Biloxi MS - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 06-17-2018, 07:28 AM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Biloxi MS

Looking for some recommendations for an upcoming trip. We usually drive fro Biloxi MS to Marathon FL in a single day, yeah a long drive. With the camper we are looking at a two day trip. Can anyone recommend any good places to overnite say between Lake city and Ocala?
Snuffy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 08:40 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
Topsail Hill Preserve State Park fit our needs quite well. It is called a resort park, has a pool. Tram takes you to the beach. Santa Rosa Beach is interesting.
I thought the restrooms were quite good, sites can be a bit cramped, we had a paved one.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 01:58 PM   #3

Trailer: 2011 Casita SD 17 Sold July 2016: 2015 Escape 21 Aug 2016
State Parks

There are a couple of state parks in the geographic area you asked about. O'leno State Park south of Lake City is convenient to I-75. It is located on the Santa Fe River, a tributary of the Suwannee, and one of several waterways in Florida that plunge underground for a ways (in this case about three miles) and then re-emerge and continue on their way. It goes underground in the park. It is an older park. I haven't camped there in a long time, and never with a trailer, but I believe it has hookups and adequate space in many sites.

Payne's Prairie State Park is 10-15 miles south of Gainesville near the small town of Micanopy on the south side of Payne's Prairie. I've never been to the campground so not sure about it's arrangements, but also convenient to I-75.

If you have time for a more scenic drive, Manatee Springs State Park near Chiefland might be a possibility. It is on the Suwannee a few miles above where it reaches the Gulf. If you choose this option, you could leave I-10 at the Highway 19 exit below Monticello, FL and follow 19 down to the road that leads to the Park. Then a couple of optional routes to rejoin I-75 at Ocala or below.

I'm not familiar with any of the commercial campgrounds along that stretch.

Good luck,

Paul (in Tallahassee)
a602pmcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 02:07 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffy2 View Post
Looking for some recommendations for an upcoming trip. We usually drive fro Biloxi MS to Marathon FL in a single day, yeah a long drive. With the camper we are looking at a two day trip. Can anyone recommend any good places to overnite say between Lake city and Ocala?
Hi: Snuffy2... Salt Springs CG. in Ocala Nat. Forest. Might need a res., cause it's a hidden gem, but they have full hookups. Check through Reserve America!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 06:26 AM   #5

Trailer: New 21 Escape (not classic)10/16 Sold Lil Snoozy 7/16
parks

go and get yourself the Allstays app for android or apple products about $10 it will show you most of the parks and KOA military etc etc .Best $10 for RVing you can do
There is also Collier Seminole here in Naples Fl. then you have about a 4 hour drive to marathon .good Luck Jim from naples
jennykatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 08:43 AM   #6

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
We stayed in Manatee Sprigs to break up the route from Port St. Lucie to Biloxi, worked out well for us and was pretty cool checking out the Manatee's and the Gar.

We used to eat at Mary Mahoney's a lot back int he 70's but haven't been to Biloxi since. It was fun stopping in again after all these years.