California desert trip in February - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 02-16-2017, 11:54 PM   #11

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Hi Russ, yes that was/is us! And we noticed your Bambi in our walks through the campground. We love our spot right on the bluff. How cool it is for you that you get to camp here more often!

We have had the best time throughout this trip and will be sad to leave San Elijo tomorrow and start heading home. I'll followup with a trip report after we get back.

Jill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 10:55 PM   #12

I promised to follow up with a trip report so here goes.

Joshua Tree: We used the Black Rock Canyon campground as our base and would do this again. Nice views from the campground, great hiking trails accessible from the campground, and decent bathrooms with water (no showers). Joshua Tree is such a beautiful park. Our favorite hikes within the main part of the park were Hidden View and Jumbo Rocks.

Anza Borrego: We booked 5 nights here with hookups and didn't want to leave but were lucky enough to get one of the camp host sites for 2 nights over the weekend to extend our stay to 7 nights. Even most non-hookup sites are quite beautiful with views and cool palapas. Next time I would do 10 nights or even 2 weeks. Favorite hikes were the Oasis trail, The Slot, and the nature trails near Tamarisk Grove. Oh, and the Pictograph trail.

Everyone at both the above parks (rangers and campers included) were so happy and friendly. It was such a great escape from the real world to see everyone get along!

We didn't go to Idyllwild due to wintry conditions and skipped Julian for similar reasons. Next time we'll visit these places as day trips rather than plan to camp there.

San Elijo (San Diego): We stayed here our last 6 nights in a site right on the bluff. We didn't get around much here as we spent a lot of time visiting with our daughter and her friends. And of course there was that beautiful ocean full of surfers to watch!

What a great trip we had. We didn't get to a lot of the places we thought we would (ex. Red Rock Canyon, Idyllwild) but there's always next year right?

Old 02-25-2017, 09:51 PM   #13

Trailer: 2003 Scamp 16' SOLD , 2008 Airstream 19'
Hi Jill,
Glad you got back safe and sound from your fun trip. After looking at your itinerary I wondered if you were the people with an Escape that I briefly spoke to in Palm Canyon Anza Borrego. We were there in our Scamp pulled by a Jeep Wrangler on January 16 thru 19. That would be funny to run into you guys twice in a month.
Russ
ruscal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 06:27 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruscal View Post
Hi Jill,
Glad you got back safe and sound from your fun trip. After looking at your itinerary I wondered if you were the people with an Escape that I briefly spoke to in Palm Canyon Anza Borrego. We were there in our Scamp pulled by a Jeep Wrangler on January 16 thru 19. That would be funny to run into you guys twice in a month.
Russ
No, that wasn't us. We started our trip on Jan 30 You sure get around though! Look out for us next year if you're in the same area as we plan to repeat the trip around the same time.