Canyonlands/Arches NP's - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-06-2014, 07:42 PM   #1

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Canyonlands/Arches NP's

Hoping there is a more or less local out there who knows the Moab Area. Starting to make plans for a trip next fall to Utah and a bit of Colorado. As the title says, one of our stops is the Moab area to check out the surrounding parks. Would like to spend 3 or 4 days in Canyonlands Islands in the sky section, and the same in Arches to do some hiking. The question is should I stay in Dead Horse for a week, or stay there for a few days while we explore Canyonlands, then move to the CG in Arches for the rest of the week?
Old 10-06-2014, 09:08 PM   #2

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Hoping there is a more or less local out there who knows the Moab Area. Starting to make plans for a trip next fall to Utah and a bit of Colorado. As the title says, one of our stops is the Moab area to check out the surrounding parks. Would like to spend 3 or 4 days in Canyonlands Islands in the sky section, and the same in Arches to do some hiking. The question is should I stay in Dead Horse for a week, or stay there for a few days while we explore Canyonlands, then move to the CG in Arches for the rest of the week?
I would definitely suggest that you spend some time at Devils Garden CG in Arches. Dead Horse Point is also nice to stay at. Spent three nights at each this past summer and DGCG was my favorite.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 09:58 PM   #3

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
The thing about the Deadhorse campground is it is also at a dead-end to the road and a little out of the way if you plan to be touring Arches and the rest of the Canyonlands area. You might read up about the great Moab in May rally we had this past May.
Here's a link:

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f1...b-ut-3234.html
Old 10-06-2014, 10:26 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
I don't have a photo, but Goose Island Campground is a BLM campground 6 miles north of Moab. Only pit toilets, bit easy to fill up with water in Moab. Right along the Colorado River. We stayed there for three nights a couple of years ago. I think it was about $6.00 a night with the geezer pass
LeonW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 11:35 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape 17B, 2012
Canyonlands

We stayed at Canyonlands for four days September 2013. We were lucky to get a campsite at Willow Flat campground. It's first come, first served so we stayed in Moab for a night and left early for Willow Flat. We got there at about 10:00 and there were about 6 empty sites. The camp sites are quiet and each has a covered picnic area. There are restrooms, no showers, no water. Four days was barely enough time to hike and explore the area. We drove through the campground at Dead Horse and we both thought it would be a good place to stay. It was full at midday but I think they take reservations.
We spent a 1/2 day at Arches and liked Canyonlands much better. Much more diverse area and less crowded.
Our favorite place in Utah so far is Capitol Reef but we would willingly go back to Canyonlands!
A suggestion - have a full tank when you enter these parks. Moab to Willow Flat is about 50 miles. Because of our exploring I had to go back to the highway, fill up and return to camp.
Pics are of Willow Flat.
Eric
Old 10-06-2014, 11:38 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape 17B, 2012
OOPS, here is the pic of Willow Flat CG

Forgot how to attach photos!
Sorry
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN4601.jpg   IMG_0059.jpg  
Old 10-07-2014, 05:29 AM   #7

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Thanks folks, way too many parks to see in Utah in an 8 week trip, already have 9 on our list.
Old 10-07-2014, 09:33 AM   #8

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I usually stay at Dead Horse Point State Park when visiting the area, although it can be difficult to find a site. If you like to hike off the beaten path, while at Canyonlands ask at the visitor center for directions to False Kiva. The view & serenity of the place is amazing.
Attached Thumbnails
ASD_1445.jpg  
Old 10-07-2014, 10:32 PM   #9

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Thanks folks, way too many parks to see in Utah in an 8 week trip, already have 9 on our list.
Oh, how true. We have made 5 or 6 separate trips to Canyonlands/Arches/Dead Horse Point and hope to do many more. So much to see, so little time.

We like Dead Horse Point campground because it is fairly small, isolated, quiet and it has covered tables for shade & rain protection, each table has its own pantry cabinet!!!, heated restrooms with flush toilets (love the colder seasons), paved parking (but some are quite slanted). And for summer AC use, each has 50-AMP service.

As mentioned, sites are hard to reserve but here is a trick we learned. There are 3 (or 4?) non-reservable sites. Your task is to arrive at 8 am just when someone is departing from a non-reservable site. Bingo - it is yours for a week.

Enjoy,
Alan
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 06:41 AM   #10

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
As mentioned, sites are hard to reserve but here is a trick we learned. There are 3 (or 4?) non-reservable sites. Your task is to arrive at 8 am just when someone is departing from a non-reservable site. Bingo - it is yours for a week.

that scene reminds me of musical chairs, one out, one jumps right back in.