Camping in Utah in July - Is this crazy? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 10-15-2013, 04:32 PM   #11

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Its crazy...but as a parent who camps you get used to crazy things. We camped in Utah in July, in our pop-up when my son was about 9 years old. We stayed at Arches NP, with no hookups. We used small fans to sleep.

But the real trick was to get up early and go on a short hike before it got to hot. Then drive in to Moab and use the town pool for the afternoon. (Showers too!) Then back to the park after the worst heat of the day.

Because we always prefer National Park / National Forest campgrounds over RV parks, we found municipal pools helpful in several locations. But now that I have a choice, I'll travel to the desert in the spring or fall.

Maybe schedule an overnight raft trip on the Colorado out of Moab as well. Nice family trip.

SeldomSeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 05:48 PM   #12

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by smilycook View Post
. If you go to Moab there is also the option of escaping the heat by going up into the LaSals and there are lots of great trails up there.

What is your biking ability?
We are setting plans to go there about this time next year. It will be my brother and me with our wives. He is a great rider, and I would classify myself as very good, and willing to try just about anything with the exception of big jumps and drops. My brother is just a youngster at 54, so I expect more out of him.

When the time gets closer we will be doing a lot more research, and making plans of where to go, so may contact you along with others to see what they liked best.

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 07:05 PM   #13

Trailer: Escape 5.0 SA
Just my opinion & experience so take it for what it is worth;
The Utah national & state parks are beautiful and enjoyable to visit. But not in July and August. It is a very rocky region with little shade and water in late summer. A lot of our national campgrounds have no power and have strict generator and pet rules. As posted, your vehicle/tires and your Dometic refrigerator will be challenged. Thankfully it is low humidity heat and it cools down some at night. Full brim hats, sunscreen, and plenty of water are important while hiking the trails. Start from the trailheads early and take possible afternoon thunderstorms/lighting serious. I recommend Dead Horse Point SP and Kodachrome SP as two great state parks.
daveandsandyclink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 07:32 PM   #14

Trailer: 2016 Tacoma Off Road, 2017 21
I spent a couple of days in the South campground at Zion in mid June, 2012 with temperatures in the high 90's. While a hike up the Virgin river was fun, sitting in or even outside the trailer without electrical hookups for the AC was not. I stuck it out for a couple of days, did a few hikes, but wimped out & headed to a commercial campground with electric to run the AC.

I suspect it will be worse in July. I second Dead Horse Point & Kodachrome, and will add a stop at Goblin Valley State Park.
Old 10-15-2013, 07:56 PM   #15

Trailer: not yet
There are campgrounds in northern Utah, near Heber, that are not so bad in July/August. Also check the Wasatch range. I've tent camped in those areas in late July/August a few times and it was quite pleasant.

Utah has a nice website for its campgrounds. Here's a link for the Heber area:
Heber Area Campgrounds | Utah.com

But these are Alpine mountian areas, not like the desert spots in the south. Lets just say I enjoyed early morning and early evening in those areas...and found someplace cool to hang out during the heat of the day.
LeonardS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 09:22 PM   #16

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17B
Dave, I have been logged out twice and lost my intended reply. Here it comes in two parts: Southern Utah is spectacular, maybe other-worldly. My experience has been VW pop-up and tent camping; as I recall, more spring and fall than summer. Still, given a choice of summer or not at all, I would choose summer. Higher altitude park campgrounds in Bryce (8000), Cedar Breaks (10,000), and maybe Dead Horse Point (6000) should be OK without AC. Zion and Arches have serviced RV parks near the entrances.
soultrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 09:30 PM   #17

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17B
Part 2: Hiking down into the Bryce formations is dramatic; either start early or late to moderate ascent temperatures, or plan for a full moon night (one of our most memorable adventures). Zion's hikes are mostly to higher vistas, facilitating an early and cooler climb, descending when it's hotter. For much of the awesome Zion Narrows hike you are wading in the Virgin River, so you can cool when you want. Sure there are nice Utah alpine campgrounds, but you have the best of that world to your west in Canada. Southern Utah is something else - even in the summer! Hope this helps...Glenn.
soultrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 10:55 PM   #18

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19 & 15B
Thanks for the great responses. I definitely want my trip to utah parks to be memorable for great views and fun activities rather than for unbearable conditions. Will have to put a little more thought into this before making a final decision, but right now am leaning more towards something a bit further north and saving a utah trip for a few years from now when shoulder season holidays become more practical for us.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 11:26 PM   #19

Trailer: None
If you have not been there, Yellowstone would be great for your family. Wonderful wildlife, fascinating geological features like geysers, mud pots, waterfalls and the travertine terraces. So much to see. I've been there in summer when the worst problem is the crowds of people. However, this too is manageable by doing early morning and late afternoon hikes and activities then maybe some kayaking on Yellowstone Lake in the early afternoons. RV campgrounds outside the Park itself will have swimming pools and other family fun activities as well.

Follow along Down the Road with Me.
Seamstress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 08:29 AM   #20

Trailer: Escape 5.0 SA
Dave,
Don't be discouraged by high temps. Travel the world while your kids are still around. Your family is likely to forgive you someday for taking them to southern Utah in July or August. Like Canada, campgrounds fill up with summer vacationers...so plan well.

daveandsandyclink is offline   Reply With Quote