Canada 150 Cross Country - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 05-12-2017, 09:48 PM   #41

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Looks good, Ron. Mine has been sitting here waiting for a chance to install. Where did you set up inside? I am wondering if an upper cabinet would make for better transmission, though in the dinette seat would certainly be easy and out of the way.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 10:24 PM   #42

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
I haven't given it a permanent home. It does work through walls so I might just put it an upper cabinet. I have the cable to the under bed area. I might even see how it works from that area.

A slight complication is that I have the 12 volt adapter. To use it the small black brick separates into two pieces. Only the part with the antenna is used and the 12 volt adapter plugs into it. That means that the backet doesn't get used. So I'll use it as is until I think of a way to accommodate both set-ups. I might just use velcro, who knows.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 04:22 PM   #43

Ready to head down the road. Short day today, just out to the airport at Hope, about a hundred miles.

Really wondering how the weather is going to be in the next few months. We got a strange start to the year with ice clogged streets in Portland, torrential rain in LA and unusual flash flood warnings in the desert. Not to mention the mudslide that closed I-5 a couple of hours after we passed through.

Monday we're headed to Kelowna which has lot's of flooded areas. Hope the weather goes back to normal soon and I hope this crazy weather isn't the new normal.

Ron
Old 05-13-2017, 04:30 PM   #44

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 pulled by GMC Canyon Diesel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Ready to head down the road. Short day today, just out to the airport at Hope, about a hundred miles.

Really wondering how the weather is going to be in the next few months. We got a strange start to the year with ice clogged streets in Portland, torrential rain in LA and unusual flash flood warnings in the desert. Not to mention the mudslide that closed I-5 a couple of hours after we passed through.

Monday we're headed to Kelowna which has lot's of flooded areas. Hope the weather goes back to normal soon and I hope this crazy weather isn't the new normal.

Ron
The weather may play havoc with Escapee travel plans to Osoyoos. Jim Thiessen sent me these links that may be useful.

https://www.tranbc.ca/southern-inter...el-advisories/

DriveBC Road Conditions and Events

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness. Mark Twain
JPSpins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 05:16 PM   #45

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Tell me about it, In 2 days have to drive through 7 states located in Tornado Alley, that is one of the reasons why I drive long distances before stopping, a moving target is harder to hit. My first stop will be in Amarillo,Tx
Old 05-13-2017, 05:58 PM   #46

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:

Ron
Hey Ron sending positives thoughts your way Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 01:21 PM   #47

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Canada 150...

Hi: Ron in BC... Here's a snap of our Canada 150 Tulips. This is their first year!!! There are about 200,000 planted in Ottawa. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
P1040577.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 01:32 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: Ron in BC... Here's a snap of our Canada 150 Tulips. This is their first year!!! There are about 200,000 planted in Ottawa. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
On my bucket list to see my Father's birthplace . Pat
Old 05-18-2017, 02:07 PM   #49

Saturday, out to Hope Airport. Sunday flying in bright sunshine over a dry Coq.

Monday, headed up the Coq. in light snow, ice rain and hail.

Spent the night in Salmon Arm and then on to Lake Louise. Cold, with snow on the ground. The lake is still frozen.

Up the highway towards Jasper. Met up with Mike Lewis at a viewpoint and had a chat. Stayed at the campground near Jasper and now we're out of the mountains and heading towards Edmonton. Glad the weather's much warmer now.

Ron
Old 05-18-2017, 02:35 PM   #50

Quote:
Saturday, out to Hope Airport. Sunday flying in bright sunshine over a dry Coq.

Monday, headed up the Coq. in light snow, ice rain and hail.

Spent the night in Salmon Arm and then on to Lake Louise. Cold, with snow on the ground. The lake is still frozen.

Up the highway towards Jasper. Met up with Mike Lewis at a viewpoint and had a chat. Stayed at the campground near Jasper and now we're out of the mountains and heading towards Edmonton. Glad the weather's much warmer now.

Ron
Hi Ron ! Pat
Old 05-18-2017, 08:27 PM   #51

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
I'm visiting Banff and Jasper National Parks for your 150th. I wanted to go to Vancouver Island as well but I was too slow in making reservations at the Pacific Rim NP. I would appreciate recommendations on campgrounds on Vancouver Island that might be available in the summer.
Mike glad to hear you are enjoying Banff and Jasper despite the cold weather. We are at Pacific Rim beautiful here arrived Tuesday and got four days without reservation but they are booked yesterday today and likely all long weekend. Guess you had planned to come here after the rally. Will see you there

Adrian
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 08:58 PM   #52

Long day today. Started from a Walmart in Portage La Prairie, stopped at my personal mecca in Winnipeg, headquarters of Princess Auto, and we're now in a campground about 100 miles from Thunder Bay.

Worst part of the day, driving in heavy rain. But, in a way that's good. Easier travelling than on a hot day when all you're doing is making miles.

Best parts; Wifi signal was too weak to use. Hooked up the new Jefatech amplified antenna and router and got a very strong signal. This is the first time that I've got to use our Jefatech wireless network under real conditions. Looks like it's doing what it's supposed to do.

Second best part; I slowed for a reduced speed limit going into a town. An idiot passed me over a double yellow line. The cop accelerated so quickly that he pulled out ahead of me. I got to drive by and smile.

Making good progress. The place where they make real poutine is getting closer.

Ron
Old 05-21-2017, 09:30 PM   #53

Quote:
Long day today. Started from a Walmart in Portage La Prairie, stopped at my personal mecca in Winnipeg, headquarters of Princess Auto, and we're now in a campground about 100 miles from Thunder Bay.

Worst part of the day, driving in heavy rain. But, in a way that's good. Easier travelling than on a hot day when all you're doing is making miles.

Best parts; Wifi signal was too weak to use. Hooked up the new Jefatech amplified antenna and router and got a very strong signal. This is the first time that I've got to use our Jefatech wireless network under real conditions. Looks like it's doing what it's supposed to do.

Second best part; I slowed for a reduced speed limit going into a town. An idiot passed me over a double yellow line. The cop accelerated so quickly that he pulled out ahead of me. I got to drive by and smile.

Making good progress. The place where they make real poutine is getting closer.

Ron
Hi Ron ! Hope your taking lots of pictures ! Also information on your Jefatech when you get the chance . Stay safe ! Pat
Old 05-24-2017, 11:20 AM   #54

I knew Ontario was huge but, wow, it's bigger than huge. Driving along the North side of Lake Superior, nothing but boreal forests, bears, moose and mosquitoes, not quite in that order.

Finally back in civilization, in North Bay. Love my Tim Hortons. Should be able to make that giant sinkhole for Canadian taxpayers otherwise know as Ottawa by tonight.

After that the pace slows down and we start taking in the sights.

Ron
Old 05-24-2017, 12:06 PM   #55

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Quote:
Originally Posted by emers382 View Post
Mike glad to hear you are enjoying Banff and Jasper despite the cold weather.

Adrian
The weather was nice here in Jasper until today, when an early morning rain has turned to snow. Don't think it's sticking, though. Leaving for Osoyoos tomorrow.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 12:17 PM   #56

Quote:
I knew Ontario was huge but, wow, it's bigger than huge. Driving along the North side of Lake Superior, nothing but boreal forests, bears, moose and mosquitoes, not quite in that order.

Finally back in civilization, in North Bay. Love my Tim Hortons. Should be able to make that giant sinkhole for Canadian taxpayers otherwise know as Ottawa by tonight.

After that the pace slows down and we start taking in the sights.

Ron
Hi Ron ! Can't wait for pictures ! As for sinkholes we have one too but no healthcare to go along with it . Don't care much for the mosquitoes but would love to see the rest . Never tried a Tim Horton's , put on our bucket list . Take care . Pat
Old 05-24-2017, 04:11 PM   #57

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Training wheels wouldn't be impossible but could defeat the ease of storage etc. advantage of a folding bike. I believe that I've seen folding trikes but the cost goes way up. I have built a bike with two rear wheels, several inches apart, for a person unable to use her legs but doing that for an electric bike would be too difficult to contemplate. (Her pride wouldn't let her have a "trike" and since you can still corner on two wheels we call it a bike. )

The price that compact folding bikes have is that the frame is usually small and the handle bars and seat post give the extra height. While the ones on mine are sturdy there's limits to how tall a person could be. I'd say 6' would be the limit for this type, which kind of leaves you dragging your feet.

Ours survived their first test. A couple of miles downhill to a shopping center and then powered us uphill on the return. The battery still had 4 bars out of 4. They operate seamlessly, much better than our old technology clunker.

I think that your best bet would be a conversion kit on a more full size bike.

Ron
There are some great (and expensive) nice trikes out there. Some looking into them could change someone's idea of those.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 04:14 PM   #58

At least you get the advantage of all of the savings most places you will go for this year's celebration. Did you ask in Ottawa what those prices usually are?

Quote:
For years, while travelling all over the world, we've been saying that we really have to travel across our own country some day. So, with it being the year Canada turns 150 and a free National Parks pass, this is the year. From the look of it the pass is going to heavily used in the Maritimes.

We're leaving in the second week of May, pretty much driving to Ontario without much delay. We'll head to the Maritimes and Newfoundland as the first major part of the trip with the only goal of being in Ottawa on July 1st.

The City of Ottawa is a huge disappointment. We thought that they might help out travellers by allowing more relaxed rules about overnight parking during the celebrations. Well, they are. You can park at civic parks and parking lots. It only costs $542.00 for 3 nights. Cost recovery, the staff say. What a crock, I say. Fortunately the folks just across the river in Quebec are much more accommodating, so to speak.

So.... Anyone else doing any specific Canada 150 travelling?

Ron
Old 05-24-2017, 04:58 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by D&R_MA View Post
We're thinking of making the reverse of your trip in late summer/early fall 2017. Will reservations be needed? Would they still be available? We'd very much like to ad-lib our way across.

Thanks,

David
Usually from late August, you would not need reservations, however, this is the 150th which can change things. You probably should check in advance for weekends for where you think you will be. You may be able to do fine during the week but have something reserved for weekends.
Old 05-26-2017, 10:57 AM   #60

At last, the marathon is over and we're in Ottawa. From now on, to the Maritines and Newfoundland the pace will be much more relaxed.

Ottawa can, uh, keep their expensive parking. We've found a place in Gatineau, within walking distance of everything and it's free. It's also a great place to talk to other travellers. We've learned from the French Canadians about lots of other free camping areas for RV's. Delighted to hear it's much the same in Newfoundland.

I'm at the Aviation Museum now watching and ejection seat demo. I'll then take a spin, not literally I hope, in a bi-plane.

Another couple of days sight-seeing and then we'll be on the road again.

Ron