Blogging our way out west - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2014, 02:54 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
Blogging our way out west

So four more days and we FINALLY will start the trek out west. Work/Life/Kids happened and it is 10 days later than we planned to leave, which means we had to cancel Osoyoos.Some people could probably have gotten to Chilliwack in 5 days for our original June 2 orientation, but not us. We'll be picking up the trailer on June 11.

Anyway, I've started a blog -- http://ruthmatilskyworld.wordpress.com and if you're interested you can follow our trip. After Chilliwack we're heading for Banff, Yoho, Kootenay and Glacier in Montana. We'll stay in Montana awhile and then figure out our way back east.

We are really sorry to miss the opportunity to meet so many of you who have helped us with our decision making. We didn't always take your advice but it sure was helpful. There were so many things we never would have known about if it weren't for the forum.
Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 03:30 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna
Happy and safe travels.
Old 05-25-2014, 07:25 PM   #3

Trailer: 2012 Escape 15 A
But you will still have a wonderful trip , are you still planning a stop in Radium ? We will be there between June 10thand 17th .
Old 05-25-2014, 07:44 PM   #4

I had to think a minute. We will be getting there about a week later. We're staying in Redstreak Campground in Kootenay.
Old 05-25-2014, 07:51 PM   #5

Trailer: 2012 Escape 15 A
We will be at the Redstreak as well ....between the 10th and 17th...in F or H..... sounds like you'll arrive after we leave .
Old 05-25-2014, 07:59 PM   #6

Too bad -- I think we get there around the 26th.
Old 06-26-2015, 12:48 PM   #7

We're blogging our way out west again and you can read the details at https://ruthmatilskyworld.wordpress.com/

Donna, we got an electric fan this summer and it is helping with the mosquitoes. You had suggested that last year.

It was so much easier to leave the east coast and already have our trailer!!! I could load it at my leisure and really think about what we needed and where it should go. But, of course, there are always going to be things that we could have left home. Last year I froze so this time I packed extra blankets and so far haven't needed them at all. Maybe in Yellowstone they'll be useful.
Old 06-26-2015, 12:55 PM   #8

Trailer: 2015 17B "Tody"
Great blog! Love the pictures particularly.
Old 06-26-2015, 01:52 PM   #9

Thanks -- Best is yet to come.
Old 06-26-2015, 03:06 PM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
Ruthe,

I think you are wise to try the two night minimum stay rule. On our recent voyage, our biggest regret was that we couldn't spend more nights in many of the places we stayed, particularly the public campgrounds (BLM/ACE/NPS). Tbanks for posting the blog.
LeonW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 07:45 PM   #11

Trailer: 2015 escape 19
I love your blog! So many must see places in your pictures. Please tell me you are planning a trip to Alaska with your trailer. That is my dream trip and I could get some great planning ideas if you blogged about it.
LDRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 10:36 PM   #12

Leon, I can't believe what we used to do when we stayed one night in a place. We'd pull in, have dinner, do laundry and the next morning go shopping before we set out for the next campsite. Sometimes we'd do the chores during the lunch stop. But I'm still sorry we can't stay longer in some of these spots. We were talking the other day about maybe taking a year and going around the whole country. But then I think I'd miss our grandkids.
Old 06-27-2015, 06:37 AM   #13

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
We're going to try Skype this fall for a couple months to stay in touch with the grandkids, will see if it is enough for Deb. Would love to do a longer trip too.
Old 06-27-2015, 12:23 PM   #14

Trailer: 2015 Esc 21. Formerly, Casita LD (16 & 17)
Thanks for the link(s) to your blog, Ruthe. We are now planning our mid-to-late September pickup, and I especially appreciate knowing about your experiences around Chilliwack.

I must say, too, I enjoyed the whole trip report, and look forward to new entries on this year's trip. Your writing is engaging! (And you and Terry have good eyes on the photographs, too.)
Old 06-27-2015, 03:59 PM   #15

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary F View Post
I must say, too, I enjoyed the whole trip report, and look forward to new entries on this year's trip. Your writing is engaging! (And you and Terry have good eyes on the photographs, too.)
I concur.
Old 06-27-2015, 11:55 PM   #16

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
Ruth - Love your blogs; however, they made me realize how much we are missing. We picked up our trailer a month after you and we are nowhere near close to matching your fabulous journeys. I think we need to stop feeling obliged to so many (family/friends/volunteer organization) and just GO (we' are retired for heavens sake). Enjoy your journeys and we'll be waiting to hear more. You are definitely my inspiration!

Jan

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 06:41 PM   #17

I appreciate the appreciation I am afraid there are no plans for Alaska -- if we ever go, it will be by boat -- I've heard too many stories about the mosquitoes! It was harder than usual to leave regular life behind -- it's a bit unusual to tell people that we can't be around for a few months because we're traveling, and there's always something we're sorry we're missing when we're on the road. As for the grandchildren, I think a year really would be too long unless our daughter and her husband were able to meet us somewhere and camp. But we aren't ready to do that yet anyway.

I'm writing from Sheridan Wyoming and we're plotting a way to deal with the upcoming fourth of July weekend -- always a challenge when we don't have reservations.
Old 06-29-2015, 07:14 PM   #18

One more thing. We just spent two nigts in the Badlands without electricity and it is HOT there. We were happy to find out that if we pulled the blinds on the sunny windows and ran the maxi fan, the Escape stayed pleasant enough so that we could nap. It helped that we took showers (in my case an icy shower because the hot water in the campground facilities wasn't working). This was a big relief because the only other way to stay cool was to drive in the car all day or go to the visitor center. Also, knock on wood, the refrigerator kept things cold enough. I won't say icy cold, but cold enough. We paid extra for the "Texas Fan" and we honestly don't even know if it ever goes on or off but so far so good.
Old 06-29-2015, 11:54 PM   #19

Trailer: 5.0TA Nov '14
Ruthe...Speaking about the 4th you might look into a desktop app OvernightRVParking.com...it's helped me find several nights free safe overnight camping by location as I'm relocating and moving from spot to spot...it was $24.95/year but in the few weeks I've had it it's paid for itself. One nice perk is you can validate a listing and that essentially extends your subscription. If you decide to try it out you can name me as a referral source (j.hardie@me.com Jack Hardie) and they extend the subscription even further...it's a great service and I'm not getting paid to say it. Enjoy your trip!
Old 07-06-2015, 03:08 PM   #20

I just posted to the blog https://ruthmatilskyworld.wordpress.com/

We decided to spend the Fourth of July in the Grand Tetons. Pulled in at 5 or 6 P.M. and had no trouble getting a site in Colter Bay. In fact the whole fourth of jULY weekend there were plenty of sites. I'm behind on the blog because we've had very little internet time, so I won't be posting about the Tetons just yet.

Someone emailed and asked me where we stayed in Sioux Falls -- so in case anyone else is interested -- we camped in the Lyon FAirgrounds -- were very satisfied with it -- full hookups and internet, $25/night, a nice host, reasonable amount of room (the host put one site in between each trailer) and close to the Falls, and the rest of the city. If you go, approach it from the southern entrance.