Bakersfield - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 02-23-2018, 07:32 PM   #1

Trailer: 5.0TA 2016 Spirit Bear
Bakersfield

We are spending two nights in Bakersfield to rest up before our next segment which is driving to Sedona for 8 hours. Being the curious person I am I looked up info on this town. It was shocking. Feel so fortunate to live where we do!

The following is an opinion/review from “Sperlings Best Places”.

I CAN'T BELIEVE THE REVIEWS ABOUT BAKERSFIELD!
There are people who actually think this is a GOOD place to live!

Air Quaility: Worse than L.A.
Crime: Worse that L.A.
Grafitti: EVERYWHERE! (Again, worse than L.A.)

The sky is yellowish brown here. Someone wrote than you can see snow capped mountains in the winters here. No you can't. The smog won't let you see more than 2 miles 95% of the time. For a couple days a year, the wind blows it out and suddenly you can see the mountains that are pretty close but that you couldn't see before.

The people ARE NOT FRIENDLY! They're rude as can be. Service from businesses around here is POOR! Everyone tries to RIP YOU OFF around here. From car dealers to realtors to rental managers to the cable company, you can bet that doing business will be a complete nightmare. The first house I rented here was in foreclosure when I signed the lease, unknown to me, and the asshole was trying to collect rent from me AFTER it went to auction.

Employers here aren't as bad as L.A. in the engineering profession, but I don't know how they are in other professions. ................. So they drive around in huge Ford f-350 4x4 crew cab trucks with monster tires as their main commute and blaim Los Angeles and San Francisco for their poor air quality (even though Bakersfield is separated from those cities by mountains with elevations over 4000 ft).

The cows, oh yes, the cows. Where I live, I'm 25 miles from any cattle operations. Yet, the stench from cow crap is overwhelming at times (about 50% of the time). It makes my eyes water and makes me choke when I inhale the air it's so strong. When you drive to the source of the smell, there are a thousand cows crammed into steel carport looking shelters, living in super-poor conditions. They're trapped in cages about 4'x5' and have to put their heads through the cages to eat. And to top it off, they're standing in their own crap ALL THEIR LIVES! Once you see it, you pretty much lose your appetite for beef. But remember, happy cows come from California!

Did I mention gangs? They're everywhere around here. There's drive-by shootings, robberies, etc. There's nothing to do here except eat, which is 90% of the people who live here are overweight (including myself). You can't jog outside or it will scar your lungs. If you get a gym membership here, the only good gym is In-Shape City.

In the summer, which lasts from May to September, it stays over 110 degrees most of the time. At night, it'll drop to 95 degrees.

Overall, this place is the hell people say it is. There a few "special" people who like it here. But remember, the band "Korn" is from this place, and you can hear the inspiration they recieved from living here.
Old 02-23-2018, 08:07 PM   #2

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
As mentioned in Wikipedia: "Bakersfield is one of the fastest growing larger cities in the United States. Bakersfield has a population of approximately 323,000 and a metropolitan area of approximately a half million. Bakersfield is famous for being the home of country music singers Buck Owens and Merle Haggard, and has the nickname "the country music capital of the West Coast." Bakersfield has also produced its share of American football players such as Joey Porter, Frank Gifford, and David Carr.

Granted, Bakersfield doesn't have pristine mountains (like British Columbia) nor does it have lovely waterways (like British Columbia), but I've encountered some wonderful people whenever we've been there. I would suggest that you might be happier with an alternate route when going home -- to beautiful British Columbia.

Also, I'm curious as to why you had to look up the statistics on Bakersfield since you say you lived there ... ?

Jan

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
Old 02-23-2018, 08:14 PM   #3

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
After the first paragraph it's an unattributed quote.
Old 02-23-2018, 08:16 PM   #4

Hi CADreamin
I pasted this off the internet beginning from the words “I CAN’T BELIEVE”. We live in Victoria BC.
Do you have any suggestions as an alternate route coming home from Joshua Tree?
Thanks
Old 02-23-2018, 08:16 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
We have relatives there and while we don't love the place, there are much worse places IMO. Also, sounds more than a little political here.
Old 02-23-2018, 08:18 PM   #6

I would head up to Lone Pine and the Alabama Hills. Give us a review!
Old 02-23-2018, 08:20 PM   #7
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I read it and laughed out loud! It's impossible to read "sarcasm" in text. I live in one of the most beautiful states in the USA, but I can find posts and quotes that are very similar to the ones posted about Bakersfield and they're about Or-E-Gone.
Old 02-23-2018, 08:24 PM   #8

Phew!! I was beginning to wonder ....

Heading out from Sedona (great place and don't forget to do a Vortex Tour), you could go up through the Canyonlands (Utah) and then into Idaho. Otherwise, if you want to go back through California, why not try the coastal route? You'd have to back on 40 (yes, and go through Bakersfield) but then hit San Luis Obispo and go up Hwy 101. Most people travel up on I5 (boring) but 101 will take you through some nice scenery AND good wine regions.

Jan

- Cesare Pavese
Old 02-23-2018, 08:34 PM   #9

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I certainly have no desire to meet the person who wrote that review, nor do I for a minute believe most of what they wrote. It reeks of the notes of a bitter person.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 02-23-2018, 08:37 PM   #10

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Pretty cool up here in Sedona right now. A few flurries this week, low down to 16 a couple nights. First time I've had to disconnect the water lines every night.

Bring your long johns.
Old 02-23-2018, 08:49 PM   #11

Even homogenized milk is political, if you choose to look at it that way.
Old 02-23-2018, 08:54 PM   #12

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Pretty cool up here in Sedona right now. A few flurries this week, low down to 16 a couple nights. First time I've had to disconnect the water lines every night.

Bring your long johns.
When we left Wednesday morning I had to run water over my grey water valve for a while to thaw it enough to open a wee bit. While never real warm there, it certainly did cool down a fair bit over the week we were there.

It was great meeting you and Deb there.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 02-23-2018, 09:02 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn L View Post
We are spending two nights in Bakersfield .....

..................... So they drive around in huge Ford f-350 4x4 crew cab trucks with monster tires...

Overall, this place is the hell people say it is. There a few "special" people who like it here.
What am I missing here?
Old 02-23-2018, 09:25 PM   #14

Well, this thread (that I started) has been entertaining for sure!
Thanks to those who took the time to respond, all great food for thought!
Old 02-23-2018, 09:39 PM   #15

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for more Maiden Voyages ....
Hi Ross,
To each their own so to speak ... I guess but I will admit that I found Lynn L's post quite offensive. A week ago I blew through Bakersfield and thought too it 'needed some help' but I was soooo greatful for a tank of gas and a few groceries .... I really needed both. I continued on to a sliver of Joshua Tree and especially memorable Anaza Borrego Desert State Park .... Wow! Waite till you get there!

Lynn L .... please can we have a little more positive comments. I just got back from Tijuana and Mexicalli .... those border towns will change your mind.

Life is good .... very good actually if you will only let it,

Tom

What most Americans find so offensive south of the border isn't criminal activity .... its extreme poverty!
Old 02-23-2018, 09:42 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingHyena View Post
Lynn L .... please can we have a little more positive comments.

Tom
Those were not Lynn's comments. She was quoting a site. And, that's why quote marks need to be used and attribution given, so that there is no confusion.
Old 02-23-2018, 09:54 PM   #17

Hi Tom - I am guilty of taking offense (at first) as well. Not to worry ... it was all in fun. However, gbaglo is correct ... punctuation makes the sentence.
Attached Thumbnails
Grandma.jpg  

Jan

- Cesare Pavese
Old 02-23-2018, 10:00 PM   #18

Curious - where did you camp at Anaza Borrego? Looks like there are a number of places (https://www.hikespeak.com/campground...-park-camping/).

Jan

- Cesare Pavese
Old 02-23-2018, 10:03 PM   #19

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
I have to say that Bakersfield has never struck me as a place that I wanted to linger but places like East LA grab me the same way. If we're on 40 heading heading for I-5 we do drive through without stopping. Usually up to the Wasco Walmart, one of the best Walmarts for overnighting. Freestanding, out in the countryside and quiet.

Ron
Old 02-23-2018, 10:06 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreamin View Post
Hi Tom - I am guilty of taking offense (at first) as well. Not to worry ... it was all in fun. However, gbaglo is correct ... punctuation makes the sentence.
Not buying that line, otherwise anyone could post quoted hate filled diatribe.
Closed Thread