Bayview or Deception Pass State Park - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 02-18-2015, 01:04 PM   #21

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
I spent the first 2 nights @ Deception Pass in a back in sight. I figured it wasn't going to get any easier by waiting for the first back in sight. You can wait all you want, but at some point you have to pull the trigger and give it a try! Just be patient and don't get flustered by the lookers!
Old 02-18-2015, 02:28 PM   #22
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by kstock11 View Post
You can wait all you want, but at some point you have to pull the trigger and give it a try! Just be patient and don't get flustered by the lookers!
I'm gonna be like "Hey ya'll, come here! Wanna see me make an ass out of myself?" Learning and making the occasional mistake is part of the fun.
Old 02-18-2015, 05:30 PM   #23

Trailer: 2022 Coachmen Nova 20C
Norma and I were in the area and drove through Bay View today.
The water is off, but there is a pipe bib on the restroom where you can fill your fresh tank.
There is a closed highway scale just before you turn off highway 20 onto Bayview-Edison road. You can pull in and weigh your rig if you have an interest.
Daffodils are up in at least one field...at the rate we're going weather-wise the tulips will be blooming next month and gone for the annual Tulip Festival in April
paulw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 06:31 PM   #24

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Deception Pass does have some pull-thrus. When we checked in, first time ever pulling a trailer, and she offered a pull-thru, I took it. A few minutes later I watched two girls back a big trailer into a small spot on the first try.

Most injuries injuries in old men occur because they think they are young men!
bisonbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 07:23 PM   #25
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulw View Post
Norma and I were in the area and drove through Bay View today.
The water is off, but there is a pipe bib on the restroom where you can fill your fresh tank.
There is a closed highway scale just before you turn off highway 20 onto Bayview-Edison road. You can pull in and weigh your rig if you have an interest.
Daffodils are up in at least one field...at the rate we're going weather-wise the tulips will be blooming next month and gone for the annual Tulip Festival in April
Paul, do you think the water will be on by March 20th? The Washington State Parks site doesn't say anything about it.
Old 02-18-2015, 07:56 PM   #26

Trailer: 2022 Coachmen Nova 20C
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Paul, do you think the water will be on by March 20th? The Washington State Parks site doesn't say anything about it.
Hi Ryan,
We didn't see any park staff to ask about it today & the host had their "Off Duty" sign out... I don't really know if they hold to a set schedule to de-winterized or watch the weather.
paulw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 09:02 PM   #27
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulw View Post
Hi Ryan,
We didn't see any park staff to ask about it today & the host had their "Off Duty" sign out... I don't really know if they hold to a set schedule to de-winterized or watch the weather.
Thanks Paul. I did find what I was looking for on a link about Park Alerts. Looks like water will be on come March:

Park Winterization - 11/10/14 - 2/28/15
During the winter months, the water is shut off in campsites 10 - 30 and the exterior faucets for cabins 1 - 6 for winterization. The water for interior use in cabins 5 and 6 remains available. The dump station is open, but there is no water for cleaning and rinsing. An exterior winter water supply will be available at the open restroom across from site 10.

Robert
Old 02-19-2015, 07:17 PM   #28

Trailer: 2006 Escape 17B
If it is warm (+10c) we will hit Deception pass at the start of the trip and if not we will come back on the way home

If it is cooler we will try Bayview for a night then head south for some of the wonderful Oregon sights ( Donna has left lots of clues for Oregon in the Archives).

As for backing up usually i am okay and hit the spot ..... once in a while however it is a disaster ( Maybe the directions i get or maybe my brian is out of gear)

Spring arrives on the left coast 2 months before it gets here
I am hoping to have two springs this year, one there and one here... please tell the flowers to hold off for 3 more weeks until we can get there.
alan in alberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 08:25 AM   #29

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
When you stay in Deception Pass, be sure to take a walk across that bridge. Yep. You go first.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 12:21 AM   #30

Trailer: 2012 Escape 17B, 2011 Ranger FX4
Sleepless in Deception Pass

We had a memorable night, or at least part of one, in Deception Pass many years ago (right around the time of the US offensive in Iraq).
We had just vacated the campfire & headed for sleep (in our Westfalia at the time), when the first plane flew overhead. Very low. Very loud. And then another. And another. And another . . . About every 90 seconds or so. For hours . . . When we gave up trying to sleep, and pulled out of the campground, along with pretty much every other camper, around 3AM, a very apologetic Washington Park ranger explained it. Seems Deception Pass is very near, & in the flight path for, Whidbey Island Naval Air Station. Periodically, the military conducts night (or day, too, for that matter) take-offs & landings practices. And, especially under the war conditions of the time, the military was obviously not going to give the public, or even Washington Parks, advance notice of the timing. So we endured hours of the navy's "top guns" overflying the campground at about 400 meters on full afterburners, continuously for hours, before bailing out.
Deception Pass is a beautiful spot, as we've found in several more trips through the area over the intervening years -- but we've never camped there again!
maurerl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 06:44 AM   #31
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by maurerl View Post
...So we endured hours of the navy's "top guns" overflying the campground at about 400 meters on full afterburners, continuously for hours, before bailing out.
Deception Pass is a beautiful spot, as we've found in several more trips through the area over the intervening years -- but we've never camped there again!
I thoroughly understand. I feel the same way about trains and the blowing of horns. One of the reasons I've resisted camping along the Oregon side of the Columbia River. Trains go through between midnight at 6am. Toot-toot! I'll probably camp there in the future and hope my memories are more vivid than reality.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 08:37 AM   #32

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
As we've traveled the south eastern states it seems train tracks and campgrounds go together, like gas stations and convenience stores.