BlackJack is on the road.... - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 05-20-2015, 06:06 AM   #1

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
BlackJack is on the road....

We left Monday night, actually it was 2 am Tuesday and started our trrek across the country and eventually to Osoyoos. Pennsylvania,Ohio, W. Virginia were all a blur in the night, until daybreak in Indiana. Stopped in Illinois for luch and continued towards St. Louis, Mo. The Gateway Arch is truly a magnificent symbol. We made it to our cg here on the Oklahoma/Missouri border by supper time, 1100 miles from home.
There is a Sisters on the Fly rally going on here, quite interesting group of people. Mainly canned hams and small units, the trail master has an older Avion. When we pulled in with the Escape to register, the group were having a social at the clubhouse.They stopped and surrounded us like bees to honey wanting to klnow what kind of trailer this was and could they see the inside. I told them to allow me to get to my site. What a nice group.
Refer was holding 7 and 42 on the trip, now down to 3 and 36 after plugging in. Setting was #4 and was on propane while traveling.
Missouir is an interesting stae, I guess we are in the Ozarks as we go up and down these hills, a lot different than the Illinois, and Indiana flat lands. Today we head to Amarillo, Texas and the Big Texas Steakhouse for some local flavor..
Old 05-20-2015, 06:16 AM   #2

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
1100 miles in one stint, I'm impressed, it'd take me 3 days.
Old 05-20-2015, 06:52 AM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
On our trip back from Chilliwack last May, we were averaging that per day! (Except move the decimal place - 110.0) We were thankful to be able to take the time to enjoy every mile that we traveled and enjoy the trip. But, you do what you have to do! Drive safe and enjoy!
Old 05-20-2015, 08:49 AM   #4

Trailer: 2012 Escape 15 A
Wow.....that is a lot in one leg .....drive safe and enjoy !
Old 05-20-2015, 09:04 AM   #5

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Absolutely. That is really serious driving! Clearly very much worth it, if only just to experience daybreak in Indiana.
Old 05-20-2015, 10:11 AM   #6

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
Have a safe and wonderful journey!

Friends of ours from Australia camped throughout the U.S. for five months last year and used this app: TrackMyTour: Travel Sharing for iPhone and iPad to chart their progress for friends and family. We had a wonderful time sharing in their progress and, since photos can be added, it made it even more enjoyable. (Looks like there's one for Androids as well: http://www.checkmytour.com/smartphone.html)

Jan

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 10:53 AM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Wow, 1100 miles in one stint. That's impressive even to a person whose usual saying is "Aw, it's only another couple of hundred miles, we can do it"

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 12:18 PM   #8
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
1,100 miles... makes my tush hurt even thinking about it. I'm with padlin, that would be a three-day journey for me.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 12:39 PM   #9

Trailer: Escape 21' 2016
Wow! You are a travlin' warrior! Be sure and have some of that fabulous Texas barbecue. Bar none, the best, arguably. Safe travels and look forward to meeting you at the rally!
Carla Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 04:35 PM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
You had me worried

Jim, you are making such good time I had to check the calendar to make sure that the Rally doesn't start the day after tomorrow. I am astonished at how long you can drive. Good for you!
LeonW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 09:10 PM   #11

Made it to Amarillo, Texas tonite. It seems we brought the cold weather with us, going down to low 50 tonite, thus no storrms to worry. Had a Big Texan Steak Dinner tonite, well worth the stop. Our cg is about 1;4 mile from the place and the cg has individual fenced in dog ares at each spot, Franklin and Hershey are happy dogs tonite. Tomorrow on to Arizona and then heading north. Averaged 13.5 mpg on Tuesday, down to 12 today due to head winds. Refer is on 8 and 42 while on propane on the road and drops to 5 and 38 at night on electric.
Oklahoma and Texas are very flat with little trees. Still recovering from the first days drive so bedtime had prevented me from star gazing . Looking forward to seeing everyone in Osoyoos.
Ps,
Played a Play it forward evwnt tonite, I paid for a random person dinner tonite at the steakhouse, it really feels good to be able to do such an act, wished more people would do this, less strife in the world would result. all for now, ...
Old 05-20-2015, 10:19 PM   #12

Trailer: 2012 Escape 15 A
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Made it to Amarillo, Texas tonite. It seems we brought the cold weather with us, going down to low 50 tonite, thus no storrms to worry. Had a Big Texan Steak Dinner tonite, well worth the stop. Our cg is about 1;4 mile from the place and the cg has individual fenced in dog ares at each spot, Franklin and Hershey are happy dogs tonite. Tomorrow on to Arizona and then heading north. Averaged 13.5 mpg on Tuesday, down to 12 today due to head winds. Refer is on 8 and 42 while on propane on the road and drops to 5 and 38 at night on electric.
Oklahoma and Texas are very flat with little trees. Still recovering from the first days drive so bedtime had prevented me from star gazing . Looking forward to seeing everyone in Osoyoos.
Ps,
Played a Play it forward evwnt tonite, I paid for a random person dinner tonite at the steakhouse, it really feels good to be able to do such an act, wished more people would do this, less strife in the world would result. all for now, ...
Old 05-20-2015, 10:20 PM   #13
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Oklahoma and Texas are very flat with little trees, ...

Yeah, the Texas PANHANDLE is pretty flat, but not my neck of the woods:

Old 05-20-2015, 11:26 PM   #14

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
Love the San Antonio area ...

Jan

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 02:32 AM   #15

Trailer: 2014 5.0 TA
Quote:
Still recovering from the first days drive so bedtime had prevented me from star gazing .
Hi Jim,

1,100 miles in one shot... really. What have you got, a death wish?

With all your typo's, maybe you're more tired than you think.

Just got back from Rodeo, NM where we spent a week around April's new moon and the skies were pristine... Perfect transparency... no moisture from ground to space. If only we had that sky at last year's rally at Jack's observatory. However, dropped in to see his place in the Arizona Sky Village. There he has two observatories, both remotely controlled... could run them from the far side of the moon if one had a couple of uplinks.

Maybe if enough folks are interested and the sky cooperates, you might consider leading a group to Jack's place during the rally.

Regarding our trip... five weeks... just under 5,000 miles and both the truck & trailer... "The Big Easy" ran GREAT Gas Mileage: 14 mpg (Can Gal). Would be less... US Gal... Average Travel Speed: Took "Few" prisoners..., but avoided "Smokey"

Travel Safe,
Larry
Stargeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 08:47 AM   #16

Made it to Seligman, Az last night after a 9 hour day. Total 2200 miles in 3.5 days. Trailer and truck operating flawlessly. The Flagstaff Pass is 7000 feet and both the highway and trains use the same pass.
Our cg is right next to the BNSF mainline and we fell asleep to the sounds of the trains. The stars at night were uinbelievable and was only outdone by the magnificent sunrise . We are 450 miles from Los Angeles, Ca but we now are heding northwest up the California central San Jaquuin Valley. The only issue we have run into is the cold weather and my typing on this minikeyboard. When I get back home I will see about new glasses,
The refer , due to the weather has been fine on #4 and propane, with turning back to #3 on electric. My mileage improved to 13.5 mpg for the entire trip. I admit I was going 70 to 75 mph which was the limit earlier in this trip but slowed to 65 yesterday and saw a dramatic increase in mpg from previous 12 to 15 mpg, thus bring the overall average up also.
Old 05-22-2015, 09:32 AM   #17

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
1100 miles in one stint, I'm impressed, it'd take me 3 days.
We'd rather do it in 6-8 days, 300ish miles per day and stop for 2 nights. Though this method makes a trip to the PNW rather daunting.
D&R_SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 11:36 AM   #18

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Made it to Seligman, Az last night . We are 450 miles from Los Angeles, Ca but we now are heding northwest up the California central San Jaquuin Valley.
Well, you're well past tornado alley now, so that worked well for you. I get tired just seeing your daily miles average.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 11:48 AM   #19

Trailer: 2012 Escape "Classic" 5.0 SA
Is this a race?

Barry

2012 Escape "Classic" 5.0 SA / 2017 F150, 2.7 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercab
Former trailers: 2005 Escape 17B / 1972 Boler 13'
barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 12:13 PM   #20

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
With all those miles per day, there is not much time for stopping. I wonder if Jim has the capability of changing his tires on the fly? Maybe something like these guys? https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=MQm5BnhTBEQ

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote