A visit to Southern Colorado - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 04-09-2014, 11:17 AM   #1

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
A visit to Southern Colorado

Four days, a thousand miles.

Recently stayed at nice Pueblo KOA campground right beside I-25. 8 miles north of Pueblo City: very well managed, friendly, $28 for a pull thru, 30 AMP, water, Wifi, clean, heated bathroom/hot showers. Some freight train noise but otherwise agreeable.

Then drove south to Walsenburg on I-25 and toward the birding trails of the Spanish Peaks of the Sangre De Christo Range. Too early for the birds, so went west to Alamosa and the Great Sands National Park. Great Sands is on our “see it once list.” Quite dramatic. Hikers and those who go sledding camp there. Attractive sites but no hookups. Just before the park gate is a commercial camp ($35). It began to snow. We drove to Alamosa but found the KOA still closed for the winter (!) and the other local RV spot looked too red-neck-trailer trash for my beautiful 19.

So we continued west into the snowstorm, to Monte Vista where the campgrounds were also closed. Began thinking WalMart. Finally, at 7 PM in Del Norte, we found Wood & River RV park. $29 with electric and water, modest but very nice, clean, hot showers, Wifi, very friendly, exceptionally lovely beside the Rio Grande in the fresh snow.

It was then on to Durango where once again, all area campgrounds were not yet open for business. What is wrong with these people? Saw a sign indicating camping, up into the San Juan National Forest. We took that narrow road, right up to where we stopped, at a locked gate. The forest preserve was clearly only open to hikers. My problem however, was now trying to turn around to go back to town. Took half an hour of inch by inch K-turning but got it done with the help of friendly locals guiding me. Did not go over the cliff. Never would have made it with a 21. Overnighted at nice Durango WalMart.

Back across the border we thought about Shiprock, but opted instead for lunch at the Angel Peaks Badlands recreation area. It was on my “we go to these places so you don’t have to,” list.
Attached Thumbnails
SoColo105a.jpg   SoColo063a.jpg   SoColo115.jpg  
Old 04-09-2014, 12:15 PM   #2

Trailer: TBD
LOL, I grew up in Alamosa and "red neck trailer trash" pretty much fits my recollections of the area. But that was a LONG time ago. I was a kid so we just assumed that everybody brought their favorite gas siphon hose to show and tell.

But you are in one of my favorite corners of the entire world. Nothing beats the four corners area. 30 minutes south you are in red rock desert, 30 minutes north you are in alpine wonderland. You of course realize that you are a bit early in the camping season for that altitude. That's probably why you are there but most places won't open for tourists until the middle of May.
Enjoy your trip, sounds like a blast.
badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 11:28 AM   #3

Absolutely very fond of Pagosa Springs area in particular going way deep into the San Juans.
Attached Thumbnails
SoColo068A.jpg   GS-2.jpg   San-Juan1.jpg  
Old 04-10-2014, 12:23 PM   #4

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
We're still skiing in Colorado, camping season doesn't get going until mid-May or after Memorial Day higher up.
sturski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 12:38 PM   #5

I heard some ski this...
Attached Thumbnails
GS-3.jpg  
Old 04-17-2014, 02:16 AM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Beautiful pics. Other than the turn around, looks like a great time. Me and my 19 will be out there this summer as soon as she's born.

Submitted my build sheet. Is it done yet?

Mark
Blizzy and Dakota (Da Boyz)
MarksAlot is offline   Reply With Quote