Baja Bound - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 02-12-2016, 12:50 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Baja Bound

We'll be leaving Quartzsite on Sunday heading for Baja. Just purchased our Mexican insurance so we're all set.

Before anyone chimes in and starts relating horror stories that they've read on the net let me say we have done our homework and are comfortable with the decision to go to Baja. The funny thing is that we made the decision without ever having talked directly to anyone who had actually taken their trailer to Baja. Then a couple of weeks ago a friend mentioned that someone she worked with was leaving for Baja in a couple of days and that they take their trailer there every year. So, despite their trailer being a stickie, I invited them over to dinner. Lot's of good info. Many years of going there. Total police stops, 0, total problems, 0. So it was nice to have that direct info.

On the way down we met a couple with a 19 headed to Baja. First time taking the trailer but have been driving down every year for years without incident.

I started the thread while I have good wi-fi, not sure what access I'll have in Mexico but I'll update as I go if possible.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 01:04 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
We'll be leaving Quartzsite on Sunday heading for Baja. Just purchased our Mexican insurance so we're all set.

Before anyone chimes in and starts relating horror stories that they've read on the net let me say we have done our homework and are comfortable with the decision to go to Baja. The funny thing is that we made the decision without ever having talked directly to anyone who had actually taken their trailer to Baja. Then a couple of weeks ago a friend mentioned that someone she worked with was leaving for Baja in a couple of days and that they take their trailer there every year. So, despite their trailer being a stickie, I invited them over to dinner. Lot's of good info. Many years of going there. Total police stops, 0, total problems, 0. So it was nice to have that direct info.

On the way down we met a couple with a 19 headed to Baja. First time taking the trailer but have been driving down every year for years without incident.

I started the thread while I have good wi-fi, not sure what access I'll have in Mexico but I'll update as I go if possible.

Ron
Ron, this is one thread that I will keep a close eye on, this is one of the trips on my bucket list. Have a great time. Scott

Scott, Lori and Fritz the Schnauzer
Fat bikes and Baja, good combo.
AK snowbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 01:04 PM   #3

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Baja Bound

Hi Ron

I couldn't agree with you more. We have been to Mexico and taken taxis to smaller towns and have never felt threatened. I think there was more crime when we lived in Cloverdale, BC.
We have also talked about going there one of these winters. Hopefully sooner then later. Please post any campsite info etc. when your able.

Cheers (a jealous) Doug
Old 02-12-2016, 01:34 PM   #4

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
No horror stories here - I'll just note that Mexico is whole country, of significant size, with many differences between regions... just like other countries. Information about one region may not be applicable at all in other regions.

Enjoy Baja, Ron!
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 01:41 PM   #5

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
Baja could be on my list for next year. I am sure you will get lot of interest in this thread. Thanks, in advance, for posting 'the good, the bad, and the ugly'!
MacMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 01:51 PM   #6

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
Everything I have heard or read on Baja as of late seems to be quite positive. Have a good trip and keep the forum posted. I guess I should say try, as internet access down there might be a little scarce. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 04:15 PM   #7

Trailer: 2014 17B;2012 Nissan Frontier SV 4
All the very best and have a great trip.

Please keep us updated along the way. And I'm sure many of us will want as much indepth info you are able to share when you get home.

Larry
LarryandLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 04:19 PM   #8

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Maybe there should be a Baja Rally next winter. [emoji6]

Cheers
Doug
Old 02-12-2016, 05:39 PM   #9

Trailer: 21, June 8, 2016, "The Final Frontier"
Smile Reply to Baja Bound

Judging from the numbers of trailers, RV's etc. that we saw on the beach when we were sailing on the west side of the Sea of Cortez, there's plenty to feel just like you do. We never heard a discouraging word from the campers we visited. Common sense applies, as it does anywhere. Keep us posted, next winter we plan to do the Baja tour there ourselves in "Dog House".
Mary Strasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 05:42 PM   #10

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
I too am eager to hear about the Baja adventure. I'd really like to go somewhere where the snorkeling is great without having to fly.
Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 09:51 PM   #11

Trailer: Escape 21 'Toto'
Count us in as highly interested in your trip! I find the idea of an Escape (or fiberglass) caravan to Baja really appealing.
Old 02-12-2016, 11:04 PM   #12

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Count us too among the highly interested! Wishing you safe and smooth travels we look forward to hearing your stories!
Jill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 12:35 PM   #13

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21 2002 Tundra 4x4 V-8 tow package.
No horror stories here

My first trip to Baja was 1975 my last was 2014 and there has been many in-between. I've camped in remote and populated areas, rented beach houses, stayed in hotels large and small. Ive never towed a travel trailer ,but have a fishing boat into Baja.

There was a company called "Caravans to Baja" that would lead groups of travel trailer to Bahia de Los angeles on the Sea of Cortez. They took over our best camp site. This is one of my favorite places to camp, fish, and a return is on the Bucket list.

All my experience's with the people of Baja have been great, The highway is the biggest danger in my opinion.
craiginpetaluma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 03:36 PM   #14

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I too am looking forward to your trip to The Baja, Ron. This is one trip we plan on too.

As well, maybe a separate trip, I hope head all the way down the west side of Mexico, and maybe beyond.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 01:57 AM   #15

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
Very interested!
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 01:30 PM   #16

Getting our visa's today and crossing with the trailer tomorrow.

John and Sherri, Escape 21, Colorado, pulled into Quartzsite a couple of days ago. 6 windsurfers on the roof and just returning from 3 months of windsurfing in Baja. They've been going there every year. Great info, always better to get it from someone who's been there, done that.

Escape Rally, Baja maybe a Caravan. Great idea.

Ron
Old 02-14-2016, 03:47 PM   #17

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
They were lucky ones to get a 21' that Escape put up. They actually stay in a rented place in Baja, not in their trailer because they are there so long. They didn't have the trailer on prior trips, so probably already had used such places.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 09:28 PM   #18

Edit, that was Rick and Sherry, my bad for doing a rushed update at McDonalds. They did stay in the 21 this year.

Quite a day. We had 3 goals; get across the border, get through Tecate without a traffic ticket and get through Ensenda.

The border took about 3 minutes because we already had our 180 day visas, Tecate stop signs we'd scoped out yesterday so no problem there except for highway construction and a lack of flag people but we made it and Ensenada was much easier than most large city rush hours.

Roads are narrow, varied condition but OK. Crazy drivers though, don't know why they waste money on yellow paint to put solid double yellow lines down. No one but me seems to obey that rule.

Gas price is about the same as at home.

Longish day but we're now south of San Quinten in a place called Los Olivos. It's an olive grove that has facilites for a few RV's by the olive grove. Full facilities for 250 pesos or $20 US. Very nice.

We've had two longish days so tomorrow we'll make an easier day and hopefully get to Guerrero Negro the next day and Michele will be able to get up close and personal with the whales.

Already regret not taking a few Spanish classes. We'll get by, we always do but I can see it'd make the trip much easier.

Ron
Old 02-16-2016, 10:19 AM   #19

Best showers ever This place is one of a kind, sort of like staying on a private estate. No water in the pool yet.

Only thing that really takes getting used to is the abrupt transition for road to shoulder. Even a modern store doesn't usually have a paved area so care pulling off the road is required. Not a biggie but a bit of a surprise.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
20160216_075809.jpg  
Old 02-16-2016, 11:15 AM   #20

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Thanks for the update Ron. For the spanish lessons, if you have wifi access give Duolingo a try. It's a great website/app for learning many languages. It's fun too. My husband and are both using it and I have to say I'm making much better progress since he joined and now it's a competition too!
Jill is offline   Reply With Quote