Banff & Jasper - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 06-16-2014, 02:18 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape 21
Banff & Jasper

I've read over the pertinent posts on the forum regarding Banff and Jasper, but I have a question that I want to throw out for feedback now. We have made our plans for travel to Chilliwack and had originally planned to stay in Banff for three nights and Jasper for two nights. But we have made some adjustments due to travel times and distances so that we can get to Chilliwack earlier the day before our orientation and pick up (rather than traveling all the way to from Jasper to Chilliwack the day before pick up). So do we change our plans to stay in Banff for three nights and Jasper one night or Banff for two nights and Jasper for two nights? I would appreciate hearing thoughts from folks who have been in the area and have a recommendation for us. I know we cannot go wrong when in the midst of the Canadian Rockies, but any helpful advice would be most appreciated! Thanks all!
tash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 02:28 PM   #2

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Sounds from your post (but is not clear) that you are planning on seeing Banff/Jasper before picking up your trailer, is that correct? Could you clarify this, as it makes a huge difference whether you want to camp in tents, stay in hotels, or stay in your new Escape trailer.

Although Banff is a beautiful place to see, I am personally not a big fan of the bigger crowds in Banff as compared to Jasper. If it was me (and I was staying in my new Escape), I would stay only 1 night in Banff, spend a second night near Lake Louise, spend a third night on the Columbia Icefield Parkway, and then spend a fourth and fifth night in Jasper. If I were tenting, I would do the same itinerary.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 02:35 PM   #3

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Banff and Jasper are part of Canada's National Parks and as such have extra fees.

Parks Canada - Parks Canada - List of Fees
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 02:37 PM   #4

Dave, thanks for your reply. We are stopping in Banff and Jasper on our way to Chilliwack, so will be without the trailer. So we will be in pet friendly hotels--thought about tenting but decided that would be too much work on this trip if we wanted to get there sooner than later! And then we will head home via the northern US.

Ideally, we would have more time to explore that area, so I very much appreciate your insights!
Old 06-16-2014, 02:43 PM   #5

Trailer: 2006 Escape 17B
I would lean to the Lake Louise and Jasper areas as they are less commercial. 5 days is not enough but it will be a good start. A yearly National Parks pass is about the same cost as 7 nights so if you may want that as it is good in all Canadian National Parks

The Banff Jasper Parkway is awesome but has a few hills
alan in alberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 03:51 PM   #6

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
We just drove the Columbia Ice Fields Parkway from Lake Louise to Jasper and the road is terrible. Lots of frost heaves and cracks. Extremely bumpy. We lost the glass turntable for the microwave and a casserole from one of the shelves. We were only driving at 80kph. Many of the facilities are not yet open. Very disappointing.
NuthatchBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 03:52 PM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Since you asked, I would choose to split that 400+ mile drive from Jasper to Chilliwack into 2 days -- giving option to at least travel the #1 TCH part of the way. I believe most would say that the TCH is a far more interesting route than the Coq, albeit more time.

If you feel adventurous, the BC Highway 24 route connector looks interesting, to say the least.

YMMV.
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 04:10 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmeinbc View Post
Since you asked, I would choose to split that 400+ mile drive from Jasper to Chilliwack into 2 days -- giving option to at least travel the #1 TCH part of the way. I believe most would say that the TCH is a far more interesting route than the Coq, albeit more time.

If you feel adventurous, the BC Highway 24 route connector looks interesting, to say the least.
YMMV.
Good point about the rough road. If you are looking for a super-highway where you can cruise rock stable at high speeds, it is best not to attempt the Columbia Icefields Parkway. On the other hand, if you are looking for magnificent high alpine and glacier views unparallelled anywhere else in the world (do I sound like an advertisement), then by all means slow down and enjoy the drive!

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Old 06-16-2014, 05:25 PM   #9

Trailer: 21 ft November 17th
" the Columbia Icefields highway has a few hills" thats funny stuff
dave macrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 07:18 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuthatchBC View Post
We just drove the Columbia Ice Fields Parkway from Lake Louise to Jasper and the road is terrible. Lots of frost heaves and cracks. Extremely bumpy. We lost the glass turntable for the microwave and a casserole from one of the shelves. We were only driving at 80kph. Many of the facilities are not yet open. Very disappointing.
Oops, my above post was supposed to be in response to this post, not that of justmeinbc.

Old 06-16-2014, 07:59 PM   #11

Trailer: 2024 Bigfoot 21RB
I would go to Lake Louise stay 1 night then head up the Icefields Parkway towards Jasper early in the morning. On the way to Jasper consider a 2-3 hr hike up Parker Ridge just south of the Icefields, visit the Icefields Parkway centre to purchase a Skywalk ticket, while waiting for the ride out to the Skywalk, drive across the road to the Athabaska glacier parking lot and walk the short loop. When not camping we like to stay at Becker's Chalets just south of Jasper - quiet and clean. I would then stay 2-3 nights and consider visit places like Mt Edith Cavell and Maligne Lake. You could head back a little quicker via Valemont to Kamloops then over the Coqihalla to Chilliwack - about 8 hrs driving in total. Suggest stop at Mt Robson on your way to Kamloops.
gharper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 08:23 PM   #12

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
GHarper and I must have been on the same tour bus. The recommended itinerary of Lake Louise, the Icefields, Parker Ridge, Maligne Lake, Mt Edith Cavell and even Becker's Cabins is identical to a trip we took last fall without the Escape. Check out the Wilcox Pass hike, most hikes are well described on line.

I thought the Icefields Parkway was beautiful, I thought the Icefields Visitors Center was a bust and would not recommend the stop. As the two of you are familiar with US National Parks, this facility is not anything like you are used to. There is a movie that you pay for, eating establishments that cater to bus loads and a ticket booth to book a ride over the glacier in a balloon tire bus. There is no orientation program, help desk, brochures, exhibits or warm friendly facility. I would compare this place to a bus terminal. But the area around the facility is superb, just skip the bus station.

I would say again the best areas are Lake Louise and Jasper. If time is an issue, skip Banff. Also be prepared for tourist prices, everything is expensive.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 10:02 PM   #13

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Though Banff is closer for me, I do prefer the Jasper area. Could be because I head out to Banff area lots every year, mountain biking, skiing, visiting, or just driving through. I do try to avoid the townsite if possible.

The Icefields Parkway has to be one of the most beautiful drives I have done, and even after around 100 trips on it, I still enjoy the beauty
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 12:07 AM   #14

Trailer: 2014 5.0 TA
Hi Tash,

I'm going to suggest something quite different... as a third generation Albertan.

Banff, Lake Louise & Jasper are certainly beautiful. However, I've had the good fortune to travel a fair bit of the US. All mountain scenery is beautiful, but all said, quite similar. On the other hand, seeing things unique is something again... eg. Mt. Rushmore... Stone Mountain in Atlanta... Lewis & Clark Caverns in Montana... Old Faithful at Yellowstone... need I go on.

Therefore when out here, consider the following:

Turrell Museum in Drumheller, AB... Dinosaur Provincial Park... Head Smashed in Buffalo Jump... Frank Slide...

All of these have world class interpretive centres and can only be found here. Like the Great Wall of China, that I visited on a number of occasions.

One can Google these for more direction & info. If you go... I'll bet a lunch that they will blow the hell out of Banff, Jasper, etc... LOL

Okay you fellow Albertans... let me have it!!!

Travel Safe,

Larry
Stargeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 02:54 AM   #15

Trailer: 2012 15A
For me the big problem with these places is that they are all really interesting and that I want to see it all. On a short trip like the one tash has planned it is not possible to see it all. No matter which route you chose you can be assured that it will be a great experience.

I have lived in both northern and southern BC for over 60 years now and traveled extensively in both BC and a fair bit in Alberta. I am always amazed that there is still more to do and see out there. I guess that is what keeps us all out in our Escape trailers enjoying both new experiences and repeating old ones that we love.
Sometimes the more advice you get the more difficult it is to chose what you can fit in. There are no wrong choices so just enjoy the ride.

We are headed to Japser this week and ending up in northern BC for a family wedding. Done that trip many times but still looking forward to it again.

I do vote for Jasper over Banff. But I do have more experience staying in the Jasper area than Banff. I guess part of the decision is what you like to do when you are visiting these new places. Ride bikes, motorcycles, hike, fish, eat, drink, museums, bus tours, ski, canoe/kayak, boat tours, wildlife watching or just relax and smell the roses.

The Icefield Parkway is definitely a must do.

The drive form Longview, south of Calgary Alberta up through Kananaskis on Highway 40 is another beautiful drive. End up in Canmore and then Banff. This is a popular drive to do on motorcycles.

Reading this forum has enlightened me on several places that I have never been to but would love to go. Utah and Arizona are on my to do list. Hopefully I will get to strike them off the To Do List some day and add them to the completed list.
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 05:16 AM   #16

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by NuthatchBC View Post
We had the same problem (microwave turntable falling out, denting the stovetop and shattering) on a drive to the campground at Fundy National Park down a bad washboard road. We took it that we had not completely latched the MW door. Checking such is now on our preflight mental checklist.
Old 06-17-2014, 04:14 PM   #17

Thank you all for your insights and recommendations--really appreciate the feedback! Only 25 days until we leave Illinois for Chilliwack!