Best Route: Bellinham to Osoyoos - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 02-08-2015, 07:26 AM   #21

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Thanks to everyone who replied. I am leaning toward Washington 20 as a Google search put me on a couple of You Tube videos of this route and most everyone has stated that it is not a bad drive even when towing. It does look like there are several small towns with a lot of speed limit changes, so I'm wondering if this will make this route a lot slower than the route through Canada. Unfortunately, I cannot go one route over and the other road back because after the rally, I am continuing east. Time is somewhat of a concern to me because I am picking up my Escape one day before the rally, taking it back to a hotel or a KOA Kamping Kabin where I will be staying the night before orientation, loading and hopefully organizing personal stuff/camping gear into it, and then leaving for Osoyoos. My Travel Math app tells me it is a 4.5 hour drive from the Bellingham area to Osoyoos, but it doesn't tell me if that calculation is based on the northern or southern route. I will try MapQuest to see what it suggests and the time it calculates, but would ask one final question: If concerned with time, which would be the better route since I get the impression from all of the responses that neither would be a "nail-biting thrill ride."
Old 02-08-2015, 12:04 PM   #22

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Via Crowsnest/BC 3: 234 miles, 4 h 40 m
Via BC 5: 286 miles, 5h 10 m
Via WA 20: 246 miles, 4h 50m
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 01:33 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenH View Post
Via Crowsnest/BC 3: 234 miles, 4 h 40 m
Via BC 5: 286 miles, 5h 10 m
Via WA 20: 246 miles, 4h 50m
Thanks, Karen. That means Canada is 30 minutes shorter. What about stop and go traffic, eg. lots of speed limit changes and traffic lights. Are they about the same or is one better than the other.
Old 02-08-2015, 01:39 PM   #24

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
These numbers are from Google Maps so I think they take traffic somewhat into account. So it looks to me that the BC Crowsnest and WA Hwy 20 routes are a push.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 03:30 PM   #25

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenH View Post
These numbers are from Google Maps so I think they take traffic somewhat into account.
I think what the timing calculations take into account are speed limits. If, for instance, your speed on one route would be at the speed limit and the other would be much higher or lower than the limit, then the relative timings won't be quite right.

In this specific case I haven't been on the U.S. route so I can't help with likely speeds.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 03:34 PM   #26

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Gas is cheaper south of the border.
Old 02-08-2015, 05:15 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Gas is cheaper south of the border.
Yes, perhaps it is, but it's only money and you can't take it with you. Besides, given the current exchange rate, I don't mind doing something to help my Canadian neighbors who need to make a living. There are no finer neighbors anywhere in the world! And my ancestors on my mother's side came from Canada, even if it is that snobby part of Canada that doesn't appreciate being part of the Confederation but is happy to accept tax dollars collected in other provinces, and won't give you the time of day if you speak English. Oops, time to put a lid on that topic. Don't mean to offend anyone.

Actually, I just want the easiest, quickest route to Osoyoos from the Bellingham area. I can go sightseeing after the rally, and plan to visit a friend in Kelowna, but I doubt I will ever get a chance to attend this rally again, or to meet so many of the people who have patiently answered my Escape related questions since I placed my order last July.
Old 02-08-2015, 06:07 PM   #28
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
Actually, I just want the easiest, quickest route to Osoyoos from the Bellingham area. I can go sightseeing after the rally, and plan to visit a friend in Kelowna, but I doubt I will ever get a chance to attend this rally again, or to meet so many of the people who have patiently answered my Escape related questions since I placed my order last July.
As my Dad used to tell my mother (when they were lost), settle back, relax, enjoy the views... we may never pass this way again. It's the same here. And while none of us can be at different places at the same time, coming all this way and missing the rally by just days... would be a tragedy (for me because I want to meet you!).
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 10:42 AM   #29

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
One small consideration might be crossing back into Canada, especially if the trailer isn't fully licensed. Border guards are only human and there seems to be quite a variation in their attitudes and abilities to deal with people. I don't think there is any right or wrong aspect to which road route to take. But, the Sumas crossing folks are much more likely to be familiar with the Escape situation that other crossings than might think it strange that a trailer, maybe not fully licensed, is trying to cross back into Canada.

So, all other things being more or less equal, I guess if it was me I'd cross at Sumas. If there's any issues to deal with better to find out sooner than later. And, after towing the unit for an hour or so, if any issues turn up, help is close by.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 10:52 AM   #30

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
That may be somewhat true about Sumas however at the time of the Rally so many Escapes are going through Oroville that they just waved me through after asking if I had enough beer!

We were scolded by US agents coming back however as we had an orange(bought in US)- said I should have known better being from CA.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 02:52 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
One small consideration might be crossing back into Canada, especially if the trailer isn't fully licensed. Border guards are only human and there seems to be quite a variation in their attitudes and abilities to deal with people. I don't think there is any right or wrong aspect to which road route to take. But, the Sumas crossing folks are much more likely to be familiar with the Escape situation that other crossings than might think it strange that a trailer, maybe not fully licensed, is trying to cross back into Canada.

So, all other things being more or less equal, I guess if it was me I'd cross at Sumas. If there's any issues to deal with better to find out sooner than later. And, after towing the unit for an hour or so, if any issues turn up, help is close by.

Ron
Two very good points, Ron. Florida is one of the states that allow you to register a trailer that is in another location and hasn't been picked up yet. Since I already have a tag, it will be a "transfer." An expensive one since I expect the transfer fee, application for title, and sales tax will be somewhere around $2,500.

And hopefully there won't be any issues with the new trailer. When I picked up my Scamp, I hung around Minnesota for a few days for that very reason.