4 days - coastal - San Fran to Garibaldi, OR - tips? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 10-08-2016, 11:15 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
Question 4 days - coastal - San Fran to Garibaldi, OR - tips?

Hi all

If all goes as planned - schedule wise - this winter we'll be driving north to get our Escape.

I remember some parts of the trip, from previous trips - but the one stretch of road that I dont recall is the coast - from San Fran to Garibaldi, OR - tips?

we'll take the 101 along the coast.

will be hotel-ing, as no Escape at that point.

any great places to spend half a day (or more) exploring + relaxing?

According to Google it is 649 miles (this part) and takes about 12 hours to drive, so having 4 full days leaves us plenty of time to explore.

Thanks.
Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 11:48 PM   #2

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Newport OR (actually they are in Nye Beach) has two of my favorites. Sylvia Beach Hotel is a literary themed B and B. And is walking distance to Nana's Irish Pub. But I'd add Bandon with lunch at Bandon Dunes ( famous golf course). And Florence. And a short side trip east of Reedsport to see the elk at the reserve.
Mandomary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 08:36 AM   #3

Trailer: shopper
Humboldt County

Just returned from a visit to my origins in Humboldt County where I loved Miranda Gardens, a historic motel in a redwood groves. Benbow Inn is also worth a look in southern Humboldt. Its fun to explore the tiny dairy town of Ferndale. Just south of Eureka there is a wonderful paved walk up Elk River with historical markers explaining the early lumber history of that area. Great breakfast pastries at Ramone's bakery and cafe in old town Eureka, but I would stay along the coast a bit north in Trinidad or Patricks Point. Humboldt has some world class B&B options, but regular motels are unremarkable.
Eurekagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 09:05 AM   #4
P&L

Trailer: Escape 19 2015
We just got back from a three week trip to Oregon and spent some time on the coast. We loved Bandon with its farmers market, crab shacks for a bite to eat, and its artistic spirit. The Oregon beaches are awesome and we loved to walk for hours on its shores.

Near Lincoln City, Depoe Bay Whale Watching Center observes the migration of the whales---there were an unusual amount last month and you could see them from the shore.

In Newport you'll find the Rogue Brewery which has a great tour.

If you have time to spend time in Seattle, near the Space Needle is a great glass exhibit "Chihuly'. That is an awesome exhibit and well worth your time. Have fun!

Lorna
P&L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 02:05 PM   #5

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
The jet boat trips on the rogue river are impressionable, sand dunes, seal rock, Newport are all OR favorites of ours.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 02:13 PM   #6

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Winter, I'd probably play it by ear- things are going to have vacancies and you may want to drive more on a rainy day (or not drive if it is raining too much) and play more on a nice one.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 02:15 PM   #7

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Oh- and I'd say more than 12 hrs driving. A lot of it is windy and scenic and you either can't or won't go as fast.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 11:45 AM   #8

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
We would second Newport. Lots to see ... the brewery, aquarium, lighthouses, beaches, great seafood, etc. In fact, we're headed back to CA from Nehalem, just north of Garibaldi and will be there for two nights. Also second Bobbie54's suggestion to play it by ear. You didn't say what month you're picking up your trailer; however, be aware of coastal storms and weather forecasts for the passes.

Jan

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 01:23 AM   #9

thanks everyone for all the great tips.... I'll have to do a bunch of research.

Old 10-11-2016, 05:32 AM   #10
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I love Oregon! But be aware... if it's important to you... there are many miles of 101 that are off the ocean and zero views. When you see it, vistas are spectacular. I've found the southern portion of 101 follows the ocean and the further north you go the more inland and away from the Pacific. The entire length is about 370 miles and completely doable in one driving day if not towing. What slows you down is the large number of small towns and reduced speed limits. Wikipedia has an accurate description of what to expect https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Route_101_in_Oregon
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 09:15 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I love Oregon! But be aware... if it's important to you... there are many miles of 101 that are off the ocean and zero views. When you see it, vistas are spectacular. I've found the southern portion of 101 follows the ocean and the further north you go the more inland and away from the Pacific. The entire length is about 370 miles and completely doable in one driving day if not towing. What slows you down is the large number of small towns and reduced speed limits. Wikipedia has an accurate description of what to expect https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Route_101_in_Oregon
Thanks Donna D!!!
Old 10-11-2016, 10:01 AM   #12

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19 "Tortuga"
a fun trip, for sure. we drive the N portion of this trip a couple times a year, live in WA just across the border and sometimes work in Trinidad, CA. A very cool motel in Crescent City is the Curly Redwood Lodge. The entire motel was built with ONE log. It's retro and inexpensive, but very clean and nice. Great mexican food too. Stop for really GREAT fish/chips at https://southbeachfishmarket.com/ just south of Newport.

have fun!

steve
flatpick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 10:45 AM   #13

Trailer: 2001 coachmen
Hwy 1 north of SF is the coastal highway! Mainly one lane, beautiful scenery! Slower traffic due to the curves that follow the coastline.
reetired is offline   Reply With Quote