Campgrounds ad - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 06-15-2016, 10:35 AM   #1

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Campgrounds ad

Doesn't inspire confidence when the title on this ad calls the Province of British Columbia a State.
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2016-06-15 at 8.21.29 AM.png  
Old 06-15-2016, 10:52 AM   #2

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Glenn,I googled them up and sent them a gentle message. They'll probably have it all fixed in a few minutes. Hope things are going well. We're hot down here and wet too. To paraphrase Adrian Cronauer in Good Morning, VietNam " That's good if you're on a date but not so good if you're trying to get some work done.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 07:47 PM   #3

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Not fixed yet, here's what I see right now...well the copy paste didn't work, but the green section says "Manitoba State Campgrounds."

Adrian
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 07:47 AM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
State of Ontario Campgrounds!!!

Hi: All... Is Canada the 52nd. State?
Read some of the reviews for the Riverside Park Motel & Campground near Niagara Falls Ontario. Most all seem to think it rates good to excellent. I personally think they treat us very well. Looking forward to another Niagara Wine Escape there in mid September. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 08:00 AM   #5
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by emers382 View Post
Not fixed yet, here's what I see right now...well the copy paste didn't work, but the green section says "Manitoba State Campgrounds."

Adrian
I don't see what you see because I'm in Oregon. Cookies must be tracking my location. The campground report is owned by RV Park Reviews, they'll need to fix it. Nothing we can do about it here. I did notice they mean the State of Oregon campgrounds, which is different than Oregon State Parks campgrounds because it includes privately owned campgrounds.
Attached Thumbnails
Campground.JPG  
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 03:22 PM   #6

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
This feature just takes the name of the user's current region (presumably as determined by IP address, but it could use EscapeForum data) and puts "State Campgrounds" on the end of it. Donna explained how that makes it incorrect for Oregon, and of course all of us in regions which are provinces (not states) have noticed how that makes is wrong everywhere in Canada. All they need to do is remove "State "; that just means hitting the delete key six times in the right part of the code.

This sort of thing results from a poor analysis of the requirements of the system, or someone not closely following those requirements, and is very common. The rest of RV Park Reviews actually looks quite good to me: clear and functional.

The fix is trivial, but with a queue of work to do, a cycle of testing and deployment between the change and its appearance on the public web site, and a possible lack of priority, this takes time. It could easily involve a multi-lingual discussion across a dozen time zones with a support team working for another company, multiple approvals, multiple change-tracking and reporting systems, and consultation regarding a contract! I wouldn't hold my breath... and maybe this is just me but I wouldn't expect it to ever be fixed. I reported an error in a link within a manufacturer's website (not Escape, not even an RV) a few days ago and the response was immediate - they understand the error, understand how it occurred, and are fixing it. The error gives potential customers entirely the wrong specifications for one of their products. That's a real problem and an unusually good response, but three days after that response, it's not fixed. That's just how these things go.

This isn't part of the Escape Forum, but it is part of Social Knowledge, which is why it is featured in the EscapeForum site.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 03:51 PM   #7

No matter to me, but when I find errors ( and that includes grammar and spelling ) on any site, I question the content.
Old 06-16-2016, 03:58 PM   #8
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
No matter to me, but when I find errors ( and that includes grammar and spelling ) on any site, I question the content.
Careful folks, Glenn will question what you write because I see lots of stuff that fits this category.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 04:05 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I agree - it brings into question the knowledge and standards of the site creator. Of course, it's only a hint: the site can still be of substantial value.
Old 06-16-2016, 04:17 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Careful folks, Glenn will question what you write because I see lots of stuff that fits this category.
I'd appreciate it if members take a moment to read what they wrote prior to posting ( including me ). Often it's typos, but sometimes posts are incomprehensible. ( on edit, that's probably not a sentence ).

I'm waiting for somebody to take this one apart.
Old 06-16-2016, 04:22 PM   #11

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Where o where is my dictionary.......
Marry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 05:08 PM   #12

Trailer: 2015 17b "Shelly"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marry View Post
Where o where is my dictionary.......
Maybe we should all sign up for spelling and grammar courses
Old 06-16-2016, 05:43 PM   #13

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I don't see what you see because I'm in Oregon... I did notice they mean the State of Oregon campgrounds, which is different than Oregon State Parks campgrounds because it includes privately owned campgrounds.
I don't see Oregon State Parks Campgrounds in your screen capture, just Oregon State Campgrounds. I guess I'm used to that phrasing so wouldn't think anything odd about it. As I live in Washington, my state is quite often referred to as Washington State to distinguish it from the other Washington.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 08:21 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenH View Post
I don't see Oregon State Parks Campgrounds in your screen capture, just Oregon State Campgrounds. I guess I'm used to that phrasing so wouldn't think anything odd about it. As I live in Washington, my state is quite often referred to as Washington State to distinguish it from the other Washington.
Right - it always says the region ("Oregon" in Donna's case) then "State Campgrounds". Donna was just explaining that campgrounds in the state is a different thing from campgrounds owned and operated by the state.

The thing that's noticeably odd is not unnecessarily including "State" after the name of a state, it's putting "State" after the name of a province, but Donna has identified another way in which it is not great phrasing.

This is the sort of confusion when someone puts together a title without thinking very much. There's no special treatment of Washington, or other region. Like I said before, just leave out "State" and it all gets better...
Old 06-16-2016, 10:02 PM   #15

Trailer: 2015 Esc 21. Formerly, Casita LD (16 & 17)
Listing commercial campgrounds as "Texas State Campgrounds" is false advertising, and as such makes me inclined to want to avoid them. I realize it's not the campgrounds' fault that the aggregator is listing them in a misleading way, but I'm cranky like that.
Old 06-16-2016, 10:20 PM   #16

Not sure why they would include the word "state".
Texas Campgrounds, or British Columbia Campgrounds is a more accurate description, using fewer pixels.
Old 06-26-2016, 10:37 PM   #17

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
I noticed that the side advertisement for campgrounds no longer has the word "State" following the U.S. state, i.e., mine is now Washington Campgrounds, not Washington State Campgrounds. Now, heaven forbid, I'm going to confuse my state with D.C.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 12:03 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenH View Post
I noticed that the side advertisement for campgrounds no longer has the word "State" following the U.S. state, i.e., mine is now Washington Campgrounds, not Washington State Campgrounds.
I hadn't noticed that - it is indeed fixed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
They'll probably have it all fixed in a few minutes.
Well, a couple of weeks, but that's still much faster than I expected.