Best places to camp the night of orientation? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 01-28-2017, 08:40 AM   #1

Trailer: Escape 21' May 2017
Best places to camp the night of orientation?

What are some close places near Chilliwack to camp for the first night of orientation with hook ups? We want to keep things as simple as possible our first night.

We will also have about six days between our orientation in Chilliwack and the Escape appreciation rally, so we would like to know some places that are scenic that we can camp in between Chilliwack and Osooyos.
The Quilting Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 08:43 AM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
This Google site search will give you lots of good reading on the subject.

Chilliwack Camping
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 09:34 AM   #3

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
I assume from your profile you are importing to USA at pickup.

In that case Lynden KOA is ideal. Very close. Pull thru. Hook ups.

Many people stay there the first night, with good reasons.

We did and we were very happy.

Reserve well ahead "in season"

Open year round. (See their website for details)

John
Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 10:01 AM   #4

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Despite the Escape being a fabulous trailer, you might be wise to camp a couple of days within a short drive of ETI in case you discover some minor issue. That way you could easily have it fixed right at the factory. We had a missing bead of sealant around our sink and a stripped screw on the exterior hot water tank hatch that required repair. They apparently had a bout of flu at ETI resulting in workers doing jobs they weren't too familiar with (Tammy & Reece had to cut short a vacation to come address the crisis). But small mistakes can happen in any production line or defective parts can also happen. We had to replace both awning latches after a year due to broken defective springs (bad batch).

If you plan on camping with full hookup between Chilliwack and Osooyos, you are going to have to go to private campsites. Provincial campsites (no national parks on the way) don't have full hook ups.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bobbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 10:07 AM   #5

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
I don't know if it is still the case, but when we picked up our 2010 17, Tammy had a deal with a local private RV camping place in Chilliwack where we got a reduced rate. We stayed there and tested out everything. I even waxed the front for easy bug removal for the journey home. Mary, thought I was nuts.... but what's new!

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 11:12 AM   #6

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA has gone to a good home in Manitoba. Now Class B+ owners sadly not an Escape
The Lynden KOA is a great choice to stay with hookups to check everything out on your trailer. The EC Manning Provincial Park is a beautiful stop in between Chilliwack and Osoyoos but I think it is boondocking.
Old 01-28-2017, 12:25 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpokanEscape View Post
The Lynden KOA is a great choice to stay with hookups to check everything out on your trailer. The EC Manning Provincial Park is a beautiful stop in between Chilliwack and Osoyoos but I think it is boondocking.
Well, maybe we will try Boondocking. We have never done that before but I think we're willing to try. I'm just afraid it might be risky in a new trailer though. We are getting the double 6 V batteries and the solar package and oven. So we should be all set, if we know how to work everything and that could be questionable.
Old 01-28-2017, 12:32 PM   #8
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
This is a novel idea and may cost you some money... to just throw it away. But have you considered getting a site with electric and not use it? Just to see how successful you are, if you fail... you can plug in.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 12:39 PM   #9

Trailer: 2015 Esc 21. Formerly, Casita LD (16 & 17)
Good idea, Donna. Or go 50-50: try out the systems without plugging in, then plug in and try those.
Old 01-28-2017, 01:06 PM   #10

Wow, Donna and Mary those are great ideas. We could try it out in a KOA camp and then we will know if we can do it in the national forest. So are there any great national forest between Chilliwack and the rally?
Old 01-28-2017, 01:27 PM   #11

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Quilting Lady View Post
Wow, Donna and Mary those are great ideas. We could try it out in a KOA camp and then we will know if we can do it in the national forest. So are there any great national forest between Chilliwack and the rally?
I might suggest Hope BC as a night's potential. There is about three campsites there and only 30 minutes from escape.

Provincial sites.... BC Parks - Province of British Columbia

Also a city park in Princeton (nicer than the perfectly adequate private park). Hedley has some opportunities too.

I don't have a link to Manning Park, but there should be at least two camps open there then.

A friendly reminder to all to be aware if what is on the CBSA "naughty" list, especially foodstuffs.
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 01:37 PM   #12

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
What are your plans after the rally for returning to Texas? If you are heading down the Washington or Oregon coast, then I would spend those six days at BC provincial parks. Going back up into Canada to Can 1, then BC 5 to BC 97c to Kelowna, down to Penticton then the rally. Beautiful country there.

If you are heading back to Texas inland, then I would visit the Olympic Peninsula at Kalaloch campground using it as a base to visit Olympic National park and the rainforest.

I love this site for learning about campgrounds. After joining, you get weekly review summaries in your email. I Like that the review often have pictures and cover the services important to RV use.

https://www.campendium.com

Here is the review for Kalaloch.
https://www.campendium.com/kalaloch-campground
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 01:46 PM   #13

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
We will also have about six days between our orientation in Chilliwack and the Escape appreciation rally.
Oh, and on another note, my wife Paula is an avid quilter. She is downstairs on her mid-arm as I type this. I hope we get a chance to meet at the rally.

Photo 1 is the the quilt room I made for her when we remodeled our basement.
Photo 2 is the quilt she made for our trailer, it has wool batting, and our dog, Kizzy.
Photo 3 is my bar so the guys have something to look at too. ;-)
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN0485.jpg   DSCN0963.jpg   IMG_0729.jpg  
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 03:33 PM   #14

Trailer: '87 Bigfoot 20DLX 5er (sold) - 2017 Escape 5.0 TA: Sep-17
Hi Nancy,

I'm sure you'll find boondocking to be easy-peasy. Before I did it I was a bit nervous, but once I was into it, it was no big deal. And it opens up so many new possibilities. Now I look for boondocking opportunities.

With 2x6V batteries and solar, power should not be a problem.

If you're reasonably conservative with fresh water, filling and dumping shouldn't be an issue. Three or four days off the grid will be simple. As you get more experienced, a week will not be a challenge.

IMO showering is the biggest water hog. If you master a 'navy shower' you can cut a shower down to a couple of gallons or less. When I'm really trying to conserve, I bathe out of a gallon bowl with a wash cloth. One bowl does the job, including my hair. But I struggle with getting chilled when using only a little water. At home, I I use more hot water keeping warm than washing. In my trailer, I try to remember to heat the room before the shower.

Boondocking hub is going to be such a great adventure! Enjoy!

Rich
ReagentGrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 05:09 PM   #15

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
After our familiarization on the day of pick up, we drove the short distance to here. It is just 20 - 25 minutes east of Chilliwack. Bridal Falls RV Campground - Camping Bridal Falls Camperland RV Resort - Holiday Trails RV Resorts

As has been mentioned, it was nice to hook-up and test all systems before carrying on further afield.
Glennrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 05:19 PM   #16

Trailer: 2016 19 / Toyota 4Runner 2019
Campgrounds

I would recommend staying at the Cottonwood private RV site the first night, pay for full hookups and test out all your systems. It is right across Hwy 1 from Escape maybe a five minute drive. Saved me when I had a problem with my awning first night on my 17B. I used them again for my 19. About $40CDN per night.

If you want to stay at a provincial site Cultus Lake is pretty close just a half hour drive, nice wooded campsites. I stayed there for a week after I picked up my 19 last June, quiet place.
Old 01-28-2017, 05:23 PM   #17

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 pulled by GMC Canyon Diesel.
Quote:
What are some close places near Chilliwack to camp for the first night of orientation with hook ups? We want to keep things as simple as possible our first night.

We will also have about six days between our orientation in Chilliwack and the Escape appreciation rally, so we would like to know some places that are scenic that we can camp in between Chilliwack and Osooyos.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness. Mark Twain
JPSpins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 05:27 PM   #18

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 pulled by GMC Canyon Diesel.
My orientation is May 23 and Cottonwood were not taking reservations telling me to call in a couple of months, perhaps they would have something. Full up with seasonal campers they said. I will head to Osoyoos later that day after a driving lesson at Valley Driving School.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness. Mark Twain
JPSpins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 05:29 PM   #19

Cottonwood

That's strange both times (2015 and 2016 June) I called a week before and got in no problem. Good luck with whatever you figure out.
Old 01-28-2017, 05:32 PM   #20

Osoyoos

The provincial campground in Osoyoos is great if you can manage to get in there.