Campground suggestions in Washington State - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 04-22-2015, 01:19 PM   #21

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
While I understand the desire to make the parks pay for themselves rather than hitting up the tax base in Washington, they do seem to be the most expensive state parks (with the possible exception of California - $35.00 for a dry site at Burney Falls plus $.50 for a 5 minute shower) I've stayed in. Using lottery money for the Oregon parks helps keep the cost down, however they have dropped their "Discovery Season" which provided off season savings...

I also suggest checking out Washington's County Parks. I stayed at Wenatchee River County Park on the way to Osoyoos - $25.00 per night for water & electric. A very pleasant park just a couple of miles from the Wenatchee Confluence State Park, which would have charged me $45.00 for the same type of site.
Old 04-22-2015, 01:31 PM   #22

Trailer: Escape 21 'Toto'
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenB View Post
Am trying to get our reservations together for late June when we pick up our 19, since we'll be camping over the 4th of July and just paid $58 for a night at Grayland beach state park, which is $48 plus a $10 fee for each additional vehicle, the tow being an additional vehicle.....crazy.....Karen
We stayed at Grayland recently (and three other WA state parks) and have never had to pay extra for our tug. Tow vehicle not = "extra vehicle." The State Parks website should be clearer about this.
Old 04-22-2015, 01:54 PM   #23

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
Quote:
Originally Posted by drpaddle View Post
We stayed at Grayland recently (and three other WA state parks) and have never had to pay extra for our tug. Tow vehicle not = "extra vehicle." The State Parks website should be clearer about this.
Ditto... Was just at Grayland last week. Charge is for EXTRA vehicle.
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 02:21 PM   #24
grc

Trailer: Four Wheel Camper
I do agree the Washington State Parks prices are too high, plus the maintenance on some parks is a big issue.

Per their website the $10. extra vehicle charge is applied to two vehicles parked at a campsite (unless it is towed by an RV). Extra vehicles can be parked at a campsite if approved in advance by a ranger.

Other Fees | Washington State Parks and Recreation Commission
grc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 08:33 PM   #25

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (May 2015)
Send a message via Skype™ to HappyCampers
Thanks everyone for the comments and suggestions. First of all, our apologies, we went back into the site today and found that high price we found was for 2 nights. We did reserve for May 14th and 15th, total price was $78 with the reservation fees, by far the most we have spent on campsites. For 20 years we have had truck campers and only reserved ahead once in all that time, as we could fit in most anywhere. I guess we have some learning to do now that we will have a longer unit and will need to be pickier about campsites.
Old 04-22-2015, 09:35 PM   #26

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Texas state parks are also expensive, same as Washington state, from what we paid.

In Washington, Maple Falls, how about Silver Lake Park? It is Whatcom County CGs so must cost less. Anyone stayed there?
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 10:13 PM   #27

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Silver Lake Park is very nice. I haven't stayed there but have visited many, many times when others are camping.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 10:24 PM   #28

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
[QUOTE=Floating Cloud;90595]Texas state parks are also expensive, same as Washington state, from what we paid.
/QUOTE]

Ah, but one of the things I like about Texas is the generous rest area policies, not only at highway rest areas but at other state sites such as picnic areas. We've stayed at some that were nicer than paid ones in other states. No utilities but did I mention free When you're just looking to stop after a day of driving, want to have supper and overnight and then move on in the morning they're great.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 11:29 PM   #29

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
While I understand the desire to make the parks pay for themselves rather than hitting up the tax base in Washington, they do seem to be the most expensive state parks (with the possible exception of California - $35.00 for a dry site at Burney Falls plus $.50 for a 5 minute shower) I've stayed in. Using lottery money for the Oregon parks helps keep the cost down, however they have dropped their "Discovery Season" which provided off season savings...

I also suggest checking out Washington's County Parks. I stayed at Wenatchee River County Park on the way to Osoyoos - $25.00 per night for water & electric. A very pleasant park just a couple of miles from the Wenatchee Confluence State Park, which would have charged me $45.00 for the same type of site.
Hi Jon- my son loves the 3W Wilson amp you sent, thanks again.

I think you have hit on an important item- which is to search County Parks. We've recently been doing so and have found a big selection of parks you just don't see on most maps.

At Silver Lake in the Plumas Wilderness area near Quincy (Nat'l Forest). What a great place...Quincy out there but way worth it!
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 12:13 PM   #30

Trailer: 2015 19 foot
I don't see the difference between expecting the state parks to pay for themselves and expecting the private parks to make a profit. If I have the choice, I will stay in a public park where the sites are larger and generally more enjoyable to be in than in a commercial park. When we pick up our trailer in May, we will spend the first night in Larrabee State Park rather than in one of the (crowded) commercial parks in the Bellingham area. As a non-WA resident, the night will cost $53 which is in the same range as the commercial parks in the area.
bdornbush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 10:08 PM   #31

Trailer: 2013 19'
Regardless of cost, we have stayed at Confluence State Park in Wenatachee and it is a nice park. As an aside.....if you are a disabled veteran (regardless of State of Residence) Washington will give you a disabled veteran's permit and your stay at any Washington State Park is free. Oregon also has the same program.
sokol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 10:41 AM   #32

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by grc View Post
I do agree the Washington State Parks prices are too high, plus the maintenance on some parks is a big issue.

Per their website the $10. extra vehicle charge is applied to two vehicles parked at a campsite (unless it is towed by an RV). Extra vehicles can be parked at a campsite if approved in advance by a ranger.

Other Fees | Washington State Parks and Recreation Commission
Its not the cost that bothered me at several campgrounds but the racket made by grounds crews. At Rasar SP some guy was riding a big machine all over the place sucking up leaves. Once in the morning and then later in the day. It was pretty ridiculous and havent seen that type of thing really elsewhere except at Pinnacles where a guy was using a gas blower needlessly as well. Makes me think this is "make work" activity which can drive up expenses. The ranger at Rasar did agree with me that the noise in the park detracted from the visitor experience and was going to have a sensitivity seminar for that operator
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 08:09 PM   #33

Trailer: 2006 8.5' Alaskan. 2008 Scamp 16. 2015 Escape 21
I recently purchased a copy of Pacific Northwest Camping Destinations by Mike and Terri Church from Amazon and have been looking it over this weekend. It covers Oregon, Washington, and British Columbia and has a lot of useful information about campgrounds. I think it would be a good reference for those planning a trip to Chilliwack.

Eric
Ditchrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 11:25 PM   #34

Trailer: 2014 17B "Tamago", 2019 GMC Canyon Denali Duramax Diesel
We just booked at the Washington Park campground in Anacortes for the Victoria Day weekend. It is quite rustic and hidden away, yet nice. Price is right, too! US$25/night. Some sites are reservable, others on a first come, first served basis.
PS: The farmers' market in Anacortes on Saturday is pretty good, too!
Tworainy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 08:23 AM   #35

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
A beautiful park. One of my favorite photos of my trailer is site C18:
Attached Thumbnails
ASC_5698.jpg