AZ, where to stay in Jan/Feb - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 12-20-2015, 12:16 PM   #11

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingHyena View Post
Anyone crossing over the border into Mexico? Never see much here about that.

Those near the border please comment. I may be wantin' a travel down Baja.

Lots of bad press sometimes but is it real or media hype? After all Los Angeles is not very safe either.

Tom
In a recent issue of Trailer Life there's an article about RVing in Mexico. I can't find my issue, so I can't tell the month, but I'm sure someone else could. Anyway, holy cow, what a royal pain to do in regards to insurance, permits and I forget what else. And have some spare cash on you for paying "fines" to the police when you get pulled over. But the author did enjoy going to Mexico; you just need to get all your I's dotted and T's crossed before you head down there. It was also suggested to go in a caravan with others.

Personally, I've never had any interest in going to Mexico; both before and after this article. Oh, the author did say he thought the hype over problems (drugs, etc) was overblown, but that was his opinion.

Old 12-20-2015, 12:38 PM   #12
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
This thread is a couple of years old, but whenever I think about Michael & Debra and that lovely trailer parked in the Palapa... and I look outside here in PDX at all the gray and rain.... I wanna be in Mexico!

Southernmost Escape

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 12:48 PM   #13

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
I read that Trailer Life article on Mexico and you are right, reports about unexpected and hefty cash-on-the-border entrance charges for trailer/tow "permits" and other paperwork hassles, etc., etc., are a real turn-off. I was going to go this winter but now, not so likely.

Also read that gasoline prices in Mexico are much higher.
Old 12-20-2015, 02:45 PM   #14

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Quote:

Lots of bad press sometimes but is it real or media hype? After all Los Angeles is not very safe either.

Tom
We're heading down to Baja towards the end of Jan. Just ourselves, no caravan. I've done a reasonable amount of research and quite frankly I've traveled in countries with more potential for harm than Baja.

My biggest annoyance would be having to pay a bogus fine but there are ways to deal with that. The Baja Nomad site has a lot of current info. and people who are almost commuting there.

That being said, I've just installed a dash cam that can be swiveled 90* to document any exchanges with police officers. Might be needed in Mexico also.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 04:44 PM   #15

Trailer: 2014 21 2013 Yukon
(CNN)The bodies of two men found in a burned-out van in Mexico's Sinaloa state are exactly who authorities feared they were: Australian surfers Dean Lucas and Adam Coleman.

Authorities have made three arrests but are still seeking two men in connection with the case: Julio Cesar Gonzalez Muniz and Jesus Uriel Camacho Labrada, Higuera said.

The three suspects in custody were low-level drug dealers who had been robbing motorists on a stretch of road leading south through the Sinaloan city of Navolato, Higuera said previously.

Lucas and Coleman were on a surfing trip from Canada to Mexico but failed to arrive as planned in the city of Guadalajara on November 21.

Mexico: no way, Jose. Been there (30 years ago) done that.
Rossue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 04:52 PM   #16

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
(CNN)The bodies of two men found in a burned-out van in Mexico's Sinaloa state are exactly who authorities feared they were: Australian surfers Dean Lucas and Adam Coleman.

Authorities have made three arrests but are still seeking two men in connection with the case: Julio Cesar Gonzalez Muniz and Jesus Uriel Camacho Labrada, Higuera said.

The three suspects in custody were low-level drug dealers who had been robbing motorists on a stretch of road leading south through the Sinaloan city of Navolato, Higuera said previously.

Lucas and Coleman were on a surfing trip from Canada to Mexico but failed to arrive as planned in the city of Guadalajara on November 21.

Mexico: no way, Jose. Been there (30 years ago) done that.
Sure, it's easy to find negative stories about Mexico. On the other hand, they ventured into an area known to be one of the worst areas for gang violence. There's a world of difference between that part of Mexico and Baja.

I know people who have been driving down to Baja and camping every winter for years. We all have our own comfort levels and Baja is within mine.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 06:20 PM   #17

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:

Tom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
We're heading down to Baja towards the end of Jan. Just ourselves, no caravan. I've done a reasonable amount of research and quite frankly I've traveled in countries with more potential for harm than Baja.

My biggest annoyance would be having to pay a bogus fine but there are ways to deal with that. The Baja Nomad site has a lot of current info. and people who are almost commuting there.

That being said, I've just installed a dash cam that can be swiveled 90* to document any exchanges with police officers. Might be needed in Mexico also.

Ron
The Baja is on my list of places to travel to with my trailer. I know people who pull their huge fifth wheel down there every winter for a few months.

Looking forward to hearing about your trip, Ron.

Funny how we hear some of the bad news stories from Mexico, as they make headlines, but hear very little of similar happenings throughout Canada, or the US. Sure, there are areas best to avoid, but I certainly am not going to let the odd rare event ruin my chance at fun. I have visited Mexico about 10 times now, and have always enjoyed myself. Never been to the Baja though.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 06:29 PM   #18

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
I'm sure, Jim, that you heard about the couple whose burned motor home was found in the Alberta bush, but their bodies have never been found.
And, the family murdered at Well's Gray Park.
I don't think you hear more of Mexico murders in Canadian media, but you will hear if a Canadian is killed in Mexico.

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 06:57 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I'm sure, Jim, that you heard about the couple whose burned motor home was found in the Alberta bush, but their bodies have never been found.
And, the family murdered at Well's Gray Park.
I don't think you hear more of Mexico murders in Canadian media, but you will hear if a Canadian is killed in Mexico.
I definetly heard the Alberta story, but not sure about the Wells Gray one. I love Wells Gray Park, especially for backcountry travel, but the trailer camping is nice too.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 12-20-2015, 06:59 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I definetly heard the Alberta story, but not sure about the Wells Gray one. I love Wells Gray Park, especially for backcountry travel, but the trailer camping is nice too.
Just looked it up. I guess it was in 1982.