Anything to see in eastern North Dakota? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-04-2019, 09:31 AM   #21

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone
North Dakota

I took Nancy there for our honeymoon. We must have enjoyed our experience because we spent about 2 years there. We remember the grass growing right up to the edge of the roads, the delightful little towns (before oil) and all the little lakes.
Of course we also enjoyed riding our motorcycles through Nebraska many years later. Also interesting little towns.
Jack
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 10:12 AM   #22

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
Well, actually the UP is the area south of Lake Superior. It's the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, or U.P. North of Superior is may be farther "up" on the map but it's not UP, if you get my drift. The Canada route is woods, woods, and more woods, but a few nice views of the lake from Wawa south to the Soo.

The "North Shore" mentioned is the area of Minnesota north of Duluth along the Superior shoreline. This is worth going out of your way to visit. Then back to Duluth and head east into da UP. The MN state parks along the North Shore will be your spots to visit, but without reservations you can pretty much forget about camping in them. I suggest one of the state forest CGs like Eckbeck, which are first-come, rustic, and tend to not fill up until late in the day. In a pinch, there's free RV parking (overnight ok) in Silver Bay on a hill with a view of the lake; see the listing on US AND CANADA CAMPGROUNDS - FORMAL AND DISPERSED PUBLIC CAMPING LOCATIONS - Website Map
Each of the state parks has a river with at least one waterfall within fairly easy walking distance. Split Rock Lighthouse is picturesque, and Palisade Head has an amazing high view of the lake a couple hundred feet straight down below you. At Grand Marais, walk out past the Coast Guard station to Artist's Point.

Skeeters in MN and MI will vary in quantity from year to year depending on the weather. Daytime out in the open, especially with a breeze, they're no big deal. A still evening in a woodsy CG will bring 'em out in force. But the scenery and ambience of the area is worth it; I'm planning to head there myself again this summer.
Actually I believe the OP understands what he's saying by north shore vs south shore, the UP. He's asking whether better to go northeast from Duluth to Thunder Bay, around top of Superior, then on still in Canada to Montreal or should he go from Duluth on the south side to Sault Ste. Marie and then into Canada to Montreal.

You're right there are many scenic spots from Wawa south but many more from Marathon west to Thunder Bay, and then of course as you've mentioned the beautiful scenic drive along the "north shore" of MN to Duluth. Traveling with our daughter from GA to Thunder Bay last summer we took a whole day to go from Duluth, touring Split Rock Lighthouse and picnicking on the beach at Grand Marais.
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 10:38 AM   #23

Trailer: 2023 21C' Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by yardsale View Post
Traveling east to Vermont from Teddy Roosevelt National Park in ND. Should we take back roads or just whistle east on 94? (Late June)
We lived in Bismarck for three years and made it a point to see the state (transplant from Colorado and Iowa). Places to see include Fort Abraham Lincoln State Park outside of Mandan, home of the 7th Calvary(Custer) before his trip to the Little Bighorn; north of Bismarck there are many places that celebrate Lewis and Clark as they wintered at Fort Mandan; Cross Ranch State Park; Long Lake National Wildlife Refuge(great bird watching), east of Bismarck on I 94, International Peace Park on the US Canada Border, north of Bismarck. Sheyenne National Grasslands in the southeast part of the state; Pembina Gorge north of Grand Forks(not the Grand Canyon but scenic) University of North Dakota and Grand Forks Air Force Base in Grand Forks, just to name a few. While these may be in the "Biggest Ball of Twine" category, the state does have a certain beauty, aura and history that should not be overlooked. As we said in the Navy " Liberty is what you make it" Safe Travels.
Cyclones forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 10:58 AM   #24

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by azjack View Post
I took Nancy there for our honeymoon. We must have enjoyed our experience because we spent about 2 years there. We remember the grass growing right up to the edge of the roads, the delightful little towns (before oil) and all the little lakes.
Of course we also enjoyed riding our motorcycles through Nebraska many years later. Also interesting little towns.
Jack
Wow, a 2 year Honeymoon, congrats you two, my second marriage lasted less than that!!
Old 05-04-2019, 01:27 PM   #25

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Wow, a 2 year Honeymoon, congrats you two, my second marriage lasted less than that!!
That's cause Jack got a job in Minot. so why do you think he lives in Tucson now
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote