BC Ferries - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 05-21-2014, 10:20 AM   #11

Trailer: 2007 Escape 5.0, 2015 F150 2.7EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveandsandyclink View Post
Do you feel that is a fair price to ride over to Vancouver Island? At that price, I would say your family friendly park would be out of the question for most average families. How far is the ride? Our ferries are free here on the Texas coast for everything from pedestrians to semi trucks/trailers.
David, I think that the prices for BC Ferries are only fair in the fact that our highway systems in Canada are funded totally by the provinces with some help from the feds (minimal). We pay high fuel taxes (we are paying over $5 a US gallon) to see our "gubments" apply those to just about anything but the highways. BC Ferries in effect is part of the BC highway system.

I saw a comment just the other day about why ND highway are much better than MB ones, and I can attest as mentioned in another thread - I drove 260 miles last Sunday in ND - basically because of the federal US funding for highways - which is also why you have those speedy interstates whereas to cross this country through northern Ontario it's a two lane road with some passing lanes.

Adrian
one week left until our 5.0 arrives!

emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 10:31 AM   #12

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19 & 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by emers382 View Post
David, I think that the prices for BC Ferries are only fair in the fact that our highway systems in Canada are funded totally by the provinces with some help from the feds (minimal). We pay high fuel taxes (we are paying over $5 a US gallon) to see our "gubments" apply those to just about anything but the highways. BC Ferries in effect is part of the BC highway system.

I saw a comment just the other day about why ND highway are much better than MB ones, and I can attest as mentioned in another thread - I drove 260 miles last Sunday in ND - basically because of the federal US funding for highways - which is also why you have those speedy interstates whereas to cross this country through northern Ontario it's a two lane road with some passing lanes.

Adrian
one week left until our 5.0 arrives!
Comparing US and Canada infrastructure is much more complex than simply pointing to differences in sources of funding. You could also consider that Canada is physically greater in size compared to the US, but has only about 1/10 of the population of the US. Thus, in Canada the resources available for building and operating new infrastructure are going to be smaller and spread over a greater area than in the US. That may be one reason why ferry costs are relatively high.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 10:36 AM   #13

Trailer: 2007 Escape 5.0, 2015 F150 2.7EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by ice-breaker View Post
Comparing US and Canada infrastructure is much more complex than simply pointing to differences in sources of funding. You could also consider that Canada is physically greater in size compared to the US, but has only about 1/10 of the population of the US. Thus, in Canada the resources available for building and operating new infrastructure are going to be smaller and spread over a greater area than in the US. That may be one reason why ferry costs are relatively high.
Agree! Funding is just one part of the equation. Figuring we've one tenth the population spread out across a vast area, with most people living close to the US border. Of course that also means that many Canadians crossing from east to west or west to east will go through the US to avoid that Northern ON route with its disadvantages such as high gas prices, few decent places to stay unless you hit the major cities like Thunder Bay and Sault Ste. Marie. Having lived in Tbay with family near Toronto we've done the drive many times. Now when we go we head through the US unless we are stopping to visit our son and family in Tbay.

Adrian
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 03:25 PM   #14

Trailer: Escape 5.0 SA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
$152 sounds like a lot for an "average family" for a one-night adventure. For the two weeks that the family could happily spend on Vancouver Island, that cost seems like a small factor. Would that average family take a two-hour airline flight somewhere to see something for a day? If not, would they take that flight for a week or two?

As Dave explained, this is not a little hop to a Gulf Coast barrier island.
Your really looking at $300.00+ to get there and back Brian. And I would imagine everything would be inflated in price on the island due to transportation costs. I guess commuting to work daily is rare. At this time in my life I might go there for a week if I never had experienced Vancouver Island but the average US family...I don't know. A lot of families are just getting by and drive & camping on the cheap while raising kids. A forest or a beach is just that to a kid.
Your right about gulf coast ferries. They are just a hop and no comparison to a 2hr ride. Part of the TX state highway system but what a bargain.
daveandsandyclink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 04:28 PM   #15

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21. Tow vehicle: 2012 Toyota Tundra Crewmax.
Actually, grocery and retail prices in Victoria, Nanaimo, and the Comox Valley are about the same as Vancouver, and gas prices are lower in towns where there's no extra public transit tax on fuel. The big box store prices are generally the same throughout their Canadian networks, including the Island. The BC Ferry costs are a shocker, though, but the company seems to have more vice-presidents than deckhands, so it's no wonder.
Old 05-21-2014, 04:31 PM   #16

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
As a matter of fact daveandsandyclink you may be paying more than $300.00 round trip. The cost is based on length.
That being said, Vancouver Island is a place you really should not miss. It is expensive but once on the island you'll see that there is a lot to see. Victoria, Tofino, etc.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 06:10 PM   #17

Trailer: Escape 5.0 SA
I agree with you J Mac. We are planning to visit in the next year or two ahead and attend a rally. Any pictures of you favorite place on the island.
daveandsandyclink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 06:17 PM   #18

Not too handy with a camera so your best bet is to google Victoria, BC and see what follows.
The Capital buildings and all of the harbour are not to be missed if you like urban lifestyle and the first growth forests near Clayoquot Sound if you like rural.
Old 05-21-2014, 07:00 PM   #19

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Here ya go... All taken at Chesterman's Beach (just south of Tofino)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0032-_MG_3804.jpg (106.3 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg 0075-_MG_4118.jpg (164.7 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg 0080-_MG_4130.jpg (358.4 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 0005-_MG_3664.jpg (69.6 KB, 18 views)

2013 Escape 19 ("The Dog House") , 2012 Nissan Frontier
dbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 07:07 PM   #20

Nice shots dbailey!