Banff & Jasper - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 06-16-2014, 03:18 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape 21
Banff & Jasper

I've read over the pertinent posts on the forum regarding Banff and Jasper, but I have a question that I want to throw out for feedback now. We have made our plans for travel to Chilliwack and had originally planned to stay in Banff for three nights and Jasper for two nights. But we have made some adjustments due to travel times and distances so that we can get to Chilliwack earlier the day before our orientation and pick up (rather than traveling all the way to from Jasper to Chilliwack the day before pick up). So do we change our plans to stay in Banff for three nights and Jasper one night or Banff for two nights and Jasper for two nights? I would appreciate hearing thoughts from folks who have been in the area and have a recommendation for us. I know we cannot go wrong when in the midst of the Canadian Rockies, but any helpful advice would be most appreciated! Thanks all!

tash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 03:28 PM   #2

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19 & 15B
Sounds from your post (but is not clear) that you are planning on seeing Banff/Jasper before picking up your trailer, is that correct? Could you clarify this, as it makes a huge difference whether you want to camp in tents, stay in hotels, or stay in your new Escape trailer.

Although Banff is a beautiful place to see, I am personally not a big fan of the bigger crowds in Banff as compared to Jasper. If it was me (and I was staying in my new Escape), I would stay only 1 night in Banff, spend a second night near Lake Louise, spend a third night on the Columbia Icefield Parkway, and then spend a fourth and fifth night in Jasper. If I were tenting, I would do the same itinerary.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 03:35 PM   #3

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Banff and Jasper are part of Canada's National Parks and as such have extra fees.

Parks Canada - Parks Canada - List of Fees
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 03:37 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape 21
Dave, thanks for your reply. We are stopping in Banff and Jasper on our way to Chilliwack, so will be without the trailer. So we will be in pet friendly hotels--thought about tenting but decided that would be too much work on this trip if we wanted to get there sooner than later! And then we will head home via the northern US.

Ideally, we would have more time to explore that area, so I very much appreciate your insights!
tash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 03:43 PM   #5

Trailer: 2006 Escape 17B
I would lean to the Lake Louise and Jasper areas as they are less commercial. 5 days is not enough but it will be a good start. A yearly National Parks pass is about the same cost as 7 nights so if you may want that as it is good in all Canadian National Parks

The Banff Jasper Parkway is awesome but has a few hills
alan in alberta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 04:51 PM   #6

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
We just drove the Columbia Ice Fields Parkway from Lake Louise to Jasper and the road is terrible. Lots of frost heaves and cracks. Extremely bumpy. We lost the glass turntable for the microwave and a casserole from one of the shelves. We were only driving at 80kph. Many of the facilities are not yet open. Very disappointing.
Old 06-16-2014, 04:52 PM   #7

Since you asked, I would choose to split that 400+ mile drive from Jasper to Chilliwack into 2 days -- giving option to at least travel the #1 TCH part of the way. I believe most would say that the TCH is a far more interesting route than the Coq, albeit more time.

If you feel adventurous, the BC Highway 24 route connector looks interesting, to say the least.

YMMV.
justmeinbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 05:10 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmeinbc View Post
Since you asked, I would choose to split that 400+ mile drive from Jasper to Chilliwack into 2 days -- giving option to at least travel the #1 TCH part of the way. I believe most would say that the TCH is a far more interesting route than the Coq, albeit more time.

If you feel adventurous, the BC Highway 24 route connector looks interesting, to say the least.
YMMV.
Good point about the rough road. If you are looking for a super-highway where you can cruise rock stable at high speeds, it is best not to attempt the Columbia Icefields Parkway. On the other hand, if you are looking for magnificent high alpine and glacier views unparallelled anywhere else in the world (do I sound like an advertisement), then by all means slow down and enjoy the drive!

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Old 06-16-2014, 06:25 PM   #9

Trailer: 21 ft November 17th
" the Columbia Icefields highway has a few hills" thats funny stuff
dave macrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 08:18 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuthatchBC View Post
We just drove the Columbia Ice Fields Parkway from Lake Louise to Jasper and the road is terrible. Lots of frost heaves and cracks. Extremely bumpy. We lost the glass turntable for the microwave and a casserole from one of the shelves. We were only driving at 80kph. Many of the facilities are not yet open. Very disappointing.
Oops, my above post was supposed to be in response to this post, not that of justmeinbc.