A Quebec geography question - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 05-08-2016, 08:25 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
A Quebec geography question

I am planning a fall trip with my Escape. One possible leg of the trip would be to travel from Burlington, Vermont to Bangor, Maine. I've made this trip before, without my trailer, and found U.S. Route 2 across Vermont and New Hampshire to be quite twisty and mountainous. I'm wondering if instead I should drive north from Burlington into southern Quebec and head east, then cross back into Maine.

Is the terrain in that part of Quebec similar to hilly Vermont and New Hampshire, or does it flatten out somewhat? On the map the roads look straighter, but that might just be my wishful thinking.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 10:03 PM   #2

Trailer: 2011 Escape 19
Hello Mike: I'm not exactly sure which roads in Quebec you are considering, but if you head north from Burlington Vermont, you will be south of Montreal. I van advise that the Trans Canada Hi-way, the #20, is a very good road, quite straight and level from Montreal to Riviere Du Loup, where it turns south into New Brunswick. It may be further North than you prefer, but if you are looking for scenery, the views along the St. Lawrence River, are pastoral and the fall foliage is a continuation of the New England display.
We traveled the #20 last summer along the St Lawrence to the tip of the Gaspe, and once you are past Riviere du Loup, it becomes very curvy and mountainous, but extremely scenic as the road hugs the St Lawrence, as it follows the coastline through small fishing villages and over some very steep hills.
I'm not sure if this is helpful, but I think as you travel in Quebec the terrain becomes more mountainous the closer you get to the borders of Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine.

Jim
Leisure Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 07:40 AM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
A belated thanks for your reply. I'm not sure if I'll make it up that way, but if I do I'll try to cross the border and go to Maine via Quebec. Thanks again.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 08:21 AM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
A belated thanks for your reply. I'm not sure if I'll make it up that way, but if I do I'll try to cross the border and go to Maine via Quebec. Thanks again.
Hi: Mike Lewis... Any "Quebec Geography" lessons should also include some "Quebec Language" lessons too!!!
Our only threat crossing the US border into Maine from NB was a noted $300. fine for failure to declare a 1/4 of a red pepper. No fine this time... just a stern warning Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 09:57 AM   #5

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
I read somewhere recently that red pepper carriers were considered dangerous. You are probably now on a "no pepper" list and will be denied entry if you are found to be carrying.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote