5 week eclipse trip about to begin - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 07-27-2017, 04:43 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 19' Escape "Cattyshack"
5 week eclipse trip about to begin

Sunday is nearing and we're excited as we're prepping Cattyshack (our 2017 19') for a 5 week trip (the cats won't be coming however). We will work our way from Kentucky Caves to Lake of the Ozarks, then following the Oregon Trail a bit through Nebraska to Wyoming, and then Lava Hot Springs ID for a layover and dip. Then north through Montana into BC visiting Lake Louise region and the Ice Fields Highway and Revelstoke and several provincial campgrounds. Back down into Washington at state campgrounds, then to a BLM site in Eastern Oregon for the eclipse I talked about in another thread. Should be awesome. Chairs, beer, eclipse glasses, and beer at the ready...
NCopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 05:10 PM   #2

Trailer: SOLD 2016 Classic 21ft - SOLD 2016 Ram 1500 tug - ORDERED Van Replacement
Great!
We'll be at South Beach state park in Oregon on the coast. Electric & water at site, per wife.
Old 07-27-2017, 05:48 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 "Terrapin"
We'll be in the Great Smoky Mountain National Park for the eclipse. No water, no electric and probable heat and humidity. Wife is somewhat concerned. Guess we will have to make sure lots of adult beverages are well chilled on ice.
mcdonner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 06:21 PM   #4

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
It has been said in numerous commentaries about the eclipse that you need to be where you're going to view it at least the day before. We heard a communique from Oregon State Police, through friends in E.Oregon, that they're expecting I-84 and all side roads, camping spots, and even some farmland, to be packed by the morning of Aug. 21.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 06:33 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 "Terrapin"
That's what we figured so we will be in place and ready several days before so we can just kick back and enjoy the show.
mcdonner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 06:59 PM   #6

Trailer: SOLD 2016 Classic 21ft - SOLD 2016 Ram 1500 tug - ORDERED Van Replacement
Wife got South Beach reservations 4 days before eclipse, so we'll be ok.
Old 07-28-2017, 10:08 AM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
I will also be in the Great Smoky Mountains for the eclipse. Not far from home in Asheville and figure we'll be out on Lake Fontana when it gets dark. Will bring a flashlight in case any crazies in boats are cruising around when the "lights go out!"
Old 07-28-2017, 10:44 AM   #8

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Oregon preparing for up to 1,000,000 tourists for eclipse viewing! Governor authorizes National Guard to be at the ready for - uhmmmm - whatever.
Oregon governor authorizes National Guard for solar eclipse | The Seattle Times
I'm sure all the major news outlets will be running it non-stop. Call me a party-pooper, but I think I'll avoid the anticipated craziness and just catch the highlights on TV from my recliner....
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 10:52 AM   #9

Good that Oregon allows packing heat.
Old 07-28-2017, 12:20 PM   #10

Trailer: None
Eclipse in Idaho

We will drive 1.5 hrs north of where we live and camp at a friend's ranch. Plan on being there Saturday. Taking our tent trailer as we are still debating when to order our escape 19
RandyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 12:39 PM   #11

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyT View Post
We will drive 1.5 hrs north of where we live and camp at a friend's ranch. Plan on being there Saturday. Taking our tent trailer as we are still debating when to order our escape 19
The longer you debate, the longer the wait.....
Old 07-28-2017, 04:26 PM   #12

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B/2021 F150 w/ 3.5 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
Oregon preparing for up to 1,000,000 tourists for eclipse viewing! Governor authorizes National Guard to be at the ready for - uhmmmm - whatever.
Oregon governor authorizes National Guard for solar eclipse | The Seattle Times
I'm sure all the major news outlets will be running it non-stop. Call me a party-pooper, but I think I'll avoid the anticipated craziness and just catch the highlights on TV from my recliner....

Oh boy....I'm with you on the craziness. I'll catch the highlights at home and plan for the April 2024 eclipse in Texas. Maybe the novelty will wear off by then.......
Old 07-28-2017, 05:40 PM   #13

Trailer: 2012 19
War Eagle That is kind of like saying that watching the Bama kick 6 game at home and avoiding the crazy fans was a good as being there!

Graham
gyuill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 11:04 PM   #14

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santiago View Post
Great!
We'll be at South Beach state park in Oregon on the coast. Electric & water at site, per wife.
We will be on the other side of Newport at Beverly Beach State Park.
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 11:22 PM   #15

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Quote:
Originally Posted by gyuill View Post
War Eagle That is kind of like saying that watching the Bama kick 6 game at home and avoiding the crazy fans was a good as being there!
Graham
Thanks for reminding me, Graham. I haven't gotten my daily dose of the "Kick 6" replay yet today, and the day is nigh over. We were there (and for "The Prayer in Jordan Hare" against Georgia the week before), but our seats are in the upper west deck, so we couldn't get down to the field to join the on-field celebration.

New Auburn Math: 28 + 00:01 = 34!!

Now what was that about an eclipse somewhere?
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 12:07 AM   #16

Trailer: 2012- 17'B.... 2016 Tacoma SR5 TRD
Some general info from the weather network .

https://www.theweathernetwork.com/ne...eclipse/84418/
Old 07-29-2017, 07:08 AM   #17

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCopp View Post
Sunday is nearing and we're excited as we're prepping Cattyshack (our 2017 19') for a 5 week trip (the cats won't be coming however). We will work our way from Kentucky Caves to Lake of the Ozarks, then following the Oregon Trail a bit through Nebraska to Wyoming, and then Lava Hot Springs ID for a layover and dip. Then north through Montana into BC visiting Lake Louise region and the Ice Fields Highway and Revelstoke and several provincial campgrounds. Back down into Washington at state campgrounds, then to a BLM site in Eastern Oregon for the eclipse I talked about in another thread. Should be awesome. Chairs, beer, eclipse glasses, and beer at the ready...
We will be at Meramec State Park in Sullivan, MO. Started out with my sister, brother-in-law, my husband and daughter and now we have 25 family members coming! They will be traveling to join us from Michigan, Minnesota and Texas, pop-up family reunion
phalaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 09:41 AM   #18

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Eclipse

We lived in SW Iowa in the 70s and moved to NW Missouri in 78. We often camped at an Iowa State Park called Lake of Three Fires near Bedford Iowa. So we are camping at Three Fires the night before the eclipse and then driving down into Missouri into the path of the eclipse. Our grandson will be with us to explain any details I haven't studied up on. He's 9. This will be the culmination of our summer "Western swing" where we will put the new to us 21 through its paces doing the "continental" an I'm not talking about the dance.
Dave
Old 07-29-2017, 09:45 AM   #19

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
We lived in SW Iowa in the 70s and moved to NW Missouri in 78. We often camped at an Iowa State Park called Lake of Three Fires near Bedford Iowa. So we are camping at Three Fires the night before the eclipse and then driving down into Missouri into the path of the eclipse. Our grandson will be with us to explain any details I haven't studied up on. He's 9. This will be the culmination of our summer "Western swing" where we will put the new to us 21 through its paces doing the "continental" an I'm not talking about the dance.
Dave
Hi: Iowa Dave... BREAKFAST? Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 11:57 AM   #20

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: Iowa Dave... BREAKFAST? Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
No Alf, don't think Dave does a "continental" breakfast, he likes a "full" breakfast

Adrian
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote