Campground on the Portland, OR, transit sytem? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 09-13-2017, 11:28 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21--FOR SALE
Campground on the Portland, OR, transit sytem?

Is there a campground, public or private, on Portland's transit system?

We stayed at Champoeg State Park a few years ago, but that required a drive to, I believe, Wilsonville to catch the LRT.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Attached Thumbnails
portlandia_dvd_release2.jpg  
Old 09-14-2017, 10:41 AM   #2

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Columbia River RV park is on the bus line which can take you to the rail system. It is clean, safe, but not cheap ($40/night $36 AAA & Good Sam). We stay there whenever we go to Portland to visit relatives. Cleanest bathrooms you will ever find. The West entrance has a bus stop just outside of it. Look at it on Google Earth.
AKCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 11:02 AM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKCamper View Post
Columbia River RV park is on the bus line which can take you to the rail system. It is clean, safe, but not cheap ($40/night $36 AAA & Good Sam). We stay there whenever we go to Portland to visit relatives. Cleanest bathrooms you will ever find. The West entrance has a bus stop just outside of it. Look at it on Google Earth.
Here's a direct link: http://www.columbiariverrv.com/
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 03:16 PM   #4

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKCamper View Post
From their website: "RV's older than 15 years must be pre-approved for nightly/weekly stays, RV's older than 10 years are not allowed for monthly reservations.

Interesting rule...
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 03:42 PM   #5

Trailer: 21' Escape Trailer (June 2018)
Roamers Rest RV park in Tigard might be a possibility. It is close to Portland and situated near a bus stop. It is not cheap, but does offer weekly and monthly rates. We haven't stayed there for a few years, but found it to be an OK urban camping experience. Restaurants and stores are nearby, also.
Bob in Bend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 07:15 PM   #6
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Stub Stewart State Park actually has a bus stop at the Visitors Center, but it's almost an hour ride into Portland. The Park and Ride is free parking:

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Port...47!2d45.737804

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 07:24 PM   #7
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
There's also Jantzen Beach RV. Which is along the Columbia River too. The Max light rail runs out there: Jantzen Beach RV Park
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 09:52 PM   #8

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
There's also Jantzen Beach RV. Which is along the Columbia River too. The Max light rail runs out there: Jantzen Beach RV Park
We stayed there last year. If you can't get into Columbia River RV Park then I would go there, but there seemed to be too many homeless people wandering through the park. Sneaking in the restrooms and the like. I would not leave a bike unlocked there (no fences). We didn't find any of that at Columbia RV. Better shopping at Jantzen, but that seem to be the only advantage.
AKCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 10:07 PM   #9

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19'
There is a 40 site public campground at the confluence of the Willamette and Clackamas Rivers in Oregon City. $25 to $30 a night first come first served basis, utilities, and dump station. It's called Clackamette Park. I think it's a short bus ride or drive to the Max Orange Line light rail which goes to downtown Portland.
DMPortland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 09:26 PM   #10

Thanks for the suggestions!

The Columbia River RV Park has worked out very well for us, and Uber made it so we didn't have to unhitch and take the truck into downtown Portland and park it there.

An Uber trip to the Expo station at the north end of the Yellow Line of Portland's LRT costs just under $10 and had us there in less than 15 minutes. The other day we took Uber straight to the Japanese and Rose Gardens for about $20.

The washrooms are indeed spotless at the park, and the sites are typical for an urban campground. It's pretty quiet except for the jets taking off from nearby PDX early in the morning. It didn't bother us, but a light sleeper might find it bothersome.

I'm sure the other options suggested would have worked, too, but this one was very convenient. We'll also be able to get onto I-5 headed north in minutes in the morning. Thanks, everyone!

Note: we like to get some exercise after a day of towing, but there didn't seem to be many options for walking or biking around Columbia River RV Park. But we took off anyway along the river to the west and found some easy walking on pavement and trails past about a mile of marinas and houseboats all the way to the I-5 bridge. We had nice conversations with a few locals, most of whom were out walking their dogs. It would be a nice route for a short bike ride, too.
Attached Thumbnails
japanese-garden.jpg  
Old 09-26-2017, 10:30 PM   #11

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMPortland View Post
There is a 40 site public campground at the confluence of the Willamette and Clackamas Rivers in Oregon City. $25 to $30 a night first come first served basis, utilities, and dump station. It's called Clackamette Park. I think it's a short bus ride or drive to the Max Orange Line light rail which goes to downtown Portland.
I've stayed at this park twice and I like it. I didn't mention it earlier because I was unsure of its access to public transportation.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 10:59 PM   #12

Mike, I should have mentioned that direct access to transit from Columbia River RV Park requires a .9 mile walk to Bus Stop #6.

The more convenient options are to take Uber to the light rail line, or drive over to the LRT and use the Park and Ride.

My favourite aspect of the Portland transit experience is that because of my advanced years I'm classified as an "honored citizen" and get a substantial discount. Made my day!

https://trimet.org/fares/honoredcitizen.htm