Arizona travel route - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-20-2018, 09:34 PM   #1

Trailer: 5.0TA 2016 Spirit Bear
Arizona travel route

Hi it’s me again! Once we head east from Bakersfield we plan to go to Sedona, Scottsdale, Joshua Tree, Palm Desert then Anza Borrego in that order. Please chime in if you have any suggestions etc! Thanks!
Old 01-20-2018, 10:53 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19'
We have stayed at Zane Grey Rv park in Camp Verde and take day trips to Sedona. Very well kept grounds, woodsy setting. Lower elevation than Sedona, milder night-time temps.

Try Cave Creek Regional Park near Scottsdale. Usury Mountain is another nice county park close to Phoenix.

Take a look at Lost Dutchman State Park if you want to spend more time in the greater Phoenix area.

We have stayed at Davis Camp near Bullhead City. Nice location next to the river, but there we had undesirable long-term residents at the next site.

Cattail Cove and Buckskin Mtn AZ state parks are worth considering on the return route, but you have to book early.
KirkB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 09:52 AM   #3

Trailer: 2016 21/ '16 Tundra 4.6L Dbl. Cab
If you go, plan to spend at least 2-3 days at Joshua Tree. Big park and lots to see. Fabulous landscape on a self guided tour. Bring a lunch each day. There are 8 campgrounds in/around the park, and all are rustic. No water or electricity at sites, but potable water at dump station. We stayed at Blackrock and thoroughly enjoyed New-Year 2017. No showers, but flushing toilets and running water in bathroom. In January, temperatures get into the high 20’s F overnight, and if it rains, you can get a dusting of snow.
(877) 444-6777 for reservations and info on gov’t shutdown.

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 10:14 AM   #4

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21
Hi Lynn. We have camped in Anza Borrego a few times. If you want a full hook up all amenities type spot then The Springs at Borrego is very very nice. It is a little pricey at about $70 per night. There is also a state park in Anza Borrego which is not as expensive. My least favorite is Palm Canyon RV Resort. It's kinda right in town but cramped, crowded and noisy.
Old 01-21-2018, 12:18 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
At Anzio Borrego, drive out to Borrego Springs Road and check out the metal sculptures. Here is a link to more photos: 2017-18 Trip
Attached Thumbnails
_JRV9560.jpg  
Old 01-21-2018, 12:21 PM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
If you take US 89 through Jerome, be prepared for some narrow lanes & steep switchbacks. That said, it is an interesting town to visit, although you will have difficulty finding parking for the tow & trailer.
Old 01-21-2018, 12:27 PM   #7

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
Re anza borrego--I've stayed at the state park near town ( the park is huge and there's another campground in another part of the park a loooong way away). Don't miss the hike from the campground along the creek to the oasis. It's very cool. Also take binocs to see the desert bighorn sheep which are very well camouflaged. Nice visitor center.

I've stayed at dead horse ranch state park which is not all that far from Sedona and a nice park w good restrooms and showers. The town of Jerome is a cool place to visit. There's a shop there that is run by a family who make kaleidoscopes that has some really amazing pieces. You can buy a tiny tube kaleidoscope that you can use to take a kaleidoscopic picture through your phone camera.
Old 01-21-2018, 12:35 PM   #8

Crossed with Jon.

In Phoenix for a unique experience go to Organ Stop Pizza. There's a giant organ that rises up from the floor and the diners sing along w movie themes, show tunes, etc. the pizza was actually good as well. Warning, it can be really crowded so go early. If there's a line outside it moves pretty fast as it's the line to order, and then you find a seat. Even my granddaughters loved it.

Also if you're interested, in Phoenix is the Hall of Flame firefighters museum with fire "engines" through history, from human-pulled through modern.
Old 04-04-2018, 01:37 PM   #9

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2owmn View Post
In Phoenix for a unique experience go to Organ Stop Pizza. There's a giant organ that rises up from the floor and the diners sing along w movie themes, show tunes, etc. the pizza was actually good as well.
Be sure to ask for "Bohemian Rhapsody" by Queen. Great song on the pipe organ. And then be sure to give the player a good tip as it's well worth whatever is played.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 01:45 PM   #10

Trailer: 2016 Escape 17B
I spent a week last April at Tombstone RV Park & Campground. I had a blast! I spent time in Tombstone, Bisbee, and the surrounding area. Good hiking around the Cochise Stronghold and the Chiricahua National Monument.
gelayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 01:52 PM   #11

NW Cat, I am so sorry we did not think of that one. My granddaughters would have loved it, as they learned the whole thing for a local theater/chorus performance (!!!).
Old 04-04-2018, 08:20 PM   #12

Trailer: Escape #2 - 2017 ‘21; 2018 Silverado 2500 (diesel, crew cab, long box, 4X4, SnugTop, air bags)
Check out SKP Saguaro Co-op in Benson, 45 miles east of Tucson. It’s very clean and friendly, and it makes for a good jumping off place for many attractions - Tombstobe, Bisbee, Kartchner Caverns, Tubac, and a ton of other things in the Tucson area.

The best part? For first-time visitors, the rate is $50 plus tax and electric for an entire week! Even I can afford that.