Anything to see in eastern North Dakota? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-26-2019, 02:03 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 17b/ 2012 Chevy Colorado
Anything to see in eastern North Dakota?

Traveling east to Vermont from Teddy Roosevelt National Park in ND. Should we take back roads or just whistle east on 94? (Late June)
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 02:25 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19 (TV: 2007 Chevy Tahoe)
East from N. Dakota

I think I would stay north through MN, into Michigan's Upper Peninsula, across the Mackinaw Bridge, then south down the Lake Michigan shore... It would be a much prettie ride with less traffic v. Int. 94, and there are lots of places to stay and to see along the way...
Gary
pkgman51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 02:50 PM   #3

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkgman51 View Post
I think I would stay north through MN, into Michigan's Upper Peninsula, across the Mackinaw Bridge, then south down the Lake Michigan shore... It would be a much prettie ride with less traffic v. Int. 94, and there are lots of places to stay and to see along the way...
Having lived in central Minnesota (Ashby) for nearly 20 years, 87 miles from Fargo/Moorhead, and driven 94 across North Dakata at least 20 times, I'll agree with your route. From Medora to Fergus Falls, Minnesota, on 94, you'll need to drink plenty of coffee to stay awake.

However, at Moorhead start going east to Bemidji. Take a couple of days and enjoy Itasca State Park (the Headwaters of the Mississippi). If you're carrying bikes there is a to die for 17 mile trail around the park. Jay Cooke State Park is another great place to stay with another great bike trail into Duluth. You can also enjoy the Iron Range, bike the Mesabi Trail, or walleye fish on one of the area's lakes. Did I say Minnesota has fantastic bike trails? From Duluth east I'll let someone else chime-in.

OTOH if one is going to take 94 to Chicago, turn south past Bismark on 83 to Linton, then east on 13 all the way to Fergus Falls. You'll get to see rural North Dakota on that route. We have taken it many times. Sit back, cruise at 57 mph, eat at a local cafe, and enjoy the area.

Food for thought,

Perry
Old 04-26-2019, 07:24 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
Having lived in Fargo for three years I would say the best way to see eastern ND is at 60 mph with the a/c on and the windows rolled up. Once you hit Detroit Lakes MN there are a number of places to visit. Beside what has been mentioned look at Cass Lake (not the village), Winnebegosish Lake and North Shore.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 08:58 PM   #5

Trips and Travel Planning...

See this thread for more ideas...."Middle America Ideas: Those Lesser Known Gems"...
Old 04-26-2019, 11:33 PM   #6

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
When traveling in North Dakota , I always try to make sure some one else is driving because then I can take a nap and not miss seeing anything important . . When you hit Minnesota head toward Duluth then into the UP of Michigan and over to Sault St Marie .
Lots of nice lakes and camping in the Grand Rapids / Brainard Lakes area of Mn
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 09:22 AM   #7

OK then, a little harsh on ND? I should talk; I feel the same way about Nebraska and I 80. Thanks for all the suggestions for east of there however. It is fun planning this trip. I want to be sure to visit the Twin Cities for some summer skiing! (Notice I said I, not we )
Old 04-27-2019, 09:32 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardsale View Post
OK then, a little harsh on ND? I should talk; I feel the same way about Nebraska and I 80. Thanks for all the suggestions for east of there however. It is fun planning this trip. I want to be sure to visit the Twin Cities for some summer skiing! (Notice I said I, not we )
If you come to the Twin Cities , I would suggest you skip the MOA and visit the Como Park Conservatory in St Paul .
The building , plants and colors are beautiful and your visit is free
The park also has a newly remodeled zoo which is also free
The park has a picnic area , golf course and a nice small lake
with geese and swans
One of my favorite places to visit when I was a kid and still is as an adult
Old 04-27-2019, 11:57 AM   #9

Trailer: Escape
Quote:
OK then, a little harsh on ND? )
The responses provide you with an opportunity to get off the main road, explore, and take some time to explore ND in a way no one else has bothered to do. If you do, please report back.
Viajante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 10:01 AM   #10

Bummer, the Twin Cities ski area doesn't open until Labor Day.
Old 05-03-2019, 10:20 AM   #11

Very helpful responses folks. Thinking more comprehensively, we need to decide if seeing the UP in Michigan is worth heading NE and traveling North of Superior towards Montreal, vs. heading to Duluth and taking the shorter route South of Superior to Montreal (and hence to Vermont) What will the mosquitoes be like in the UP during the first/second week of July. Any better in the southern route?
Old 05-03-2019, 10:55 AM   #12

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Quote:
Very helpful responses folks. Thinking more comprehensively, we need to decide if seeing the UP in Michigan is worth heading NE and traveling North of Superior towards Montreal, vs. heading to Duluth and taking the shorter route South of Superior to Montreal (and hence to Vermont) What will the mosquitoes be like in the UP during the first/second week of July. Any better in the southern route?
Of course having lived in Thunder Bay I would like to recommend north of Superior but take into account the high cost of fuel (currently $1.40/litre) along the north shore. The UP is interesting to see although taking Hwy 28 you only see the lake in two places.

Now about ND we live virtually on the NE corner of the state. Yes prairie travel can be boring but there are sights to see (although few and far between). I traveled US2 across the state last year and was intrigued by the oil production facilities around Williston.
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 11:39 AM   #13

Trailer: 21NE picked up in May 2022
Make sure you pick up a few 2 pound bags of "Dot's Pretzels" from Velva, ND. They are "addictive".

Randy in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 12:17 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy in Maine View Post
Make sure you pick up a few 2 pound bags of "Dot's Pretzels" from Velva, ND. They are "addictive".

I donno, being originally from Maine it feels disloyal
Old 05-03-2019, 12:19 PM   #15

THAT doesn't make much sense Nick.
Old 05-03-2019, 01:02 PM   #16

Trailer: 21NE picked up in May 2022
Trust me on this one. I get them on a regular basis from Amazon anymore.

It works well with a Guinness on picnic table... w or w/o a campfire.
Randy in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 01:13 PM   #17

Mosquitos?

"What will the mosquitoes be like in the UP during the first/second week of July?"
About the size of sparrows! And, thick as thieves.
Nah...ain't that bad when you use a little deet....
G
Old 05-03-2019, 01:44 PM   #18

We live in Northern Wisconsin a short distance from the UP
The mosquitoes are not bad yet but wevhad a frost this morning ( 29 deg)
The ticks are out in full force already so be aware , you don’t want to get lymes disease.
We found that you need something with at least 40% DEET if you want to keep the ticks and mosquitoes away . We’ve already pulled a bunch of ticks off our dog
Have not seen any black flies yet but it’s supposed to be hot this weekend with temps in the 70’s so they will be coming out shortly
Hope you have a great and safe trip
Old 05-03-2019, 09:29 PM   #19

Menards has the 1 lb bag of Dot’s pretzels on sale this coming week for $3.88
I have to admit they are quite addictive
Old 05-03-2019, 10:13 PM   #20

Trailer: 2012 E19
Quote:
Well, actually the UP is the area south of Lake Superior. It's the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, or U.P. North of Superior is may be farther "up" on the map but it's not UP, if you get my drift. The Canada route is woods, woods, and more woods, but a few nice views of the lake from Wawa south to the Soo.

The "North Shore" mentioned is the area of Minnesota north of Duluth along the Superior shoreline. This is worth going out of your way to visit. Then back to Duluth and head east into da UP. The MN state parks along the North Shore will be your spots to visit, but without reservations you can pretty much forget about camping in them. I suggest one of the state forest CGs like Eckbeck, which are first-come, rustic, and tend to not fill up until late in the day. In a pinch, there's free RV parking (overnight ok) in Silver Bay on a hill with a view of the lake; see the listing on US AND CANADA CAMPGROUNDS - FORMAL AND DISPERSED PUBLIC CAMPING LOCATIONS - Website Map
Each of the state parks has a river with at least one waterfall within fairly easy walking distance. Split Rock Lighthouse is picturesque, and Palisade Head has an amazing high view of the lake a couple hundred feet straight down below you. At Grand Marais, walk out past the Coast Guard station to Artist's Point.

Skeeters in MN and MI will vary in quantity from year to year depending on the weather. Daytime out in the open, especially with a breeze, they're no big deal. A still evening in a woodsy CG will bring 'em out in force. But the scenery and ambience of the area is worth it; I'm planning to head there myself again this summer.
Mike G is offline   Reply With Quote