Alaska 2015 - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 07-17-2015, 03:59 PM   #21

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Here is more information. Bellingham is the southern terminus coming down from Alaska...

Alaska Marine Highway System :: Official Site :: Alaska DOT&PF

Bellingham, Washington
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 04:49 PM   #22

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Well Myron I didn't have to shoo away grizzlies with a frying pan but we did get up close with one. Photo taken through the windshield and has some glare but shows how close we came. It had been lounging in a clearing quite aways for the road and we wouldn't have seen it. But we learned, when you see a vehicle stopped at the side of the road there's a good chance it's because they see some wildlife. So we stopped and then the grizzly slowly worked its' way towards us, totally unconcerned with us and ended up crossing the road right in front of us. Made the trip for my wife. After Denali and seeing the only grizzly a mere speck in the distance she'd been resigned to the fact that she might not see one up close.

Speaking of wildlife, of the three areas, BC, Yukon and Alaska, BC rated the highest for wildlife. My wife loves baby anythings. She was thrilled to be up close to the baby bison.

Jim, the Alaska ferry seems a little spendy, at $2,100 Cdn. from Haines to Prince Rupert but compared to $1600 for BC Ferries from Port Hardy to Prince Rupert, about half the distance, it's not bad. It also eliminated about 1400 km. of driving on a road that's a bit iffy.

We didn't have long term reservations. We made them a few days before. Probably OK to do that except for holidays etc.

The ferry was very scenic, some of the passages were surprisingly narrow. It was nice to leave the driving to someone else. Although, since I have nautical charts on my netbook for the Caribbean and the West coast of North America from Mexico to Alaska I was able to follow our route exactly, not that I was back seat driving or anything.

Ron
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P6080174_resize.jpg (264.1 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg P6280148_resize.jpg (180.6 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg P6280143_resize.jpg (376.6 KB, 12 views)

Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 05:00 PM   #23

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
Ron, great pictures, thanks for sharing and keep the bear spray handy. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 06:29 PM   #24

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
...the Alaska ferry seems a little spendy, at $2,100 Cdn.

Wow. As in Canadian DOLLARS? That's a cruise, not a ferry ride. I'm afraid I'd just drive the 'iffy' roads.
Old 07-17-2015, 07:19 PM   #25

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Ron, could you clarify the "iffy road" statement? The Cassiar or something else? Forest fires?

Curious minds would like to know.
Old 07-17-2015, 07:57 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Wow. As in Canadian DOLLARS? That's a cruise, not a ferry ride. I'm afraid I'd just drive the 'iffy' roads.
What are you moaning about, yes, in Canadian dollars, for you that'd be a bargain. Actually, since you do have a cabin for two nights, it sort of is a cruise. If you want to do the panhandle there's no other way. I guess you could take a real cruise ship if you like being herded like cattle but we like doing our own thing. It's the trailer that really adds to the cost.

Yes, iffy, as in the Cassiar Hwy. I've heard different comments about it. It was never really a contender, we really wanted to do the panhandle.

Ron
Old 07-17-2015, 08:20 PM   #27

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
That was the absolute best narrative. I even read it over the phone to my son and was laughing so hard visualizing all this as we deal with ferries down our way, too. (I hope it's okay to laugh since it turned out okay.)
Bellingham, Washington
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 08:50 PM   #28

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Thanks Ron.
Old 07-17-2015, 09:46 PM   #29

[QUOTE=KarenH;101392 (I hope it's okay to laugh since it turned out okay.)[/QUOTE]

Are you kidding? My trailer hanging out over space with a drop to the ocean and you're laughing!

Actually, we travel a lot and have been in lots of very strange situations that didn't seem very funny at the time but we laugh at them now. Maybe time changes your view of the situation otherwise you might never travel again.

Ron
Old 07-17-2015, 10:14 PM   #30

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
One other thing worth mentioning on taking the trailer on a ferry ride up (or down) the inside passage is that if it's an overnight ride they do not allow you to sleep in your trailer. Think it was you sleep on the floor upstairs unless you pony up another $200 for a bed.