August 2017 Solar Eclipse - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 11-17-2016, 02:51 AM   #1

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
August 2017 Solar Eclipse

Okay, was anyone else trying to get a reservation for it? Holy Cow! I could not get a spot for the longest time. A site would pop up saying it was available and then when I'd click on it, it was gone. Drove me nuts. Couldn't get anything within the totality path and finally ended up at a site south of Bend OR at LaPine State Park (I grabbed whatever I could after trying for over 30 mins at other places closer) that's 15-30 miles from the path. Hopefully we can drive up to be within the totality path.

Holy Cow! I've never experienced anything like that before! Is it always that way during prime times? Yeah, not booking sites during the summer, I guess.

NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 05:51 AM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
No, what you experienced isn't even close to being normal when making reservations. I didn't even try. The only time I can think it even comes close is when a bunch of folks try to get reservations at Bullard's Beach State Park for the Oregon Gathering. And even that has calmed down over the past several years.

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 09:45 AM   #3

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Thanks for that Donna. Least you can drive down to the totality and fight the traffic, I'm sure. In the Oregon State Parks email about it, it didn't mention that you needed to book starting your reservation from the 17th. We read it to mean you could book anywhere between the 17th and 21st, not starting on that date.

I finally figured that out when I got an error message stating the 18th or 19th was too early and it had to start on the 17th. That was at least 20 mins after starting out. Tried the new starting date - nothing at multiple places. Finally got that one spot. Jeez!

Glad to know I won't go through that mess again. Least for normal times. I will try my preferred campground throughout the year, just in case something pops up. Hey, you never know.
Old 11-17-2016, 09:48 AM   #4

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19 - Salish "See"
Yikes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
Okay, was anyone else trying to get a reservation for it? Holy Cow! I could not get a spot for the longest time. A site would pop up saying it was available and then when I'd click on it, it was gone. Drove me nuts. Couldn't get anything within the totality path and finally ended up at a site south of Bend OR at LaPine State Park (I grabbed whatever I could after trying for over 30 mins at other places closer) that's 15-30 miles from the path. Hopefully we can drive up to be within the totality path.

Holy Cow! I've never experienced anything like that before! Is it always that way during prime times? Yeah, not booking sites during the summer, I guess.
Yes, I had the same experience. Couldn't book anything in central OR. Finally settled for a site at Beverly Beach State park on the coast. Hopefully the weather will be clear on 8/21/2017.

We stayed at LaPine in 2014 when we attended the Sister's Outdoor Quilt show. It is a nice park. However on the morning of the eclipse you may want to head north real early in the morning...like 5 or 6. You will have to get through Bend to get to the path of totality and I bet traffic will be pretty heavy. Good luck!
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 09:53 AM   #5
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
When Dave&Kathie and I drove through central and eastern Oregon in September, it seemed like every large flat spot had a billboard touting RV parking for the Eclipse. All the private RV parks were full. I'll probably end up watching it on television.

Something to remember, is man-made light pollution. More and more street lights and park lights are on sensors for lighting dusk to dawn. IF you don't get out and away from THAT the light pollution will really interfere with the total darkness. Plan ahead for where you want to be during the Eclipse
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 10:01 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by arniesea View Post
Yes, I had the same experience. Couldn't book anything in central OR. Finally settled for a site at Beverly Beach State park on the coast. Hopefully the weather will be clear on 8/21/2017.

We stayed at LaPine in 2014 when we attended the Sister's Outdoor Quilt show. It is a nice park. However on the morning of the eclipse you may want to head north real early in the morning...like 5 or 6. You will have to get through Bend to get to the path of totality and I bet traffic will be pretty heavy. Good luck!
I even tried along the coast. Good to know about LaPine. And yeah, we plan to get up really early and head north for a better viewing area. I'm sure we'll end up stuck alongside the road somewhere with everyone else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
When Dave&Kathie and I drove through central and eastern Oregon in September, it seemed like every large flat spot had a billboard touting RV parking for the Eclipse. All the private RV parks were full. I'll probably end up watching it on television.

Something to remember, is man-made light pollution. More and more street lights and park lights are on sensors for lighting dusk to dawn. IF you don't get out and away from THAT the light pollution will really interfere with the total darkness. Plan ahead for where you want to be during the Eclipse
Good point, Donna. Yeah, if I had some flat spots, I'd be renting it out.
Old 11-17-2016, 10:10 AM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
We are in the path and its coming over our house.
Old 11-17-2016, 10:13 AM   #8

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19 - Salish "See"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post

Donna, this is a solar eclipse at about 10:15 in morning. I don't think it will be total darkness because the sun's cornea will still provide some light. I could be wrong about that. Something to research.
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 10:44 AM   #9

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
There is a weekend event in Madras called Solarfest. Maybe they still have space.
Mandomary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 01:43 PM   #10

Trailer: 2016 Classic 21ft
My pretend "travel agent" wife got us a spot at South Bay state park on the beach per campground map. She said it's in the path.