Baja 2019, maybe - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 01-03-2019, 12:31 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Baja 2019, maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Let's see now.... I am not planning to go to Mexico after Quartzsite but... if I was planning to go, I better have the following documents, etc., am I right?
  1. passports
  2. Mexican vehicle insurance we can buy at the border for $60
  3. Proof of ownership of the trailer (bill of sale).
  4. Proof of rabies vaccination, etc if we bring our dog.
  5. Bathing suits and a big inner tube. Electric assist bicycle with fat tires.
So it looks like at least 3 Escapes will be leaving Q'site and heading for Baja. That would be a welcome situation for Michele because she's sometimes a bit uncomfortable when we're by ourselves in isolated areas especially in the more Northern areas of Baja.

You notice the "maybe" in the title. The road situation is an ongoing issue. We just grit our teeth and do the the 20 unfinished miles of Mex 5 as part of the price for going that route. But having the newer sections of highway South of San Felipe washed out and damaged this Fall was a huge disappointment. So I monitor the comments daily and as long as no further damage happens then it'll be Mex. 5 for us. We don't like Mex. 1, going through Ensenada etc. and it also is subject to damage also. So it's a "maybe" until it's a "go".

Back to Myron's post.

Passports and photocopies, yes. We do that routinely for travel in any foreign country.

Mexican insurance for 60 bucks. I wish. It's required by law to have liability insurance and if you have an accident and no proof of insurance your day is going to get very bad in a hurry. There are many ways to buy Mexican insurance. Basically it all comes down to a couple of major underwriters but different agents offer different packages. We buy ours through Vagabundos and get the same coverage that we have at home.

Insurance can be bought by the day or longer term. By the day is much more expensive and if you're going to be there for over a couple of weeks it's not much more to get a 6 month policy. In our case, in BC, if we buy a months policy then our BC insurance company issues a refund for the month of insurance that we didn't use.

Definitely want to have your vehicle and trailer registration with you and photocopies are always good to have.

Definitely have your dog information and record of shots etc. We've never been asked to show any paperwork.

Electric assist bike with fat tires, well you need that for Q'site anyway.

The 60 buck reference might have been in relation to the FMM, a tourist visa. It's about 500 pesos, half of that. Lot's of hard core Baja folk say they never buy it. Your choice but our choice is to follow the laws of the country that we're in.

A previous poster mentioned an import permit. They referenced crossing at Nogales to mainland Mexico. We've never been asked to put up any kind of bond for the truck or trailer when crossing into Baja. Some of the rules for Baja are less restrictive than for mainland Mexico.

Just got off the phone talking to friends who are heading down next week. They've been going to Baja for over 25 years without incident. 3 years ago they decided to leave their trailer there in storage, covered, locked etc. for $500 a year. Saves dragging the trailer back and forth and allows them to use a smaller vehicle to travel there. Sort of makes me wish I had an old stickie and I'd do the same thing.

Torrential rain here today, wish I was in Baja already.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 01:32 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Great information for us Baja newbies Ron, thanks.

Our two Escapes, along with the four of us and our two dogs are an almost for certain too. It would take some excessively poor conditions for us not to be willing to take the time to venture down there.

You have mentioned heading to El Coyote Beach to camp at. Checked it out and it sure looks like a real nice spot. Have you done much other camping on the Baja? Any recommendations for areas to visit. We would like to explore some, though don't want to waste a heck of a lot of time driving either.

We are planning on a minimum of 2 weeks, and will take it from there, so it could be a heck of a lot longer if we are having great fun.

Is their much for boat rentals, like kayaks to putz around on? I am thinking of bringing my inflatable canoe.

I am sure I will have many more questions, though imagine most of those we can discuss at Quartzsite too.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 02:30 PM   #3

Yes, we've stayed at different places along the way and there's so many possible places to go. Even in the area South of Mulege there's many possible on the beach areas each with a different vibe. We can talk about that at Q'site.

One stop on the way might be Guerrero Negro where the grey whales calf. Should be prime time. You can't use your own watercraft but there are local craft that take you out in the lagoon and there's nothing quite like a huge mamma whale bringing her calf up to the side of the boat and letting you pat it on the head. It's actually a great feeling.

Definitely want to bring your inflatable canoe. With any luck you can glide along beside a whale shark at Coyote Beach. I'm not taking our hard shell kayaks with us this year. Simpler and no water craft inspections. M. bought an inflatable paddle board and I'm going to buy an inflatable kayak. Easier to store and transport.

Ron
Old 01-07-2019, 02:29 PM   #4

Looking forward to chatting about Mexico at Quartzsite along with all the other fun there. We have set no expectations for Mexico (other than having relaxing fun) nor have an idea how long we will stay. Our only set plans on this trip are Yuma and Mexican dental in the week before the rally, and the rally itself.

I did buy a pair of good Motorola GMRS/FRSradios. Given the cost of not enabling more than one cell phone for a month more than pays for them.

I am currently figuring out how/where to carry the canoe, it will either be in the back seat area though Jasper would have to give up space, or in the bed of the truck which has limited space due to the hitch. I have never used an inflatable kayak before, but never a SUP, but they sure do look like a fun way to travel on the water.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 01-07-2019, 05:31 PM   #5

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for more Maiden Voyages ....
Wish I had more detailed info here for you Baja bound travelers. …. Feb/March - 2018, I drove to Baja with an old High School buddy and his girl friend. They were traveling in an Euro Van and myself with my Tacoma and Escape. After that trip, I decided that I would wait until the roads had improved before returning. Just got a cryptic text from my friend who is spending this winter in Baja and he is reporting 'much improved road conditions'. I wish I had better information to pass on but that is all I got. Maybe this will give encouragement to those wanting to Escape winter.

Tom

7F - Juneau
Old 01-07-2019, 05:37 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Given the cost of not enabling more than one cell phone for a month more than pays for them.

but never a SUP, but they sure do look like a fun way to travel on the water.
We sometimes use them at home. Only one of our cell phones has unlimited calling. So sometimes I drop M. off at SuperStore and go over to Rona. When she's finished she just calls and says to stop looking at things I don't need and come pick her up. Couldn't do that with my older radios.

I'm not crazy about SUP's but M. likes them because if she's taking photos of things like whale sharks she finds the more vertical, looking down stance, to be better for photos.

Are you going to the same place for dental work that you went previously? Can you send me a PM with the contact info. We might want to try out Mexican dental work given the recent quotes here.

Ron
Old 01-07-2019, 05:44 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingHyena View Post
Wish I had more detailed info here for you Baja bound travelers. ….

Tom

7F - Juneau
Thanks Tom. I do have accurate day to day info on Baja and we have made two previous trips with the trailer to Baja.

The road situation has to be regarded as a fluid thing. The washing out of several bridges on the newly built section of Mex. 5 was a huge disappointment. Basically it'll be get current conditions on repairs and condition a few days beforehand and make a decision.

Ron
Old 01-07-2019, 06:06 PM   #8

Trailer: 2024 Bigfoot 21 Rear Bed
We subscribe to 2 Facebook groups: RVing in Mexico and Travel Buddies in Mexico. There are others such as Baja Bound but we prefer the Mexican mainland so do not follow the Baja only groups. The road condition reports this year in Baja mention a couple miles of washed out road.
Old 01-07-2019, 06:19 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Are you going to the same place for dental work that you went previously? Can you send me a PM with the contact info. We might want to try out Mexican dental work given the recent quotes here.

Ron
I don't think it is an issue to share it here. I went to Betel Dental Offices and got great treatment from them. Both of us are going to get a bit of work done again this year, probably just before the rally. I have heard of others have great results at other dentists too.

I spent less than 1/3 of what I was quoted here.

Dental Betel
Old 01-07-2019, 06:29 PM   #10

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
I don't think it is an issue to share it here. I went to Betel Dental Offices and got great treatment from them.
I spent less than 1/3 of what I was quoted here.

Keep in mind that you may need follow up care. I've had eight implants over the past 18 months. One of them became infected and had to be removed, cleaned up and reinstalled ( I think that's what was happening while I stared at the ceiling ).
I have an appointment for tomorrow to repair part of the denture ( kinda like a trailer hitch and ball ).
I'd hate to return to a Mexican clinic to have that work done.
Old 01-07-2019, 06:29 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingHyena View Post
Maybe this will give encouragement to those wanting to Escape winter.
You should come and join us, Tom.
Old 01-07-2019, 06:35 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Keep in mind that you may need follow up care. I've had eight implants over the past 18 months. One of them became infected and had to be removed, cleaned up and reinstalled ( I think that's what was happening while I stared at the ceiling ).
I have an appointment for tomorrow to repair part of the denture ( kinda like a trailer hitch and ball ).
I'd hate to return to a Mexican clinic to have that work done.
They do most of the follow up within the week, at least for stuff like caps and bridges. If you get implants for either individual teeth or a full set, you do have to come back in 3 months or so. In most cases, even if you flew down just for that work you would still save a lot of money. What I saved last year more than paid for our entire 6 week vacation. I have set our appointments for the Monday before the rally. Last year I did have to follow up 3-4 weeks later to have stitches removed from a gum graft, but we just swung back nearer the end of our trip.

Thousands upon thousands of Canadians and Americans go to many different Mexican destinations for dental work, and the vast majority are very happy with the service they got.
Old 01-07-2019, 06:48 PM   #13

I hear you can get kitchen renovations done cheap in Mexico too.
Old 01-07-2019, 10:12 PM   #14

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Thanks, Jim. I was going to see how you felt about the dental work now a year later. I’ve got to get some stuff done and most of Phoenix heads down to Algodones to get their major dental. I’ll give these folks a call.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 10:57 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Thanks, Jim. I was going to see how you felt about the dental work now a year later. I’ve got to get some stuff done and most of Phoenix heads down to Algodones to get their major dental. I’ll give these folks a call.
Boy, you just never know where a threads going to go.

Another member PM'd me about the dentist that they've been using for the last 10 years. Some example costs quoted were less than the 30% deductible that I had to pay when I had a dental plan that covered the things that are no longer covered and that I need now.

So, Baja 2019, maybe for the trailer; Baja 2019 for the dentist, for sure. Just have to decide when.

Ron
Old 01-07-2019, 11:20 PM   #16

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Rather than caravan to Baja after Quartzsite, maybe we should all caravan to Algodones. I bet the dental office would give us an even bigger volume discount.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 12:29 AM   #17

I'll mail you my teeth and you can get them serviced for me.
Old 01-08-2019, 12:54 AM   #18

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for more Maiden Voyages ....
Quote:
You should come and join us, Tom.
Hi Jim,
I wish I could come but ….. Anyway best of luck to both you and Lisa! I look forward to travelling with you guys someday. Might see you at the Rally unless I turn completely Neanderthal and make a run from Bellingham to Juneau in March.

Tom
Old 01-09-2019, 11:35 AM   #19

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 towed by F-150 with 2.7l eb, formerly Escape 17B 2017
Fortunately we don't need to worry about Mexican dental work as my previous employers provided a decent post-retirement plan!

However, ee were somewhat interested in considering Baja too. I see that Jim has suggested a two week trip. Is that two weeks including the drive down and back. How many days does it take to drive down to the destination from crossing the border. Do you cross at Algodones or Mexicali?
Chris & Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 12:14 PM   #20

It really depends on what you want to do.

To really generalize, there are two types of Baja goers. Those that go down in the Fall, set up camp at a beach front location and come back at the end of Winter.

For the second type, getting a taste of Baja, it's wide open. Yes, two weeks gives adequate time to sample Baja.

We've crossed at both Tecate and Mexicali. Much prefer Mexicali. We take 3-4 days to drive to Mulege. That can vary if a person wants to stop for a day and watch the grey whales at Guerrero Negro or linger at other sites on the way.

In our case we just pretty much want to get down to Coyote Beach, kayak, swim, watch whale sharks, sample local food and beer and come home after a week or so. We're not ones to laze on a beach long term. But Baja is amazing in terms of history and off the beaten track places. You could spend months there and not see it all. It pretty much has something for everyone.

So, two weeks from the border down to say, Coyote Beach, and back to the border, no problem.

Ron