Baja Bound - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 03-08-2016, 10:20 PM   #61

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Ron, Next Year in the Baja!!
Old 03-09-2016, 08:44 AM   #62

Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
Wagon Train

Ron will have to change change his name to Ward Bond.

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 02:30 PM   #63
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Epic trip Ron. The Sur and the Sea of Cortez are on our list. Mainland Mexico? Not so much.
Old 03-09-2016, 03:32 PM   #64

Trailer: 2012 Escape 15 A
Oh wow ...spectacular ...... oh ...I wish ...
Old 03-11-2016, 09:22 AM   #65

Trailer: looking
if you are the Federales, where are your badges!

no guts no glory. I used to go there a lot while stationed in San Diego. we were always taught the "buddy system" .....but then ,,,we were just drunk sailors. I got my truck stuck on the beach,,,a guy came up with a tow truck and said "$100" and I will pull you out,,,as I was huffing from trying to dig out. I yelled no ____ing way man. his answer......okay,,,,$10....swear to god.
nautracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 06:49 PM   #66

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Yeah, if you're going to drive your vehicle on the beach it's nice if at least one of your buddies carries a shovel, tow strap and knows how to attach it. This guy put a little too much faith in the wide foot print of his dual wheels to keep him out of trouble on the sand.

Hey, if I'd been around I wouldn't have charged you anything. OK, maybe a Pacifico or two and maybe a fish taco...just how deep were you stuck?

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
P2250340_resize.jpg   P2250341_resize.jpg   P2250339_resize.jpg  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 07:35 PM   #67

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna
Great trip... Thanks for the pictures and narrative. Appears you had way more fun than those guys!!
Old 03-12-2016, 07:40 AM   #68

Trailer: looking
let air out of tires on sand and carry lots of extras,,,,team up

mid 80s ,,, pulled over at a gas station, praying the gas truck would come the next day. we made it as far as Mulege. the landscapes I saw down there are seared in my mind, like going back in time . Jurasac Park stuff. expecting a Teradactal flying. 20 foot tall cactus. my old pic won't upload. but anyway, I was buried pretty good. lots of fun! fish tacos and Corona for about $4 a case.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 20130123062019590.pdf (111.8 KB, 65 views)
nautracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 07:04 PM   #69

Trailer: 2016 19 / Toyota 4Runner 2019
looks like fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by nautracer View Post
mid 80s ,,, pulled over at a gas station, praying the gas truck would come the next day. we made it as far as Mulege. the landscapes I saw down there are seared in my mind, like going back in time . Jurasac Park stuff. expecting a Teradactal flying. 20 foot tall cactus. my old pic won't upload. but anyway, I was buried pretty good. lots of fun! fish tacos and Corona for about $4 a case.
I agree if going on the sand you need to let your tires down to 15psi. 10psi if you are brave but makes it easy to pop the tire off the rim. I don't care how many or what kind of tires on the vehicle, you will be dug in otherwise.
Old 03-12-2016, 07:42 PM   #70

Out on old Cape Cod they let you drive on the sands, all the way to Race Point, but not before they make you reduce the air in all 4 tires, to I forget what, and, if you don't bring along a shovel and a tow rope you don't get permission until you got them. It is a fun drive for a 4WD, a big mistake for anything else.

Left the Burro at the campground. Great fun grinding to Race Point with my old '92 Explorer. A couple-three months later my transmission died. R.I.P.
Old 03-13-2016, 05:48 AM   #71

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Out on old Cape Cod they let you drive on the sands, all the way to Race Point, but not before they make you reduce the air in all 4 tires, to I forget what, and, if you don't bring along a shovel and a tow rope you don't get permission until you got them. It is a fun drive for a 4WD, a big mistake for anything else.

Left the Burro at the campground. Great fun grinding to Race Point with my old '92 Explorer. A couple-three months later my transmission died. R.I.P.
Now it sets you back $150 for the pass.
Old 03-13-2016, 11:55 AM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by nautracer View Post
. we made it as far as Mulege. the landscapes I saw down there are seared in my mind, like going back in time . Jurasac Park stuff. expecting a Teradactal flying. 20 foot tall cactus.
Getting to Mulege is the price of admission to the really good stuff. From there South is the really fantastic area, loaded with bays and beaches perfect for setting up an RV and lingering.

Yup, the interior is a stark and varied landscape. Don't know about the 20' cactus, I suspect this one was a bit taller. Never seen any that tall before.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
P2160082_resize.jpg   P2160075_resize.jpg  
Old 03-13-2016, 12:04 PM   #73

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
The cactus is a Saguaro, only can be seen in Mexico and Arizona. It takes 70 years to get their first arm and they can be 2-300+ years old. The oldest one known is not far from our house and we live in the middle of quite a few of these beauties.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 12:59 PM   #74
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Don't know about the 20' cactus, I suspect this one was a bit taller. Never seen any that tall before.
That is one tall Saguaro Ron. For those of you who've never had the jam made from the Saguaro fruit, it's wonderful.
Old 03-13-2016, 02:33 PM   #75

Was looking at the map and see Mulege is 630 miles from San Diego going down the Pacific coast on Rt. 1 to Guerrero Negro then across to the gulf. Wow, that's 12 hours of serious driving.
Here I was thinking if I were to do this it would be no farther than Ensenada and be sure to keep close to the ocean at all times. Would I be right to think going inland to the Gulf of California means finding a less commercially distorted/exploited, i.e. more enjoyable, Mexico?
Old 03-13-2016, 03:51 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Was looking at the map and see Mulege is 630 miles from San Diego going down the Pacific coast on Rt. 1 to Guerrero Negro then across to the gulf. Wow, that's 12 hours of serious driving.
Here I was thinking if I were to do this it would be no farther than Ensenada and be sure to keep close to the ocean at all times. Would I be right to think going inland to the Gulf of California means finding a less commercially distorted/exploited, i.e. more enjoyable, Mexico?
We took 3 days to drive to Mulege. There's interesting things to see and decent places to stay along the way so it doesn't have to be a marathon drive.

Our only goal was to get past Ensenada as quickly as possible.

"less commercially distorted/ exploited Mexico" Couldn't have said it better myself. Towns like Mulege are the "real" Mexico. Wander the streets, no big stores selling tourist crap, just Mexicans living their lives. Pretty much the same in Loreto. Places like Cabo San Lucas are tourist traps for sure but the other areas are pretty unaffected by tourism.

At any rate, coming from your area it's likely that you could avoid 3/4 of the road from the border to Guerrero Negro because there's only 22 km. left to pave on Hwy. 5. It runs from El Centro most of the way to G.N. We considered taking it home and talked to folks who had recently driven it. They said, vehicle OK, but maybe too much washboard for a trailer. So we're hoping paving will be completed by the time we're going back.

Ron
Old 03-13-2016, 09:26 PM   #77

Trailer: 2007 17 ft plan b
Thanks for your post and pics, Ron. Next year for me. I would love to kayak off the beach right in front of your campsite like your pics of coyote beach. Did you do any kayak fishing?
T2
Tsquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 12:54 PM   #78

Yah, nothing like being able to step out of the trailer, push the kayak into the water in seconds. I've always wanted places like that but they're rare.

I'm not a fisherman but others were fishing from an assortment of small craft.

I'd rather spend my time kayak sailing. In one photo the sail's reefed because of that dark patch of water offshore. The wind usually filled in during the day, made for exciting sailing in the late afternoon sometimes.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
P2230277_resize.jpg   P2230285_resize.jpg  
Old 03-14-2016, 01:28 PM   #79

Trailer: 2007 17 ft plan b
I'm a fisherman which got me into kayaking and sailing my adventure island and hobie revolution.

I'm curious-- did you have a 4 by 4 vehicle to be able to park out on the beach like that? I'm debating whether to get one for a Baja trip next year.
T2
Tsquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 04:44 PM   #80

There was someone at Coyote Beach with the Hobie rig. Never managed to get out on the water at the same time. Too bad, not that I'd want to race him.

Is a 4 x 4 really required for Baja? Oh boy, that would really open up a debate. Short answer is no. Most of the beach areas have a road of some sorts in to them. Only a couple we checked out had ones that I wouldn't do without a 4 x 4. But this raises another issue, just because a 4 x 4 can get over some minefield of rocks and steep grades, do you want to drag a trailer over them?

So most beaches have a solid road in to them and firm areas for the RV. Some judgement is required how close to the water you can safely park. In my case in the photo I was fine but another few feet closer to the water would have been dicey.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
P2240325_resize.jpg