Allstays App Confusion - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 04-07-2018, 06:55 PM   #1

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Allstays App Confusion

Okay, just downloaded the app to my ipad. Paid the 10 bucks. I feel like it was a complete waste of money. I'm at their website and still can't figure things out.

Help! I know many of you on this forum use this app so I'm hoping to get some tips and answers.

I have version 9.something on my ipad. It requires version 6.whatever at least, so I should be covered there.

It found me at home just fine. I went into the filter section (after tapping on it twenty times (literally) to get it to pop open. I changed the button to green on quite a few things such as 3 stars or higher for rating, full hook ups, water/electrical, propane, etc, etc.

Then I went into the search and typed in Tulsa OK. Nothing came up. What the heck? All I get is a map of the area. I know there are campgrounds there. Is nothing popping up due to not getting 3 stars or more as a rating? So, I thought I'd changed the filters, but now I can't get back into that feature.

Just now checked Pearland TX and got the exact same thing. Just a map and nothing else. Can't access the filter tab. Took many taps for the search window to open up as well.

So, is this just a racket to get my money or what am I doing wrong? Obviously something since everyone raves about it. I would have loved to have added it to my phone but it's not available for android.

Thanks much!
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 07:13 PM   #2

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
I had to close the entire app and re-open it to get it to show anything. I had to reset all of the filters. I just had it show campgrounds this time around.

What a major PITA if I have to reset the filters for every single location (city/town) I want to check out.

I thought I read that someone uses it for route planning or something like that.

Very confused here and their FAQ on their website did not help at all.
Old 04-07-2018, 07:14 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Are the selections for the various features somehow unchecked? I know you said you had all the files checked, but it must be something like that, somewhere something needs to be checked. I will look deeper on my app. That's about all I can think of.

I have the free app on my Note 8, and this is what I saw when I typed in Tulsa.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20180407-180926.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	30710
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 07:14 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Your final statement about Allstays not being available for Android had me puzzled, as I have it on my Android tablet and it works really well. But I checked the Allstays website and sure enough, it was withdrawn from Android late last year. People who had already installed it can still use it, as I did yesterday for trip planning. See the website for details. That's too bad.

I'm sorry I can't help you with the iOS version.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 07:23 PM   #5

I just looked and I have no filters checked so I think it is showing everything. I never actually used the filters, just typed in a location and clicked on an icon of interest.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 04-07-2018, 08:16 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
Laura, thanks for bringing this up because I have tried using it a few times and finally gave up. Hopefully i’lll learn something.
Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 08:34 PM   #7

Trailer: None now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
Your final statement about Allstays not being available for Android had me puzzled, as I have it on my Android tablet and it works really well. But I checked the Allstays website and sure enough, it was withdrawn from Android late last year. People who had already installed it can still use it, as I did yesterday for trip planning. See the website for details. That's too bad.

I'm sorry I can't help you with the iOS version.
Sad thing is sooner or later the App will cease to work when you either get an updated phone or if your phone gets updated firmware. I have it too and figure one of the firmware updates mine gets will break it. I lost another orphan App back in November when mine updated to Android 8.1. Per the developer they have no plans to support Android anymore.
No way I'd take them up on the offer of $10 towards paying yearly for the web version. Also if I am reading it right they are no longer updating the information on the android app so it will become outdated.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 08:35 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthe View Post
Laura, thanks for bringing this up because I have tried using it a few times and finally gave up. Hopefully i’lll learn something.
Whew, glad it's not just me.

I've given up on it for tonight.

What's really frustrating me is that I do a google search for a location (let's keep using Tulsa as an example) and campgrounds come up. I also check on the "10 best campgrounds" sort of link. Read the reviews. Go to another "10 best" site and the one that looked the best at the other place (like Yelp) isn't even listed. Look in my Good Sam's guide. Nope, none of them are listed except for the one that got the crappiest reviews on both "10 best" sites.

So, I thought that AllStays would help. Hasn't so far. I do have ParkAdvisor on my phone. Nope, not even the same campgrounds for Tulsa were listed. Oh, and the ones that sounded half way decent don't have any reviews on AllStays. Argh!

Right now the place in Tulsa that mentions they have a storm shelter sounds the best. But then there are some state parks that are first come sort of place and they sounded nice. But they don't have storm shelters. But do I need to worry about storm shelters for June? Clueless about the sort of weather I'll experience that time of year in that neck of the woods.

Okay, now you folks all know how frustrated I am here. This is my first big trip I've planned and I'm kind of feeling a bit overwhelmed right now I think. Time to find some chocolate.
Old 04-07-2018, 08:36 PM   #9

Maybe try reloading and check it out without making any settings. If it works then and you want to do different songs try one at a time as it would be easier to backtrack if something happens you don't like.
Old 04-07-2018, 09:45 PM   #10

Trailer: New 21 Escape (not classic)10/16 Sold Lil Snoozy 7/16
Allstays

Guys I don’t know what version you have but we use it all the time it’s the BEST $10 I’ve spent on camping sites .we have used on I pad I phone android tablet so it works on all so far . I just go to where I’m going and lots of campsites come up Maybe I don’t put in to many filters?
jennykatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 05:44 AM   #11

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennykatz View Post
Guys I don’t know what version you have but we use it all the time it’s the BEST $10 I’ve spent on camping sites .we have used on I pad I phone android tablet so it works on all so far . I just go to where I’m going and lots of campsites come up Maybe I don’t put in to many filters?
I have had pretty much the same experience with , and I got it back in the days when it didn’t cost $10. My only complaint is the “photos” component. Allstays displays photos of local attractions and includes some photos, even of campsites, that appear on the tabs of other nearby campgrounds. I would like to see what the campground in question looks like. Back in the day there was another app (We Camp Here) that did just that and I felt it was much better than Allstays. Sadly, the creator of the app ceased supporting it and it followed in the footsteps of the Dodo Bird. Now I consider Allstays to be the best available.
Old 04-08-2018, 06:31 AM   #12

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Allstays App Confusion

We have used Allstays extensively, and find it extremely useful. The filters can be tricky though. The thing to understand is that if you select any filters, the app only shows items that meet *all* of the criteria that you choose. That is, any item in the database that doesn’t meet every criteria you chose won’t show up. Think of each check mark as an AND modifier, not an OR modifier. So if you choose more than a couple of filters you will wipe out pretty much everything because all of the different database entries are going to have different attributes.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the database has a lot of mistakes in it, so you can’t fully trust it to be accurate. So for instance, say you’re looking for a campground that’s open all year because you want to go camping in February. Not every campground that is actually open year round will have that correctly flagged in the database, so if you choose that as a filter, there are campgrounds that will disappear, even though they’re open.

Another app that we also use is the Ultimate Campground Project. It offers similar functionality to Allstays, but with more strict focus on campgrounds and less on other stuff that. One really nice feature of this app is that if you change the default map type to something other than the Apple standard one, eg the Open Streets option, the app will cache all the maps you look at while you have internet access, which is super handy for when you drive out beyond cellular reception! Just be sure to pan and zoom around the areas that you’re planning to go, and click on the potential campgrounds you might visit, and it’ll save it for when you’re off the net. Nice.
Old 04-08-2018, 08:32 AM   #13

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post
We have used Allstays extensively, and find it extremely useful. The filters can be tricky though. The thing to understand is that if you select any filters, the app only shows items that meet *all* of the criteria that you choose. That is, any item in the database that doesn’t meet every criteria you chose won’t show up. Think of each check mark as an AND modifier, not an OR modifier. So if you choose more than a couple of filters you will wipe out pretty much everything because all of the different database entries are going to have different attributes.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the database has a lot of mistakes in it, so you can’t fully trust it to be accurate. So for instance, say you’re looking for a campground that’s open all year because you want to go camping in February. Not every campground that is actually open year round will have that correctly flagged in the database, so if you choose that as a filter, there are campgrounds that will disappear, even though they’re open.

Another app that we also use is the Ultimate Campground Project. It offers similar functionality to Allstays, but with more strict focus on campgrounds and less on other stuff that. One really nice feature of this app is that if you change the default map type to something other than the Apple standard one, eg the Open Streets option, the app will cache all the maps you look at while you have internet access, which is super handy for when you drive out beyond cellular reception! Just be sure to pan and zoom around the areas that you’re planning to go, and click on the potential campgrounds you might visit, and it’ll save it for when you’re off the net. Nice.
I also use both apps, and agree that you have to be careful using the filter. Multiple filters can give unexpected results. As to the Ultimate Campground Project, it is great, but only covers non commercial campgrounds. It do ofter list non commercial campgrounds that are left out of Allstays.
Old 04-08-2018, 01:24 PM   #14

Trailer: 2012 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
Whew, glad it's not just me.

I've given up on it for tonight.

What's really frustrating me is that I do a google search for a location (let's keep using Tulsa as an example) and campgrounds come up. I also check on the "10 best campgrounds" sort of link. Read the reviews. Go to another "10 best" site and the one that looked the best at the other place (like Yelp) isn't even listed. Look in my Good Sam's guide. Nope, none of them are listed except for the one that got the crappiest reviews on both "10 best" sites.

So, I thought that AllStays would help. Hasn't so far. I do have ParkAdvisor on my phone. Nope, not even the same campgrounds for Tulsa were listed. Oh, and the ones that sounded half way decent don't have any reviews on AllStays. Argh!

Right now the place in Tulsa that mentions they have a storm shelter sounds the best. But then there are some state parks that are first come sort of place and they sounded nice. But they don't have storm shelters. But do I need to worry about storm shelters for June? Clueless about the sort of weather I'll experience that time of year in that neck of the woods.

Okay, now you folks all know how frustrated I am here. This is my first big trip I've planned and I'm kind of feeling a bit overwhelmed right now I think. Time to find some chocolate.
I live in a suburb of Tulsa (Broken Arrow). If I can help with any advice, let me know. I don't actually camp at any of the places around town (I camp on long trips out of state), but I've read comments that the COE CG, Tall Chief Cove on Skiatook Lake (north of Tulsa) is pleasant. I have been to Osage State Park between Bartlesville and Pawhuska, and that's nice too, but not sure if that is off your route or not.

As for storm shelters, which CGs have those? I was totally unaware. Personally, I would not pick a CG based primarely on the criterion of whether it has a storm shelter, but I live here so I guess I put that out of my mind for the most part. The odds of being hit by a tornado in any given location are really quite slim. Yet it's impossible to say when or if a tornado might touch down. We do have a small "New Day" steel shelter http://www.newdaytornadoshelters.com...php/size-shape bolted to the slab in our garage; it's rounded like our eggs. In the 26 years we have lived around here, we have had only one close call: a tornado passed overhead (we could hear the trainlike roar from our shelter) and touched down about 2 miles past us where it messed up some buildings (no one injured).

If you want to tell me where you're coming from and where you're headed afterward, I might be able to make other suggestions that match your route. PM me if you like, or whatever.
Mike G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 02:03 PM   #15

Trailer: April 2016 Escape 19
Send a message via Skype™ to redtaco99
I am back in Canada after a 3 month trip to the South West. Last week or about 10 days ago, I stayed at Foss Reservoir State Park. Last year I stayed in Cherokee Landing and Great Plains State Parks. I love Oklahoma Parks. This time of year they are not crowded. At Foss I had electrical and water hookup. Last year at Cherokee Landing when they had Tornado warnings, the park ranger came to see me and said that if I knock on your door in the middle of the night, move your butt quickly to the washroom. Yes, the washrooms are built very sturdily with concrete and brick and serve as Tornado shelters in such an event.

I use Allstays Camp and RV (maybe you are using the Camp and Tent version). It has always worked great for me (the Apple device version). When you click on "Images" it actually does an immediate Google Image search on the camp site name and I believe thats what you would be seeing.

Jim

Quote:
Okay, just downloaded the app to my ipad. Paid the 10 bucks. I feel like it was a complete waste of money. I'm at their website and still can't figure things out.

Help! I know many of you on this forum use this app so I'm hoping to get some tips and answers.

I have version 9.something on my ipad. It requires version 6.whatever at least, so I should be covered there.

It found me at home just fine. I went into the filter section (after tapping on it twenty times (literally) to get it to pop open. I changed the button to green on quite a few things such as 3 stars or higher for rating, full hook ups, water/electrical, propane, etc, etc.

Then I went into the search and typed in Tulsa OK. Nothing came up. What the heck? All I get is a map of the area. I know there are campgrounds there. Is nothing popping up due to not getting 3 stars or more as a rating? So, I thought I'd changed the filters, but now I can't get back into that feature.

Just now checked Pearland TX and got the exact same thing. Just a map and nothing else. Can't access the filter tab. Took many taps for the search window to open up as well.

So, is this just a racket to get my money or what am I doing wrong? Obviously something since everyone raves about it. I would have loved to have added it to my phone but it's not available for android.

Thanks much!
redtaco99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 04:51 PM   #16

Trailer: 2016 21 ft escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennykatz View Post
I agree,! I use mine all the time. Don’t know what your doing wrong. Wish I could help. I use iPad.
Jake930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 09:24 PM   #17

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
As for storm shelters, which CGs have those?
I've been in some campgrounds where the campground bathroom and shower buildings were considered to be the storm shelters, and there were signs saying to go there in case of severe weather.

Quote:
We do have a small "New Day" steel shelter Size & Shape bolted to the slab in our garage; it's rounded like our eggs.
Now that's interesting.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 10:31 PM   #18

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Time to find some chocolate.
Yes, we have a drawer in the kitchen with that remedy for stress and any other reason we can think of.

I just downloaded Ultimate Campgrounds two days ago so I don't have any road experience with it. It looks quite good.

Using Tulsa as a reference it showed the Expo Square RV park right downtown and a host of other types, like county parks, nearby. Might be worth a quick look.

Ron, who never found a chocolate that he didn't like. Actually that's not true, I hate salted chocolate.
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 10:44 PM   #19

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Yes, we have a drawer in the kitchen with that remedy for stress and any other reason we can think of.

I just downloaded Ultimate Campgrounds two days ago so I don't have any road experience with it. It looks quite good.

Using Tulsa as a reference it showed the Expo Square RV park right downtown and a host of other types, like county parks, nearby. Might be worth a quick look.

Ron, who never found a chocolate that he didn't like. Actually that's not true, I hate salted chocolate.
Ron you shock me ! Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 11:13 PM   #20

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Laura, Try it without the filters. I use All Stays, for quick look ups, The "Ultimate US public Campground Project" app for public (not private) campgrounds, and "Campendium" for in depth campground reviews. All work well for me on the IOS (Apple) platform.
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote