August 2017 Solar Eclipse - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 11-17-2016, 02:51 AM   #1

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
August 2017 Solar Eclipse

Okay, was anyone else trying to get a reservation for it? Holy Cow! I could not get a spot for the longest time. A site would pop up saying it was available and then when I'd click on it, it was gone. Drove me nuts. Couldn't get anything within the totality path and finally ended up at a site south of Bend OR at LaPine State Park (I grabbed whatever I could after trying for over 30 mins at other places closer) that's 15-30 miles from the path. Hopefully we can drive up to be within the totality path.

Holy Cow! I've never experienced anything like that before! Is it always that way during prime times? Yeah, not booking sites during the summer, I guess.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 05:51 AM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
No, what you experienced isn't even close to being normal when making reservations. I didn't even try. The only time I can think it even comes close is when a bunch of folks try to get reservations at Bullard's Beach State Park for the Oregon Gathering. And even that has calmed down over the past several years.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 09:45 AM   #3

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Thanks for that Donna. Least you can drive down to the totality and fight the traffic, I'm sure. In the Oregon State Parks email about it, it didn't mention that you needed to book starting your reservation from the 17th. We read it to mean you could book anywhere between the 17th and 21st, not starting on that date.

I finally figured that out when I got an error message stating the 18th or 19th was too early and it had to start on the 17th. That was at least 20 mins after starting out. Tried the new starting date - nothing at multiple places. Finally got that one spot. Jeez!

Glad to know I won't go through that mess again. Least for normal times. I will try my preferred campground throughout the year, just in case something pops up. Hey, you never know.
Old 11-17-2016, 09:48 AM   #4

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Yikes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
Okay, was anyone else trying to get a reservation for it? Holy Cow! I could not get a spot for the longest time. A site would pop up saying it was available and then when I'd click on it, it was gone. Drove me nuts. Couldn't get anything within the totality path and finally ended up at a site south of Bend OR at LaPine State Park (I grabbed whatever I could after trying for over 30 mins at other places closer) that's 15-30 miles from the path. Hopefully we can drive up to be within the totality path.

Holy Cow! I've never experienced anything like that before! Is it always that way during prime times? Yeah, not booking sites during the summer, I guess.
Yes, I had the same experience. Couldn't book anything in central OR. Finally settled for a site at Beverly Beach State park on the coast. Hopefully the weather will be clear on 8/21/2017.

We stayed at LaPine in 2014 when we attended the Sister's Outdoor Quilt show. It is a nice park. However on the morning of the eclipse you may want to head north real early in the morning...like 5 or 6. You will have to get through Bend to get to the path of totality and I bet traffic will be pretty heavy. Good luck!
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 09:53 AM   #5
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
When Dave&Kathie and I drove through central and eastern Oregon in September, it seemed like every large flat spot had a billboard touting RV parking for the Eclipse. All the private RV parks were full. I'll probably end up watching it on television.

Something to remember, is man-made light pollution. More and more street lights and park lights are on sensors for lighting dusk to dawn. IF you don't get out and away from THAT the light pollution will really interfere with the total darkness. Plan ahead for where you want to be during the Eclipse
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 10:01 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by arniesea View Post
Yes, I had the same experience. Couldn't book anything in central OR. Finally settled for a site at Beverly Beach State park on the coast. Hopefully the weather will be clear on 8/21/2017.

We stayed at LaPine in 2014 when we attended the Sister's Outdoor Quilt show. It is a nice park. However on the morning of the eclipse you may want to head north real early in the morning...like 5 or 6. You will have to get through Bend to get to the path of totality and I bet traffic will be pretty heavy. Good luck!
I even tried along the coast. Good to know about LaPine. And yeah, we plan to get up really early and head north for a better viewing area. I'm sure we'll end up stuck alongside the road somewhere with everyone else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
When Dave&Kathie and I drove through central and eastern Oregon in September, it seemed like every large flat spot had a billboard touting RV parking for the Eclipse. All the private RV parks were full. I'll probably end up watching it on television.

Something to remember, is man-made light pollution. More and more street lights and park lights are on sensors for lighting dusk to dawn. IF you don't get out and away from THAT the light pollution will really interfere with the total darkness. Plan ahead for where you want to be during the Eclipse
Good point, Donna. Yeah, if I had some flat spots, I'd be renting it out.
Old 11-17-2016, 10:10 AM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
We are in the path and its coming over our house.
Old 11-17-2016, 10:13 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post

Donna, this is a solar eclipse at about 10:15 in morning. I don't think it will be total darkness because the sun's cornea will still provide some light. I could be wrong about that. Something to research.
- Bremerton, WA
Old 11-17-2016, 10:44 AM   #9

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
There is a weekend event in Madras called Solarfest. Maybe they still have space.
Mandomary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 01:43 PM   #10

Trailer: SOLD 2016 Classic 21ft - SOLD 2016 Ram 1500 tug - ORDERED Van Replacement
My pretend "travel agent" wife got us a spot at South Bay state park on the beach per campground map. She said it's in the path.
Old 11-17-2016, 01:58 PM   #11

Trailer: Escape 21 'Toto'
A few weeks ago we and some friends made reservations (almost the last spot available) at the Port of Newport RV Marina / RV Park -- just in case we weren't able to get into a central Oregon state park. Four of us on computers at midnight... no sites for us. We'll head to Newport and hope for a clear morning on the 21st.

As an aside... my brother had indicated an interest in joining us, but staying at an inn/motel/resort. I found this morning that you can reserve rooms at the La Quinta in Newport... for only $599 per night.

That is so not happening.
Old 11-17-2016, 02:04 PM   #12

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
As a last resort you could just close your eyes.
Old 11-17-2016, 02:06 PM   #13

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
I've gone out and setup on many of these type events over the years, Perseid's, Eclipse, etc. Backpacked into remote mountaintops to witness them, camped in the back country, trailered. It always seems to cloud up and rain all night no matter where I've gone to witness them.
I finally gave up and just sit in the hot tub in the back yard when they occur and did actually get to see the "red moon" event recently.
Best of luck to all making plans, hope it goes well.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 02:16 PM   #14

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
The way we travel it'd be; stop at the last rest stop in WA, drive to the area of totality and off the highway on a side road to view the eclipse and then on to Valley of the Rogue for the night.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 02:33 PM   #15

Trailer: Feb 2017 5.0TA "Cackleberry" - 2016 Chevy Silverado
I was also up burning the midnite oil-told my brother (the astrology guy) I'd see what I could find and of course the parks in the path were all taken-so I headed for the "perimeter parks" (he said inland & east would be good) and found a spot at Wallowa Lake SP. Has some pretty pics and is not too far north of one of the pathway parks. My Mom wants to go too, so should be an adventure!
jensworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 03:12 PM   #16

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17B
Folks:
As of this morning, there were a few reservations available in WY State Parks in the path of the eclipse. WY is offering "Eclipse Packages" with a minimum stay of 4 nights ($240 US for non-residents). They are taking advantage of potential demand as the normal camping fee for 4 nights (no hook-ups) is only $68. To be fair, the package includes star parties and other eclipse related events. However, if you want a reserved site in the path of the eclipse, there are a few spots left--you may want to act quickly.
Dave
Dave & Penny Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 03:41 PM   #17

Trailer: 2015 19 foot
Oregon State Parks warned that traffic would be at a standstill so we decided to go for a site in the eclipse zone, Cove Palisades. I was on the ReserveAmerica site at 12:01 am when they said the reservations would open. I tried for about 20 minutes with the site saying reservations were not available for that date, then suddenly, they were available. I booked a spot in the Deschutes Campground. There were quite a few available at that point, but when I checked this morning, all were booked. I hope the weather is decent. We camped in La Pine several years ago for the Perseid Meteor Shower and it was clear one night but not clear the next night. Of course, we have only one brief time to see the eclipse so we are hopeful.
Old 11-17-2016, 04:30 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdornbush View Post
Oregon State Parks warned that traffic would be at a standstill so we decided to go for a site in the eclipse zone, Cove Palisades. I was on the ReserveAmerica site at 12:01 am when they said the reservations would open. I tried for about 20 minutes with the site saying reservations were not available for that date, then suddenly, they were available. I booked a spot in the Deschutes Campground. There were quite a few available at that point, but when I checked this morning, all were booked. I hope the weather is decent. We camped in La Pine several years ago for the Perseid Meteor Shower and it was clear one night but not clear the next night. Of course, we have only one brief time to see the eclipse so we are hopeful.
Darn! I guess I was not persistent enough for Cove Palisades. That is where I was trying to get a spot at 12:01 AM. After 15 minutes I decided to go for a sure thing in the pathway at Beverly Beach, just north of Newport on the coast. Crossing my fingers for a clear day. Congratulations for a spot at Cove Palisades. I hope the weather is clear for you too!
- Bremerton, WA
Old 11-17-2016, 07:50 PM   #19

Trailer: SOLD 2016 Classic 21ft - SOLD 2016 Ram 1500 tug - ORDERED Van Replacement
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdornbush View Post
I was on the ReserveAmerica site at 12:01 am when they said the reservations would open. I tried for about 20 minutes with the site saying reservations were not available for that date, then suddenly, they were available.
Hi Bill, that's exactly how it went for my wife, reserve site was unavailable until 20 minutes or so passed then all became available. Needless to say she was elated as she's been waiting a long time to reserve a campground. If I behave, she will invite me.
Old 11-17-2016, 08:00 PM   #20

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
Here's an Oregon State Parks web page that shows the path and has the status of campgrounds. I'm not sure how often they update the page.

2017 Solar Eclipse
garysd is offline   Reply With Quote