Baja 2019, maybe - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-20-2019, 11:16 AM   #41

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Good information, thanks.

Is the new road out of Tecate finished? When we were last there it had detours etc., especially Northbound.

What's your destination?

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 02:31 PM   #42

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
We came down Hwy 3 to Ensanada. It is in good condition. We're at San Lucas now. The hwy through Santa Rosalia is still bad from the dump through town. New pavement south of town.
We're going to Mulege tomorrow, either Cocos or Coyote. We'll go to La Ventana and Todos Santos then migrate back north mid to late February.
Brian
Cordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 03:55 PM   #43

Yes, Santa Rosalia isn't our favorite place what with the smoldering dump fires and the town roads in shocking poor condition. Good thing it's only a short stretch. They must have an extremely poor local government.

Thanks for the info and enjoy.

Ron
Old 01-22-2019, 01:57 PM   #44

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 towed by F-150 with 2.7l eb, formerly Escape 17B 2017
Ron, couple more questions.

What's the availability of water and dump stations? Should we especially plan on taking enough drinking water with us to last the entire trip. Of course cold Mexican beer would be plentiful and cheap I suspect.

As to trailer/vehicle registrations, are our ICBC documents good enough or should we take original purchase invoices?

Thanks
Chris & Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 02:41 PM   #45

All beaches in Baja are run on a concession system. The camping fee is collected every few days and was about $5.00 US a day. That gets you your spot, outhouses and garbage disposal.

The blue barrel of water is filtered water and the cost is $5.00 US. A guy comes around, drops off the barrel and fills it. If you want reverse osmosis water I believe it was a bit more. We get the basic water barrel and in Mulege we fill up our drinking water containers at a reverse osmosis water store. It's something like 50 cents a gallon.

Whatever vehicle papers are in your glove box are fine. Nothing special required. Trailer registration is required also.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
P1250036_resize.JPG  
Old 01-22-2019, 02:51 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
All beaches in Baja are run on a concession system. The camping fee is collected every few days and was about $5.00 US a day. That gets you your spot, outhouses and garbage disposal.

The blue barrel of water is filtered water and the cost is $5.00 US. A guy comes around, drops off the barrel and fills it. If you want reverse osmosis water I believe it was a bit more. We get the basic water barrel and in Mulege we fill up our drinking water containers at a reverse osmosis water store. It's something like 50 cents a gallon.

Whatever vehicle papers are in your glove box are fine. Nothing special required. Trailer registration is required also.

Ron
Ron thanks.

No formal dump stations to deal with black/grey water from your black/grey tanks?
Old 01-22-2019, 04:19 PM   #47

To clarify; no dump stations at the beach. Dump stations in RV stops along the way.

Some folks just let the grey water drain into the sand. We let it drain into a bucket and dump it further away from the beach. Most people use the outhouse for serious stuff or drain off the black water tank into the outhouse if they're there long term.

Ron
Old 01-28-2019, 12:09 AM   #48

Hey Jim/Ron, was your plan to leave for the Baja right after the rally on the Sunday or Monday, or is that a matter for discussion in Quartzite. We are readying ourselves to leave North Vancouver at the end of the week.
Old 01-28-2019, 01:15 AM   #49

I'd say, probably, but there's time to discuss it at Q'site and if necessary modify the timing a bit if required.

We're probably heading off on Thur. Did a test pack in the F150 box today. On the Ranger we had a canopy and could pile up stuff higher. Happy to see even with the inflatable kayak and SUP there's a generous amount of room.

I've also done lot's of research on Mexican insurance and have printed it all off and will have that info at Q'site. Doubling the value of our vehicle does make a difference in the premium.

Jim, how's it going?

Ron
Old 01-28-2019, 01:25 AM   #50

Ron thanks for the update.

We are not carrying kayaks or anything like that. We did haul our new 21 up “the cut” with our F-150. Even with “only” the 2.7l eco boost it had zero troubles. In fact, I wanted to open it up more, but was prevented from doing so by the traffic. Anyway so much much space in our much larger trailer!
Old 01-28-2019, 09:26 AM   #51

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
No Kayaks. Wondering what's the water temperature. Will bring my big inner tube, if I can convince Dear One to go down there from the rally. Must admit, a 14 hr drive to Mulege will be a hard sell. Plus, worry about gas stations, terrible road conditions, snakes...
Old 01-28-2019, 09:42 AM   #52

Trailer: 2024 Bigfoot 21 Rear Bed
Just in case you needed to know...San Carlos, Sonora is lots closer than Mulege to Q. Q to Nogales AZ is less than 4 hours, then Nogales, AZ to San Carlos is another 5 hours. There is a Sonora only permit to get at KM 21, but it is much easier than mainland Mex which we get. Mex 15D is concrete of interstate quality, from Nogales to San Carlos. There are loads of private coves in San Carlos, we spent many vacations there. We have tried swimming with mantra rays (they left when we entered the water), snorkeling and diving are good, and English is widely spoken. A trip to San Carlos could even include a circle route from Nogales to San Carlos to Kino Bay and out through Lukeville back to AZ.
Old 01-28-2019, 12:46 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Must admit, a 14 hr drive to Mulege will be a hard sell. Plus, worry about gas stations, terrible road conditions, snakes...
Did you forget folks shining UV lights at night so they could see the scorpions? Oh wait, that's at Q'site.

I look at driving the I-5 segment as an "x" hour slog. I'd never look at the drive from the border to Mulege as an "x" hour drive. It goes from one coast to the other, it goes from coastal areas over the mountains. The scenery is spectacular and ever changing. For a photographer like you, who would want to stop at numerous sites for photos, you'd probably take a lot longer than 14 hours.

Ron
Old 01-28-2019, 01:47 PM   #54

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Did you forget folks shining UV lights at night so they could see the scorpions? Oh wait, that's at Q'site.

I look at driving the I-5 segment as an "x" hour slog. I'd never look at the drive from the border to Mulege as an "x" hour drive. It goes from one coast to the other, it goes from coastal areas over the mountains. The scenery is spectacular and ever changing. For a photographer like you, who would want to stop at numerous sites for photos, you'd probably take a lot longer than 14 hours.

Ron
Are you joking about scorpions ! At Quartzsite ? Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 02:52 PM   #55

I've seen people shining UV lights and heard them say they show up scorpions.

I've never seen one and at night walking little Gertie I'm always shinning a light on her to watch out for hazardous items.

Maybe Greg can give the definitive answer. I did mean it as a joke comment to Myron meaning there's always things to potentially have to deal with in any area you visit.

Ron
Old 01-28-2019, 03:24 PM   #56

Quote:
I've seen people shining UV lights and heard them say they show up scorpions.

I've never seen one and at night walking little Gertie I'm always shinning a light on her to watch out for hazardous items.

Maybe Greg can give the definitive answer. I did mean it as a joke comment to Myron meaning there's always things to potentially have to deal with in any area you visit.

Ron
Ok We have little ones too . I'll check with Greg . Not only Myron , You scared me too. Will make sure we have our flashlights ! Pat
Old 01-28-2019, 04:06 PM   #57

Scorpions or not, using a flashlight when walking around at night is a good idea. The "ground" is mostly uneven and rocky and the sky is very dark. Great for sky gazing.

Ron
Old 01-28-2019, 05:01 PM   #58

Quote:
Scorpions or not, using a flashlight when walking around at night is a good idea. The "ground" is mostly uneven and rocky and the sky is very dark. Great for sky gazing.

Ron
Thanks Ron! We will for sure I can't for myself fall again or that will kind of be it for me , (remember I didn't do surgery). Pat
Old 01-29-2019, 09:42 AM   #59

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone
UV lights

Thanks for reminding me Ron. I set my newer/larger UV flashlight out to take it with us. After 25 years we don't see too many scorpions any more.
Azjack
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 08:54 PM   #60

How advisable is one of these GMRS radios. Could we make the trip without them, or is that asking for trouble?