CA to Chilliwack to CA My 19 trip - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 06-27-2014, 03:31 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
CA to Chilliwack to CA My 19 trip

Left Friday June 20th and it has been a whirlwind week. I finally have my Escape 19 and have spend 3 days and nights in her and I can say it's wonderful. I love my Casita, but this is a move up in just about all aspects. I couldn't be much happier.

It's sooooo nice to sleep on a true queen mattress and wake up well rested. The first night I slept a total of 10 hours after the 3 day trip to Chilliwack. The older I get, the more I appreciate a good bed.

Spend the first 2 nights at the 1000 trails campsite in Lake Cultus and was impressed. Met a nice couple in an Escape 15 and the loved it. On the 2nd of three nights in Bridal Falls, near Chilliwack. Then back to the US and head home. Spending a couple nights in Washington and Oregon. Beautiful states. Residents should be proud. You can keep the mosquitoes though.

We'll be at the Oregon gathering in July, which will be the next rally in our schedule. Looking forward to seeing all the new Escapes and the proud and happy owners.

I've attached some pics from the first week. Internet access is spotty and the speed can be slow, so I'll post when I can.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1503.jpg   DSCN0198.jpg   IMG_1504.jpg   IMG_1508.jpg  

Mark
Blizzy and Dakota (Da Boyz)
MarksAlot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 03:33 PM   #2

3rd pic was straight on my computer. Just like my life, just a bit sideways.

Mark
Old 06-27-2014, 04:13 PM   #3

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarksAlot View Post
3rd pic was straight on my computer. Just like my life, just a bit sideways.
I am glad you are enjoying your new 19. I noticed you have some sort of dog pen setup under the awning. Can your dog(s) get under the trailer or step?
Old 06-27-2014, 04:47 PM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Congratulations! It looks great.
rbryan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 08:09 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrn56 View Post
I am glad you are enjoying your new 19. I noticed you have some sort of dog pen setup under the awning. Can your dog(s) get under the trailer or step?
I usually put one of the plastic tub/containers to block that area under the stairs. I'm on my way back home and once there, I plan to customize a better circle fence. There's many ways to setup the pet fence. I'm still experimenting with several.

I'll be doing a bunch of mods and tweaking. I hope to get much of it done before the Oregon gathering. A lot of Escapes will be there and I'm sure I'll get a lot of ideas for mine. Usually becomes information overload and too much of it you forget, but it's fun modifying your Escape.

Mark
Old 06-27-2014, 10:13 PM   #6
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Make your trailer YOURS! Get ideas, gleen information, but when you travel it's what makes the experience special.

Coming to the Oregon Gathering? Bring a notebook (and pencil) and a CAMERA. These all molded towables are more alike than different. You may find a Scamp owners solution works perfectly for your needs as an Escape owner.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 02:18 AM   #7

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
Love to hear how the dog fence works out. Worried my dog will exit under the trailer. Going to buy some kind of fence ing system for him when I get my trailer he's about 40pds and a bit of an escape artist
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 09:12 AM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
Not sure if your dog would like being on a leash, but one of the things we had Reace do on the Lark was to weld a small loop on the back of the frame where we an attach a long rope that prevents Murphy-the-Dog from escaping. It is useful, especially when we are setting up or taking down.
LeonW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 09:45 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Make your trailer YOURS! Get ideas, gleen information, but when you travel it's what makes the experience special.

Coming to the Oregon Gathering? Bring a notebook (and pencil) and a CAMERA. These all molded towables are more alike than different. You may find a Scamp owners solution works perfectly for your needs as an Escape owner.
I have many ideas. It's putting them into practice is the trick. I'm in no rush, so a little bit at a time. It's great being in Canada and enjoying the trip. Part of me wants to get back home and start personalizing my 19 right away. In time.....

Yes. I'll be at the Oregon gathering for the first time. Looking forward to it and meeting you. A big hug awaits.

Mark
Old 06-28-2014, 09:53 AM   #10

I've used the pet fence in various configurations. Sometimes next to my trailer, and sometimes by the door. Both of the boyz know where home is and don't wander far if at all. They're good boys. I also have 2 tethers, but haven't used them yet.

The mosquitoes here are bad, so we're not out much and when we are, it's a lot of Off and keep moving and doing the mosquito dance some.

Mark
Old 06-28-2014, 02:57 PM   #11

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonW View Post
Not sure if your dog would like being on a leash, but one of the things we had Reace do on the Lark was to weld a small loop on the back of the frame where we an attach a long rope that prevents Murphy-the-Dog from escaping. It is useful, especially when we are setting up or taking down.
I've done this with a motorhome, using the safety chain loop of the hitch on the back.

When I mentioned this in another forum I was accused of endangering the dog by risking driving away forgetting that he was attached. Since I'm not an idiot, I'm not concerned by this.

I wouldn't do this with the trailer, only because we have never had a dog small enough for this to work: I don't want the trailer jerked around by the dog pulling on the cable (and the motorhome is much bigger). And yes, that's cable... I have not found light chains as strong as cable, and our current dog would just chew a rope off (quickly).
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 03:02 PM   #12

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I repeat.
Last year my buddy tied his Brittany Spaniel to an awning arm by a 30' rope.
Dog spots bird. 'BIRD, BIRD BIRD' and runs full tilt until he was out of rope. Dog didn't suffer any damage, but the awning arm was bent and had to be straightened out before it could be closed.
Don't do that.
Old 06-28-2014, 03:17 PM   #13

It's hard when you want to go somewhere without your dogs and you need to make a decision on what to do. Depending on the dog, you can tie them out, but they may run into distraction issues. Most parks have some rules about leaving dogs unattended. I got chastised at a Malibu, CA park for leaving my dogs in the camper unattended. I wouldn't go camping without them though.

Mark
Old 06-28-2014, 03:29 PM   #14
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Last year at the Oregon Gathering, some fools left their dog in their trailer while they went out shopping or sight-seeing or something and it was for hours. That dang dog barked NON-STOP while they were gone. It was miserable for those camped near that particular trailer. I don't think most pet owners have any idea what their pets do when left alone, unless someone tells them. I think the couple that left their dog in the trailer got a real earful from their neighbors when they returned. Fortunately, they were NOT Oregon Gathering participants or they would have heard from me and I wasn't even camped in that loop. A barking dog really grates on my nerves...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 03:42 PM   #15

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Most of the time one of us will stay and the other will leave. If we both must go we either take the dogs with us or leave them in the trailer, closed up with the a/c on and tell a neighbor. If the power goes out, they will call mx and we will will go home. Never left them for more than 2-3 hours max in that scenario.
Old 06-28-2014, 03:57 PM   #16

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Last year my buddy tied his Brittany Spaniel to an awning arm by a 30' rope.
Dog spots bird. 'BIRD, BIRD BIRD' and runs full tilt until he was out of rope. Dog didn't suffer any damage, but the awning arm was bent...
Right - bumpers and hitches are much more appropriate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
... some fools left their dog in their trailer while they went out shopping or sight-seeing or something and it was for hours. That dang dog barked NON-STOP while they were gone...
Good point - the fact that an anchor point is secure doesn't mean the dog should be left unattended; however, even when the owner is present a fence, crate, or tie-out method is needed to have the dog outside... unless you want to hold a leash all the time.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 04:00 PM   #17

I've found that if you need to leave your dogs in your camper, they may feel some separation anxiety and bark. What works pretty well is what cpaharley2008 suggests, plus turning on some music, or TV so they don't hear what's outside. Closing the blinds/curtains so they can't see out helps too. I've considered a muzzle, but couldn't do it. A few hours max is all you can be away from your babies anyhow.

Note to self. Keep dogs quiet while at Bandon. : Sure don't want to grate on Donna's nerves.

Mark
Old 06-28-2014, 04:26 PM   #18

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
For outside securing, I use one of these Pet Tie-Down: Dog Care Accessories | Free Shipping at L.L.Bean
Old 06-28-2014, 04:33 PM   #19

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
On barking. That's why you should travel with cats.
You can put them in the microwave when you go out.
Old 06-28-2014, 04:36 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
On barking. That's why you should travel with cats.
You can put them in the microwave when you go out.
No no no Gbaglo, That's only after you have added soy sauce and a little duck sauce can you put them in the microwave.:}

Cypher

I rolled when I saw that had to join in :}
Cypherian is offline   Reply With Quote