Camping in Utah in July - Is this crazy? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 10-18-2013, 09:43 PM   #21

Trailer: 2016 21' Escape (usetaowna a 19, a Burro and 2 Casitas)
go for it!

Ann and I spent 2 weeks in early August wandering around southern Utah. Wonderful! Keep in mind that the elevations range from 4 to 5,000' above sea level. We found pleasant days and cool nights. A few warm days but all very bearable if you stay hydrated. We hiked in the mid-late morning and napped or visitor centers during the afternoon. Back out after dinner. We did 8 days in mid June a couple years ago. Same experience. Do it!

We met some Australian friends in St. George. They were stressed about the heat but we coaxed them into going to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon and Zion. They loved it and said the dry heat wasn't nearly as bad as they feared.

I recommend Canyonlands, Arches, Glenn Canyon, North Rim, and Capitol Reef. Speaking of Capitol Reef, summer isn't the high season so plan on camping at the Fruita Campground. No reservations but no sweat finding a great spot. Utah state parks are first class so consider some of them. We spent 3 nights at Kodachrome SP and loved it. We're not so hot on Bryce Canyon or Zion. Too crowded in summer and there are better places to go in the area.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1149.JPG   IMG_0196.JPG   IMG_0877.JPG   IMG_0392.JPG  
Greggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 09:07 AM   #22

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Arches is nice... maybe a little strange, though. Love the crazy way the colors can change in a minute.
Attached Thumbnails
Esc-ArchesG.jpg  
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 09:36 AM   #23

Trailer: "Teachers' Pet" our 2014 Escape 19
We visited that area last May-June. The only times we had trouble finding a site was at Capitol reef on Memorial Day weekend and at The Grand Canyon. We were steered to a NFS campground about six mile above nearby Torrey by the Capitol Reef ranger (a much nicer campground than the park). At the south rim of the Grand Canyon we got in early enough to secure a spot at the east side, Desert View. I guess campsites in the GC Village are reserved way ahead of time.

A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.
nealmccarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 10:51 AM   #24

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
I keep flip flopping about going to Utah in July-August. Does anyone know what the crowds are like in the Moab area and south of there at that time of year? Do you need to book a campsite well in advance, or is it easy enough to find good sites on a drive up basis? I am ok with unserviced sites on state parks or in the national parks. Without services, I am ok for the most part with solar, but would likely have to bring a generator along in case we need the a/c.

Fully serviced private campgrounds with all amenities (including pool) would be nice for my wife and daughter, but if the rv park is in town and crowds are packed in elbows to azzholes, I think that would be a bit of a turnoff for me.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 01:26 PM   #25

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I don't know if it gets better in July and August, but in early June, 2012 all electric sites at Dead Horse State Park were reserved, and it took 2 morning waits to get a non reservable site. Well worth it. Beautiful views and a good location for exploring the park and Canyonlands. Only electric - no water available, so you need to fill your tanks in Moab.

I had no trouble finding a commercial site in Moab, however the national park sites were booked solid. Don't overlook some of the other state parks. The kids, as well as the adults would enjoy walking through the "goblins" at Goblin Valley and Kodachrome Basin has some good hikes. Both have campgrounds. You can check out my visits to the areas in 2012 & 2011 at the site in my signature.
Old 11-16-2013, 01:46 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
I don't know if it gets better in July and August, but in early June, 2012 all electric sites at Dead Horse State Park were reserved, and it took 2 morning waits to get a non reservable site. Well worth it. Beautiful views and a good location for exploring the park and Canyonlands. Only electric - no water available, so you need to fill your tanks in Moab.

I had no trouble finding a commercial site in Moab, however the national park sites were booked solid. Don't overlook some of the other state parks. The kids, as well as the adults would enjoy walking through the "goblins" at Goblin Valley and Kodachrome Basin has some good hikes. Both have campgrounds. You can check out my visits to the areas in 2012 & 2011 at the site in my signature.
We had to stay at a KOA in Moab for the same reasons. Dead Horse State Park would have been our first choice.

Old 11-16-2013, 02:08 PM   #27

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Wish I could remember the name of this convenient, pleasant Rv park -- it was on the main drag into Moab a mile or two (?) south of center of town.
Attached Thumbnails
UT006.jpg  
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 02:23 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Wish I could remember the name of this convenient, pleasant Rv park -- it was on the main drag into Moab a mile or two (?) south of center of town.
Looks a lot nicer than the KOA which had us stacked pretty tightly. Not knowing what was there and worrying about a space we went for reserving a site before we hit town. It worked out okay, as were gone most of the time hiking in Arches and Canyonlands.

Old 11-16-2013, 07:42 PM   #29

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
In Moab I've stayed at Canyonlands Campground, Site 110 in 1996, Arch View Campground, Site 42 in 2012, and The Riverside Oasis, Site 16 in 2013. Of the tree I preferred The Riverside, although I feel site 16 is one of the better locations in the park. One advantage is it is a very short drive from Riverside to Arches. Depending on how much time you plan to spend in the different parks, it is worth checking the location of the campgrounds to save some driving & time. There can be 1 hour or more drives between locations.

Still, for beauty, you can't beat Dead Horse Point!