Campground Host - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 02-19-2019, 05:03 PM   #21

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmalk View Post
Every time you go camping talk to the host. Each area has its own requirements and rewards. The host knows who to contact and the best approach to becoming a host.
--
Alan
That's just what we did at Glacier. When we asked a host there how to become one, he said "you put in your application and then wait for me to die"...and was only half joking. Glacier has a short summer season and many hosts come back year after year. In our case we got a prime hosting spot in a campground that had not had a host before because we had a small trailer - most of the other hosts had big fifth wheels or motorhomes that wouldn't fit! It was a small tents-only campground, very easy to manage, and our spot had a full hookup right on the edge of Lake McDonald. Tent campgrounds up north are wonderful if you're a host - the campers are out doing stuff all day, make dinner and then go to bed. The bigger RV campgrounds tend to have partying well into the night.
Old 02-19-2019, 05:57 PM   #22

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmurphy02 View Post
That's just what we did at Glacier. When we asked a host there how to become one, he said "you put in your application and then wait for me to die"...and was only half joking. Glacier has a short summer season and many hosts come back year after year. In our case we got a prime hosting spot in a campground that had not had a host before because we had a small trailer - most of the other hosts had big fifth wheels or motorhomes that wouldn't fit! It was a small tents-only campground, very easy to manage, and our spot had a full hookup right on the edge of Lake McDonald. Tent campgrounds up north are wonderful if you're a host - the campers are out doing stuff all day, make dinner and then go to bed. The bigger RV campgrounds tend to have partying well into the night.

You know David, we have our eye on that position. I'll offer you a couple of beers to keep it under your hat!

alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 06:05 PM   #23

Quote:
You know David, we have our eye on that position. I'll offer you a couple of beers to keep it under your hat!

Sprague Creek campground at Glacier is a lot like Chisos Basin, mostly tent campers and not very large - you would love it. My lips are sealed...
Old 02-27-2019, 01:12 PM   #24
Djs

Trailer: 2017 escape 17b
Why campground host? You usually have to work 20 hours a week.at 8 dollars an youre paying 640 a month for that full hookup. Get some solar panels and a generator and boondock on national forest, blm land or army corps for free.
I have done work camping and boondock and boondock is the way to go. Have been full timer in my rig for three years. Work camped the first year and haven't paid to camp anywhere in the last two.
Google dispersed camping
Djs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 01:18 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djs View Post
Why campground host? You usually have to work 20 hours a week.at 8 dollars an youre paying 640 a month for that full hookup. Get some solar panels and a generator and boondock on national forest, blm land or army corps for free.
I have done work camping and boondock and boondock is the way to go. Google dispersed camping
I really enjoyed the social aspect of hosting in a national park, helping other campers get the most out of their visit. We kept a photo book of all the hikes we had done and would show it to visitors when they were asking about which hikes to do. We met some really interesting people from all over - the national parks get a lot of international visitors as well. I considered it volunteering, not work camping.

We enjoy boondocking as well, after being a campground host for several months being able to go enjoy a remote place away from the crowds was really nice too.
Old 02-27-2019, 02:52 PM   #26

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Why campground host? You usually have to work 20 hours a week.at 8 dollars an youre paying 640 a month for that full hookup. ...
1. Its a volunteer position. The rewards can't really be quantified but we could write a book.

2. The $640/mo site is free, includes propane. No pay, so money doesn't change hands.

3. We stay months at a time and get to explore areas that the general public never sees.

--
Alan
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 03:15 PM   #27

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA!
Quote:
1. Its a volunteer position. The rewards can't really be quantified but we could write a book.

2. The $640/mo site is free, includes propane. No pay, so money doesn't change hands.

3. We stay months at a time and get to explore areas that the general public never sees.

--
Alan
You probably also get to find out about the secret boondock places in the area and other parks as well!
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 11:02 AM   #28
Djs

Arrow

Yes some folks love the campground host gig. I think I may have encountered a few poor examples. I'm probably not the most social person and that also might have affected my job satisfaction.
One thing I do enjoy is the freedom to go anywhere I want at a moment's notice, and. My time is completely my own. This is the third winter I have lived outside Santa Fe on BLM and national forest land and I love it. Have never paid a dime. And I camp in gorgeous locations. I do enjoy helping people and I act as somewhat of a campground host for other boon Dockers..pulling people out of the mud, helping with minor repairs etc. But all entirely at my discretion. In the coldest months I head down to elephant butte in southern New mexico, quartzsite az or lake havasu for a few weeks.

If you DO decide to go the boondocking route, consider a small rig. I had a 30 foot fifth wheel and knocked the heck out of both my trailer and my truck on rough roads was always in trouble and dumping/ moving was a big production. One day I sat down and took an inventory. Of the space my dog and I actually use and discovered that a 17b was perfect for us. Have lived in it for a year now and still love it. I met a lady and we are considering traveling together and if we do we will probably get a 21 foot. It is the unnecessary STUFF that takes up all the room. Get rid of it life will b e simple easier and you will be much happier.
Old 02-28-2019, 11:05 AM   #29

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Djs, you may want to upgrade your avatar to show your current trailer, thanks.
Old 02-28-2019, 11:38 AM   #30
Djs

thanks Jim
I'll see if I can figure it out
Dennis
Old 02-28-2019, 12:02 PM   #31

BTW, Where is Siepierski ? Pretty soon we may have enough for our own mini rally?
Old 02-28-2019, 12:14 PM   #32

Trailer: 2014 5.0TA "The HAB"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farther View Post
I see this thread has wondered some. Any additional information on being a camp host is appreciated?
After working for state parks for 27 years, I can tell you that the volunteer host/worker programs are integral in a park these days with govt budgets stretched to the max. I personally constructed several sites at parks I was manager of JUST to attract the live in park volunteers. Of course, they all go away in TX in April or so and don't return until October, but the months they are there I would receive more compliments on the facilities when they were taking care of them. Talk to a few park managers/asst managers at parks around you and get their take as well. Heck, I've got some former volunteers coming to my place here to stay next week at the RV site I built here. A lot of my former hosts are now great friends I see every year, and the plus is that THEY live in cooler areas in the summer when I'm visiting THEM....
Tford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 01:31 PM   #33
Djs

I'm sure you are a good manager who treats volunteer and paid help well. I wasn't so lucky.
Old 02-28-2019, 01:45 PM   #34

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for more Maiden Voyages ....
Congratulations Djs on your Lady Friend find! Best of luck.
Tom
Old 02-28-2019, 02:12 PM   #35
Djs

Thanks Tom!
She hard her heart set on an airstream..hopefully can steer her in a more sensible direction like the escape 21. My 17b has treated me very well.
Old 02-28-2019, 02:20 PM   #36
Djs

I was in santa fe until about a week ago. Cam back to Northwestern pa a little early this year. Where are. You?
Old 02-28-2019, 02:31 PM   #37

Quote:
I was in santa fe until about a week ago. Cam back to Northwestern pa a little early this year. Where are. You?
York, you up by Erie?
Old 02-28-2019, 03:27 PM   #38

Trailer: 2014 5.0TA "The HAB"
Quote:
I'm sure you are a good manager who treats volunteer and paid help well. I wasn't so lucky.
I hope I was! I did ask a couple hosts to leave when they got a little full of themselves and tried to do a little over the top rules enforcement themselves instead of seeking out staff help, but they were folks who let the title and site go to their heads.
Tford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 04:03 PM   #39

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
With my night and weekend guys when I was in the municipal parks systems I always called this the John Wayne syndrome. I only had one camp host and he was pretty good and at another camping operation we had an on site employee and he had good rapport with his staff and the campers. So I was lucky. A very high percentage of camp hosts have been very friendly to us. One guy in Montana was looking at the 19 and asked what they cost. I told him and he said that’s a lot of money but you Canadians are all rich. He was looking at the Made in British Columbia decal just above the lowa license plate? I said “I’m not Canadian but I am rich. He did not know what to say. Rita asked later why I said I was rich. I told her I got a million friends and a million memories and a million dollar wife. Drove about 180 miles before we had another argument. Good Day!
Iowa Dave
Old 02-28-2019, 05:38 PM   #40

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
Happy wife Happy life n HAPPY TUMMY
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote