Alaska State Ferry Experience - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-04-2016, 09:46 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA
Alaska State Ferry Experience

Has anyone ever used the Alaska State Ferry system to visit Alaska with an Escape?

What was your experience like? Where did you go? Would you do it again?
gmchamplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 09:56 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
We left the Escape rally in 2015 and drove up to Dawson Creek, the official start of the Alaska Hwy. We saw a lot, fabulous experience. The route was quite efficient. We did very little backtracking. At the end we took the Alaska State Ferry from Haines to Prince Rupert. Pricey but a good way to see all the places that aren't accessible by road.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
15-07-2015 4-07-13 PM_0001 cropped_resize.jpg  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 01:11 AM   #3

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA
That sounds like a great trip.
Was the ferry roll on - roll off, or did you have to back on?
gmchamplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 01:30 AM   #4

One was ro-ro and one was a side enter and turn 90*. Despite us being first at the terminal we were loaded last All I can say that having to back up the trailer around a 90* corner and putting the back end of the trailer out over a drop to the water was an experience. But it was worth it to get to the places not accessible by road.

Ron
Old 11-05-2016, 10:03 AM   #5

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA
We did the trip from Skagway to Bellingham with our Casita. Overnights at Sitka, Ketchikan, and Juneau (two weeks). They were all straight drive except one where I had to back the full length of the ship into a 90 degree turn to get off. Fortunately we were about the last ones off so there wasn't any traffic to work with. One of the deck hands walked in front of me as I backed and told me which way to turn the wheel. I did not have to look back through the entire operation. The trip cost about $3000 in 2007. I think I enjoyed that trip more than a cruise.
Old 11-05-2016, 10:40 AM   #6

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Man, I would love to do that with my trailer but it scares me to death!

Some years ago we wimped out with a cruise ship package up the inside passage, but it included a flight to Prudhoe Bay, a bus ride south along the pipeline, and a train ride out of Denali. Total Awesome doesn't begin to describe it.
Attached Thumbnails
Alaska05A.jpg   Prudhoe2.jpg   Prudhoe9.jpg  
Old 11-05-2016, 01:10 PM   #7

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmchamplin View Post
Was the ferry roll on - roll off, or did you have to back on?
Ferries are all roll-on/roll-off vessels, but not all are double-ended to allow you to drive nearly straight on and off.

The side entrance seems like the worst for a trailer, but if you're lucky you're one of the last few vehicles and loaded across the deck, so you don't have to turn. I haven't been on one of those (only double-ended), and don't know if any of the west coast ferries with a side entrance are operated that way.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 01:24 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post

The side entrance seems like the worst for a trailer, but if you're lucky you're one of the last few vehicles and loaded across the deck, so you don't have to turn..
Well, that was the theory. The ferry was full and we were told that we'd drive straight on and then later straight ahead and out the door on the other side. It didn't turn out that way because the area was too crowded hence having to squeeze in by turning 90* and parking with the trailer still at 90* to the truck.

When exiting I had to back up and of course there wasn't anyway to change the direction the trailer was pointed so the back end went out over the drop off to the water. Added a bit of excitement to the day.

Ron
Old 11-06-2016, 12:31 AM   #9

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for more Maiden Voyages ....
I can't speak about experiences on the Alaska Ferries with my trailer.... but as a 35 year resident of Juneau, Alaska, I can talk about the Alaska Ferry system both as a passenger and a passenger with a vehicle on board. I have made more than a dozen round trips... Juneau to Bellingham and reverse.

Heading North in the spring / summer on the ferry: Get a reservation early! Our Alaskan budget has been really suffering as a result of low oil prices. Oil funded a huge percentage (perhaps 90%) of our state budget ... as oil prices have dropped our ferry system, and a very expensive system to operate, has taken a big hit. Resulting in ferries being laid up, and routes shortened with less frequent landings.

To see as much of Alaska as you can by road, I suggest you drive the AlCan (Alaska) Highway one way and ferry the other. It doesn't matter which way you choose. Assuming you are heading up to Alaska in the late Spring, I like to leave Washington State late April or early May ... end of May is good too as that way you can come to the Rally. That early you will find snow mostly but not always on the side of the road. This is good as when it melts off the shoulder, green grass sprouts soon after and that brings game to the side of the road for viewing ..... think moose, caribou, deer, brown and black bears, lynx, fox, coyotes, wolfs, bison and lots more. Drive carefully!!!

The drive from say Bellingham to Skagway is about 2300 miles give or take a 100 miles. The road surface is good all the way, fuel available - however if you have traveled up here much, you try not to let your tank get below 1/2. Restaurants and gas stations with convenience stores can supply your food needs but super markets ... not so much.

If you are taking the Ferry North .... get a reservation as early as you can. Especially for vehicles with trailers. There is a penalty for changing reservation at the last minute but it isn't as severe as airline reservations (yet) ... and not much if you are just changing dates rather than asking for a refund. However, vehicle space may not be available for the new date. Arriving early at the terminal is important but when you arrive has little to do as to who gets loaded first. Its where you are getting off that determines loading order and even as to if you must back on. That is determined as to facilities in your destination dockage and which ferry you get on.

The ferries are expensive yes. If you consider the length of the drive, wear and tear on vehicle and you and (hopefully not) a new windshield... then the price is pretty fair. Each Southeast Alaska town ... they are all pretty small, there will be a 45 minute to 1 hour stop. That gives you enough time to zip around on your mountain bike, grab a burger / milkshake and get back on.... don't miss the boat.

There are comfortable staterooms on board for a price but usually I'm too cheap. I like the sun deck that is 1/2 covered from rain with heaters in the ceiling. I sleep on the lounge chairs .... camp pad, 1 sleeping bag below and another bag to sleep in = comfy and its free. Some people pitch free standing dome tents out from under the ceiling and heaters (fire danger) and gain a bit of privacy. Bathrooms and showers are free and near by. Heading north in the spring there are lots of young people heading up for seasonal jobs ... typically many bring guitars and other instruments - you'll be treated to some great music. If you are traveling as a couple, while you are waiting to load send your partner up to the sun deck as soon as passengers can get on , to stake out your lounge chair campsite. For a couple - one lounge chair each and between the two another to put your stuff on.

To shave costs, I frequently bring a stewardess style hand truck and a cooler that will hold breakfast and lunch plus snacks. The restaurant has access to a microwave that you can use ... for me instant oatmeal and yogurt typical for breakfast. You tend to eat for recreation. The restaurants are variable - depends on who is cooking. You can get full on dinners and everything in between. The Alaska Ferries are not cruise ships ...

The trip from Bellingham to Juneau takes 3 days and nights ... either Skagway or Haines takes an additional 6 hours or 4 respectively. These are towns with access to the Alaska Highway. Bring reading material, binoculars and cameras.

You cannot stay in your trailer while traveling. They have a "pet call" about every 4 hours where you can walk Fido on the car deck weather permitting.

This is getting long. If you want to ask more questions, I'll try to get back on this thread.

Hope this helps,

Tom
Old 11-06-2016, 01:07 AM   #10

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Good read.
Old 11-06-2016, 01:27 AM   #11

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA picked up in July 2017.
I thought you had to stay in the staterooms on overnight ferry trips. It would be nice if you could sleep in the trailer but my understanding is that you can't.
SFDavis50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 01:18 AM   #12

Yes, Tom is quite correct about that, you can't use your trailer. Too bad but that's the rule. In our younger days we've done the sleep on deck or deck chair routine. This time we broke down and got a stateroom for an extra charge. Definitely not cruise ship level but it did have its' own ensuite. We decided afterwards that it had been worth the extra charge.

Ron
Old 11-06-2016, 09:42 AM   #13

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Since spending a bit of time in Juneau and Sitka, and cruising in between in June 2015, I have wanted to go back with a trailer as part of an Alaskan trip.

I would love to actually disembark at a few stops and spend some time in each location. I see that there are a few campgrounds around, but would have to look further into that. Folks are so friendly in SE Alaska, I bet finding a spot to park would not be too tough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingHyena View Post
I can't speak about experiences on the Alaska Ferries with my trailer.... but as a 35 year resident of Juneau, Alaska, I can talk about the Alaska Ferry system both as a passenger and a passenger with a vehicle on board. I have made more than a dozen round trips... Juneau to Bellingham and reverse.
Great write up, Tom. You can bet when time gets closer to us actually doing this, could be as much as 5 years out, you will receive lots more queries from me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
This time we broke down and got a stateroom for an extra charge.
How much was the stateroom per night? I would be fine doing the lounge chair thing, but not sure the dear wife would.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 11:17 AM   #14

Trailer: 21, June 8, 2016, "The Final Frontier"
Ok. We booked our June, 2016, trip on the AMH in March via phone after consulting the schedules on the internet. We choose to start our trip in Prince Rupert, BC, after driving our brand new 21 up from Chilliwack. We chose day trips where we would see the sights from the lounge. We went to Ketchiikan, St. Petersburg, Juneau, and stopped/left the ferry at Haines. We stayed at each destination 3-4 nights to see what was there, and to let our dogs have some time ashore. Dogs stay in the cars, ours were good guys, and handled the one 8 hr. trip well. On and off, well, it was always a little different depending on how many/type of vehicles they had to load. But these ferry guys know what they are doing and like the guys says, just watch their hand signals and trust them. No close calls. Our only regrets were not being able to go to Sitka, it was too expensive and just didn't fit the schedule. Some folks we met on the ferry did do that however. It was all well worth the money and a way to see a part of Alaska we could not see otherwise. It rains a lot (be prepared). We drove back through Alaska, the Yukon, and BC. We chose to do the AMH first, as we didn't know how the ending of our trip would work out calendar wise, and it turned out to be a good choice. Just plan early, pay your trip upfront and it will be like it's a gift. If you'd like to know where we stayed at each place, just PM me.
Mary Strasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 12:00 PM   #15

Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
Very good info Tom! Sounds like a great adventure; with or without an Escape!

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 12:33 PM   #16

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Like Starvinghyeana I too have driven the Alaskan Highway many times. I make one recommendation to travelers. Check with your insurance company and get your comprehensive insurance deductible set to $0.00 the difference between $250.00 and $0.00 is usually only a few dollars. A broken windshield is a highly likely possibility when traveling the Alaskan Highway. Sometimes the trucks will go through a construction zone at high rates of speed and the rocks fly. The best solution I have found for this if you have time and have the nerve is to start swerving back and forth on the road in both lanes like you have had too many toddies and they slow right down. Sometimes you just don't have time to do that. I am sure it really makes the truck drivers mad though. Can save a windshield though. I have lost more than one windshield to construction zones.
AKCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 01:43 PM   #17

[QUOTE=Jim Bennett;167571
How much was the stateroom per night? I would be fine doing the lounge chair thing, but not sure the dear wife would. [/QUOTE]

There's various levels of cabins, inside or out, and size variations but I think it worked out to about $80US a night. Worked for us, we like our creature comforts more and more as we get older.

Ron
Old 11-06-2016, 02:44 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Since spending a bit of time in Juneau and Sitka, and cruising in between in June 2015, I have wanted to go back with a trailer as part of an Alaskan trip.

I would love to actually disembark at a few stops and spend some time in each location. I see that there are a few campgrounds around, but would have to look further into that. Folks are so friendly in SE Alaska, I bet finding a spot to park would not be too tough.

Great write up, Tom. You can bet when time gets closer to us actually doing this, could be as much as 5 years out, you will receive lots more queries from me.

How much was the stateroom per night? I would be fine doing the lounge chair thing, but not sure the dear wife would.

Hi Jim,
Would love to see you up here again.

I checked the Alaska Marine Highway site and found that an inside 2 berth room with bathroom costs $382.00 .... that is for a Bellingham - Juneau sailing .... 3 nights.

Another way to trim costs is to drive to Prince Rupert, BC and get on the ferry there. Its about a 1000 mile drive from Seattle. Excellent roads. Ferry ride is about 24 hours to Juneau and another 4 - 6 hours to Haines or Skagway.

Best web site to check out the ferries is: www.gov.dot.alaska.com

Tom
Old 11-06-2016, 02:52 PM   #19

Ooops! I had the web address wrong.

Here is the corrected address: www.dotstate.ak.us/amhs

or

www.ferryalaska.com
look for the AK DOT sub address

Sorry for the goof,
Tom
Old 11-06-2016, 04:47 PM   #20

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Strasser View Post
If you'd like to know where we stayed at each place, just PM me.
I will likely do that at some point Mary, as I do want to gather as much info as possible ahead.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
There's various levels of cabins, inside or out, and size variations but I think it worked out to about $80US a night. Worked for us, we like our creature comforts more and more as we get older.

Ron
Thanks, Ron. I too like my comforts, but if I had to can rough it a bit as well.
Quote:
Hi Jim,
Would love to see you up here again.

I checked the Alaska Marine Highway site and found that an inside 2 berth room with bathroom costs $382.00 .... that is for a Bellingham - Juneau sailing .... 3 nights.

Another way to trim costs is to drive to Prince Rupert, BC and get on the ferry there. Its about a 1000 mile drive from Seattle. Excellent roads. Ferry ride is about 24 hours to Juneau and another 4 - 6 hours to Haines or Skagway.

Tom
I would love to go out to the Alaskan again with you an quaff a few, Tom.

I would imagine there is lots to see along the drive to PR, though sailing up the coast would sure be nice too. If one factored in the costs driving and put them against the cost of sailing, I imagine it would bring them down a fair bit.

Quote:
Here is the corrected address: www.dotstate.ak.us/amhs

or

www.ferryalaska.com
look for the AK DOT sub address
That first link does not work Tom, but the second does, and I have saved it for future reference.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote