Big Bend National Park - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 05-18-2017, 08:50 PM   #1

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Big Bend National Park

How is Big Bend in January and February? I guess crowds if it is the high season, if Big Bend can be crowded.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 08:55 PM   #2

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
I have to take an "internet pause" and pick up Susannah at work. Meanwhile hopefully a number of folks will jump in.

--
Alan
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 09:06 PM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
So Alan or someone, how is Big Bend in January and February? I guess crowds if it is the high season, if Big Bend can be crowded.
Cathy, Big Bend has highs on the 60's and lows around 40 during the months you asked about. But, elevation changes that. So, if you're camped in Chisos Basin rather than down by the Rio Grande, expect it to be at least 10 degrees colder. As for crowds, you will probably have no issues in those months, but it's a little more crowded in November, December, and March/April - at least in my experience. We actually prefer that time of year (Jan/Feb), because there's no need for AC and you have a better choice of campsites. A daytime hike is very pleasant too when the high is only around 62-65. Do pack some good coats however. It gets chilly at night in the desert.
Old 05-18-2017, 09:10 PM   #4
Site Team

Oh and PS - we are talking averages. During the winter in Big Bend, I've seen it as cold as 30 and as hot as 84.
Old 05-18-2017, 09:12 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Cathy, Big Bend has highs on the 60's and lows around 40 during the months you asked about. But, elevation changes that. So, if you're camped in Chisos Basin rather than down by the Rio Grande, expect it to be at least 10 degrees colder. As for crowds, you will have zero issues in the winter. We actually prefer that time of year, because there's no need for AC and you have a better choice of campsites. A daytime hike is very pleasant too when the high is only around 62-65. Do pack some good coats however. It gets chilly at night in the desert.
Only up to 20' recommended at Chisos and figure we would be down lower. You mean highs of 60's at Chisos, I guess, so I expect warmer lower at the other campground.

I thought that it would be crowded. Good to hear that that is not so.

There are so many sights and towns to see around there that I hardly think we can do half of it.

Pat, come on over!
Old 05-18-2017, 09:18 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Only up to 20' recommended at Chisos and figure we would be down lower. You mean highs of 60's at Chisos, I guess, so I expect warmer lower at the other campground.

I expected that it would be crowded. Good to hear that that is not so.
You can camp at Chisos in a 21. But, there aren't that many campsites suitable for that length. Try to find one of the pull through "half circle" spots. Plenty of room for a 21. The road in does have some hairpin turns, but you'll make it. Just be cautious. The crowds in our experience aren't that bad in January or February, but do make reservations.

60's is the average all over the park, which is mostly lower than Chisos. Chisos Basin will be colder - so expect maybe 5 degrees colder for every 1000 foot rise in elevation.
Old 05-18-2017, 09:51 PM   #7

Trailer: 2015 Esc 21. Formerly, Casita LD (16 & 17)
By "Chisos" I assume y'all mean the Basin campground...or is there another one called Chisos? (It's the Chisos mtn range, I know.)

Like winter in the rest of Texas, anything's possible in January/February, including ice...
Old 05-18-2017, 09:55 PM   #8

[QUOTE=Mary F;198015]By "Chisos" I assume y'all mean the Basin campground...or is there another one called Chisos? (It's the Chisos mtn range, I know.)

Like winter in the rest of Texas, anything's possible in January/February, including ice...[/QUOTE

Yes, it is called Chisos Basin Campground.

This past winter was actually very hot at the lower elevations from what I read.
Old 05-18-2017, 09:59 PM   #9

Quote:
You can camp at Chisos in a 21. But, there aren't that many campsites suitable for that length. Try to find one of the pull through "half circle" spots. Plenty of room for a 21. The road in does have some hairpin turns, but you'll make it. Just be cautious. The crowds in our experience aren't that bad in January or February, but do make reservations.

60's is the average all over the park, which is mostly lower than Chisos. Chisos Basin will be colder - so expect maybe 5 degrees colder for every 1000 foot rise in elevation.
Well, a pull-through would work then if we go up there. We will check it out for sure. Thanks. Apparently they take reservations only within six months.
Old 05-18-2017, 10:02 PM   #10

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:

I thought that it would be crowded. Good to hear that that is not so.

There are so many sights and towns to see around there that I hardly think we can do half of it.

Pat, come on over!
Cathy you thinking Jan . , Feb at lower elevation ? Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 10:10 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Cathy you thinking Jan . , Feb at lower elevation ? Pat
Just looked at average temperatures and into February looks best.

Lower elevation, yes, but will go up and have a look at least with TV only.

I see the Rio Grande Village campground, lower elevation, is closed this year May - September for work on water and waste systems.
Old 05-18-2017, 10:22 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Well, a pull-through would work then if we go up there. We will check it out for sure. Thanks. Apparently they take reservations only within six months.
And, even some of the back-in sites will work with a 21. The photo I posted on the thread about screens was our 19 in a back-in site, because tent campers had taken all the pull throughs. Don't know why the NPS allows a single tent to take up such prime space, but they do. In any case, your 21 would fit that site.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 05-18-2017, 10:34 PM   #13

One thing that will surprise many people: The night time winter temperatures in the low country are actually about 5 degrees F colder than the Chisos Basin. This is because cold air sinks and the RGV (Rio Grande Village) CG and the Cottonwood CG are both at river level - as low as it gets in the Park.

But absolutely be prepared for temperature extremes. Remember, the average temps in Big Bend is just the mid-point between the two extremes. It hit - officially - 96F in mid-February when we were hosting at RGV. Ouch - no air conditioning. And RGV is in a wind tunnel when the wind is from the north. I've chased down many loose tents and secured awnings for folks who were out hiking. The official forecast may say 10-20 mph, but if there is a north component to the wind direction expect triple that. This is not an issue in the Chisos or Cottonwood.

A special opportunity exists to camp at a backcountry site by yourselves if you can pick up a permit. One or two of the backcountry sites are suitable for small trailers. Ask at the Panther Junction visitor center as the road conditions can vary from year to year. At night you will have the entire park to yourselves seemingly. The sense of isolation is truly amazing.

--
Alan
Old 05-18-2017, 10:46 PM   #14

Quote:
And, even some of the back-in sites will work with a 21. The photo I posted on the thread about screens was our 19 in a back-in site, because tent campers had taken all the pull throughs. Don't know why the NPS allows a single tent to take up such prime space, but they do. In any case, your 21 would fit that site.
Its not really a matter of "allowing". The reservation system doesn't have the ability to prevent someone from making reservations for certain sites based on their equipment. And since there are no hookups anywhere all sites are considered tent sites. The Chisos Basin CG is really quite compact and flat space is at a premium. If you are used to having big sites like we do here in Colorado, you might groan when you realize you are 6 feet from your neighbor. But - ask your friendly camp host for advice! We have been known to negotiate and move folks around. But only on rare occasions when the CG is not crowded and the stars are aligned just right.

An alternative is to head to the Cottonwood CG. It is a bit of the beaten track, no reservations taken - and rarely needed except at the March/April peak. The sites at Cottonwood are bigger and level, and there are only about 24 sites so it is much quieter in general. Its my favorite of the 3. The downside is that you are at the far end of the Park and it becomes a significant drive to go most anywhere.

--
Alan
Old 05-18-2017, 11:36 PM   #15

Trailer: 2015 Esc 21. Formerly, Casita LD (16 & 17)
[QUOTE=float5;198017]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary F View Post
By "Chisos" I assume y'all mean the Basin campground...or is there another one called Chisos? (It's the Chisos mtn range, I know.)

Like winter in the rest of Texas, anything's possible in January/February, including ice...[/QUOTE

Yes, it is called Chisos Basin Campground.

This past winter was actually very hot at the lower elevations from what I read.
Oh. I have only ever heard it called The Basin. Never just "Chisos," which would more likely refer to the mountains. So I was confused...reading the posts in reverse order, mostly.

Our central TX winter was for the most part warm, too, except for the two nights it got down to 19F (about 2 weeks apart, with busted plumbing both times)... And winter of 2016 there was an ice storm out there, around New Years (we were there). You just have to watch the weather and be flexible. That's all I was trying to say, but of course, YMMV.
Old 05-19-2017, 12:09 AM   #16
Site Team

Pardon my slang, Mary. I did mean Chisos Basin.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 05-19-2017, 09:31 AM   #17

Looks as if you can't tell what Big Bend is doing in February: temperatures way up and down. Or maybe any other time.

I guess though that that is not the case outside of the park. There is a whole list of places around there to visit.
Old 05-19-2017, 09:49 AM   #18

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape as of 01/16/17
Cottonwood Campground is near Santa Elena Canyon and is also very nice, but has no hookups.

Regards,

"Whoever said retirement was overrated...
...never had an Escape"
Red Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 09:55 AM   #19

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
It can get cold

We tent camped at the Rio Grande Village in February and the nights were cold and below freezing. Attached is a morning photo of a leaking solar shower with icicle atop the picnic table. No utilities at the campsites but we did have a Mr. Buddy for AM tent warm-up. Things warm up pretty quick if it is sunny, I recall.

One other memory is the ground dirt is incredibly dusty and fine and like flour and covers most everything, at least in the campsite.

I would highly recommend a visit to the Fort Davis observatory....cool place and grand views. Alpine, TX is another gem.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0738 (Copy).JPG   IMG_0739 (Copy).JPG  
HABBERDABBER is online now   Reply With Quote