Chilliwack, Osoyoos, & Where Advice - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 04-28-2015, 10:38 PM   #21

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Jane View Post
The freeways in our state have been modified to prevent this problem with a "Dowel Bar Retrofit" process. Slots are cut across slab joints and steel dowel bars are placed in the slots to hold the slabs in place. As you drive it's easy to see the repeating pattern of parallel slots in the pavement. (So far, it seems to be working).

-Dave
Good to know that Utah's got it fixed - and so there's at least hope for elsewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Doesn't solve the main problem though -- grossly overweight and unsafe trucks damaging the roads.
There are regulated limits for axle loads, and roads are supposed to be designed to handle those loads. Enforcement agencies - from general police forces to dedicated commercial vehicle branches - exist to keep trucks within these (and other) rules; it seems to me that commercial vehicle rules are enforced far more aggressively than private vehicle rules.

Perhaps the secret is to tow through areas where the rules are most effectively enforced? In Canadian provinces where I have driven, commercial trucks are normally in the right-hand lane of multi-lane highways, and most of those roads are not noticeably worse in that lane.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 11:35 PM   #22

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote: "Perhaps the secret is to tow through areas where the rules are most effectively enforced".

How does one figure that out? Seems impossible. I know that I-5 is the poster child for the slow lane being totally beat from truck traffic.

Have been on Hwy 9 south of Sumas 3 times in the last year. It is heavily used by trucks going southbound. Locals say it is trucks from Canada bypassing I-5 truck inspections with heavy loads. If so, why are officials looking the other way?
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 07:16 AM   #23

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: Rossue... If the "Officials" Look the other way...they miss seeing all the paperwork!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 07:51 AM   #24
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Perhaps the secret is to tow through areas where the rules are most effectively enforced? In Canadian provinces where I have driven, commercial trucks are normally in the right-hand lane of multi-lane highways, and most of those roads are not noticeably worse in that lane.

I would agree with that. We tried to completely avoid Interstates, and that helped. Yes, the rules are "enforced" for trucks but it depends on what is meant by enforcement. In many states an overweight truck is given a fine or levy, and then allowed to go on its way, overweight and all. The theory is that the fine goes toward road repair, but the effect is that the trucks damage the road, and the extra fines and levies sometimes don't get spent on the roads, but on maintaining the bureaucracy.

If an overweight truck were not allowed to pass when overweight, and had to lose cargo as a result, there would be very few overweight trucks in short order. Yes, we'd wind up paying more for certain goods and services, but the roads would last longer, so I think it would be a wash.
Old 04-29-2015, 01:15 PM   #25

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
One thing I found out when doing highway design in school, is the main reason that the weight stations exist, is to determine the usage of heavy truck loads on the road. This information is used in determining future maintenance and design for that roadway. Passenger vehicles do not even come into play in determining how much weight and traffic a highway is designed for.

If you found to be overweight at a weight station, at least in Alberta and BC, you cannot drive on without a special overweight permit, which isn't cheap.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 04:05 PM   #26

Trailer: Escape 5.0TA
Do you think we will find campsites in Jasper and Banff without reservations during the first week of June? We are thinking of just winging it without any definite schedule (except the Rally).

Thanks again,
Mark
Drumstick63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 04:58 PM   #27

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Quote: "Perhaps the secret is to tow through areas where the rules are most effectively enforced".

How does one figure that out? Seems impossible.
I agree - for us, with no special insights, there's no reasonable way to know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Have been on Hwy 9 south of Sumas 3 times in the last year. It is heavily used by trucks going southbound. Locals say it is trucks from Canada bypassing I-5 truck inspections with heavy loads. If so, why are officials looking the other way?
Those trucks could also be bypassing long waits at the Pacific Border crossing (Highway 99 / Interstate 5), or avoiding traffic. If there isn't a scale on the Hwy 9 route, the officials have no way to enforce weight limits there, but I don't think it bypasses any scales on I-5, either. The border crossings themselves could be differently equipped. Just speculation...

Okay, maybe the idea is to ask a trucker which routes don't have much heavy truck traffic
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 06:27 PM   #28

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumstick63 View Post
Do you think we will find campsites in Jasper and Banff without reservations during the first week of June? We are thinking of just winging it without any definite schedule (except the Rally).

Thanks again,
Mark
Hi Mark I think you would be fine in early June.

Cheers
Doug
Old 04-29-2015, 06:33 PM   #29

Trailer: ESCAPE #3 COMING - 19 FT
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGDriver View Post
Hi Mark I think you would be fine in early June.

Cheers
Doug
Agreed,early june shud be ok.

enjoy the scenery.
ESCAPE #3, 19FT ON ORDER
TV - NOT YET, THINKING RIDGELINE OR F150
KEN AND DIANA, CALGARY
kvermeulen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 01:25 AM   #30

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
If anyone has trouble getting into Banff campsites a nearby (40 min) alternative is Kananaskis (Bow Valley Campground ). It's probably only 20 minutes south of the highway. You won't have the crowds and can explore both Kananaskis and Banff. The scenery is awesome as well and no tour buses. No restaurants either, but you have your Escape! I prefer it to Banff and Jasper and the hiking is good too.

Bob K
Bobbito is offline   Reply With Quote