BC Ferries - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 05-20-2014, 01:45 PM   #1

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
BC Ferries

Just got home from Rathtrevor Provincial Park. (Vancouver Island, BC)
Known for it's family friendly camp site long rocky and sandy beach. Super clean washrooms, best shower I've ever used in a provincial park. Enormous play ground/bike park for kids, level sites.

Ferry price:
30' Oversize Vehicle $114.25
2 Adults 35.00
Fuel surcharge 4.80
2 Port Fee Adult?? .30

total $151.85 :
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 02:10 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
That's one way for the ferry.
Old 05-20-2014, 02:30 PM   #3

Yup, one way.
Old 05-20-2014, 04:28 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
I will be on it a week from tomorrow, heading to the same campground. Unfortunately my length is 38 1/3 feet, I am estimating around $210. I will be looking forward to the showers.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 05:37 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape 5.0 SA
Do you feel that is a fair price to ride over to Vancouver Island? At that price, I would say your family friendly park would be out of the question for most average families. How far is the ride? Our ferries are free here on the Texas coast for everything from pedestrians to semi trucks/trailers.
daveandsandyclink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 05:48 PM   #6

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveandsandyclink View Post
Do you feel that is a fair price to ride over to Vancouver Island? At that price, I would say your family friendly park would be out of the question for most average families. How far is the ride? Our ferries are free here on the Texas coast for everything from pedestrians to semi trucks/trailers.
Ferry cost is about the same as what we paid last summer. Is about a 2hr trip. It is definitely expensive, and not likely a trip you would want to make for just a weekend stay. But Vancouver Island is definitely worth visiting. We spent about 10 days on the Island last year with about a week of that at Pacific Rim National Park. Would definitely love to go back again soon.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 07:18 PM   #7

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA
Staying at the Pacfic Rim National Park or even one of the other private ones would make the trip worth it. There is whale watching, surfing and lots of other activities. We stay at the park for a week every year in September.
I think most islanders would agree that the ferries are too expensive, especially when you have to take a ferry to see anything other than Vancouver Island. (small rant). It's still a good place to live.
Old 05-20-2014, 08:40 PM   #8

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
$152 sounds like a lot for an "average family" for a one-night adventure. For the two weeks that the family could happily spend on Vancouver Island, that cost seems like a small factor. Would that average family take a two-hour airline flight somewhere to see something for a day? If not, would they take that flight for a week or two?

As Dave explained, this is not a little hop to a Gulf Coast barrier island.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 11:38 PM   #9

Trailer: 2016 - Escape 19 (2nd Gen), 2021 F150 Powerboost
I'm not a big fan of the pricing but I do know some boat owners who ferry their boats across the strait because it's cheaper than putting fuel in their boat. Of course fuel prices here are a whole other conversation. Once you're on the rock, you can drive north to Port Hardy and take another ferry to Prince Rupert, and then another to Haida Gwaii. Bring rubber boots. Or you can stay closer to Georgia Strait and bump over to the Gulf Islands. Beautiful scenery.
davescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 12:51 AM   #10

Trailer: 2012 15A
Vancouver Island has an abundance of great places to visit and camp. Both on the coast and inland. Once there you quickly loose track that you are on an island, a very big island. It is larger than many countries! Elevations range from sea level to 2,200 metres (7,216 ft)
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 09:20 AM   #11

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveandsandyclink View Post
David, I think that the prices for BC Ferries are only fair in the fact that our highway systems in Canada are funded totally by the provinces with some help from the feds (minimal). We pay high fuel taxes (we are paying over $5 a US gallon) to see our "gubments" apply those to just about anything but the highways. BC Ferries in effect is part of the BC highway system.

I saw a comment just the other day about why ND highway are much better than MB ones, and I can attest as mentioned in another thread - I drove 260 miles last Sunday in ND - basically because of the federal US funding for highways - which is also why you have those speedy interstates whereas to cross this country through northern Ontario it's a two lane road with some passing lanes.

Adrian
one week left until our 5.0 arrives!
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 09:31 AM   #12

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by emers382 View Post
David, I think that the prices for BC Ferries are only fair in the fact that our highway systems in Canada are funded totally by the provinces with some help from the feds (minimal). We pay high fuel taxes (we are paying over $5 a US gallon) to see our "gubments" apply those to just about anything but the highways. BC Ferries in effect is part of the BC highway system.

I saw a comment just the other day about why ND highway are much better than MB ones, and I can attest as mentioned in another thread - I drove 260 miles last Sunday in ND - basically because of the federal US funding for highways - which is also why you have those speedy interstates whereas to cross this country through northern Ontario it's a two lane road with some passing lanes.

Adrian
one week left until our 5.0 arrives!
Comparing US and Canada infrastructure is much more complex than simply pointing to differences in sources of funding. You could also consider that Canada is physically greater in size compared to the US, but has only about 1/10 of the population of the US. Thus, in Canada the resources available for building and operating new infrastructure are going to be smaller and spread over a greater area than in the US. That may be one reason why ferry costs are relatively high.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 09:36 AM   #13

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by ice-breaker View Post
Comparing US and Canada infrastructure is much more complex than simply pointing to differences in sources of funding. You could also consider that Canada is physically greater in size compared to the US, but has only about 1/10 of the population of the US. Thus, in Canada the resources available for building and operating new infrastructure are going to be smaller and spread over a greater area than in the US. That may be one reason why ferry costs are relatively high.
Agree! Funding is just one part of the equation. Figuring we've one tenth the population spread out across a vast area, with most people living close to the US border. Of course that also means that many Canadians crossing from east to west or west to east will go through the US to avoid that Northern ON route with its disadvantages such as high gas prices, few decent places to stay unless you hit the major cities like Thunder Bay and Sault Ste. Marie. Having lived in Tbay with family near Toronto we've done the drive many times. Now when we go we head through the US unless we are stopping to visit our son and family in Tbay.

Adrian
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 02:25 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
$152 sounds like a lot for an "average family" for a one-night adventure. For the two weeks that the family could happily spend on Vancouver Island, that cost seems like a small factor. Would that average family take a two-hour airline flight somewhere to see something for a day? If not, would they take that flight for a week or two?

As Dave explained, this is not a little hop to a Gulf Coast barrier island.
Your really looking at $300.00+ to get there and back Brian. And I would imagine everything would be inflated in price on the island due to transportation costs. I guess commuting to work daily is rare. At this time in my life I might go there for a week if I never had experienced Vancouver Island but the average US family...I don't know. A lot of families are just getting by and drive & camping on the cheap while raising kids. A forest or a beach is just that to a kid.
Your right about gulf coast ferries. They are just a hop and no comparison to a 2hr ride. Part of the TX state highway system but what a bargain.
Old 05-21-2014, 03:28 PM   #15

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21--FOR SALE
Actually, grocery and retail prices in Victoria, Nanaimo, and the Comox Valley are about the same as Vancouver, and gas prices are lower in towns where there's no extra public transit tax on fuel. The big box store prices are generally the same throughout their Canadian networks, including the Island. The BC Ferry costs are a shocker, though, but the company seems to have more vice-presidents than deckhands, so it's no wonder.
Old 05-21-2014, 03:31 PM   #16

As a matter of fact daveandsandyclink you may be paying more than $300.00 round trip. The cost is based on length.
That being said, Vancouver Island is a place you really should not miss. It is expensive but once on the island you'll see that there is a lot to see. Victoria, Tofino, etc.
Old 05-21-2014, 05:10 PM   #17

I agree with you J Mac. We are planning to visit in the next year or two ahead and attend a rally. Any pictures of you favorite place on the island.
Old 05-21-2014, 05:17 PM   #18

Not too handy with a camera so your best bet is to google Victoria, BC and see what follows.
The Capital buildings and all of the harbour are not to be missed if you like urban lifestyle and the first growth forests near Clayoquot Sound if you like rural.
Old 05-21-2014, 06:00 PM   #19

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Here ya go... All taken at Chesterman's Beach (just south of Tofino)
Attached Thumbnails
0032-_MG_3804.jpg   0075-_MG_4118.jpg   0080-_MG_4130.jpg   0005-_MG_3664.jpg  

2013 Escape 19 ("The Dog House") , 2018 Ford F150
dbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 06:07 PM   #20

Nice shots dbailey!