Chilliwack Pick-up Trip - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-25-2015, 03:56 PM   #21

Trailer: 5.0 TA - Sept. 2015, 2016 Silverado 2500 Duramax
Kevin,
You are right. Probably nothing to be concerned with. But as first time parents of a just hatched trailer, we need to get acclimated. We are not wishing for anything to go wrong. ETI has a great track record for a great product, which is why we all bought in the first place.
Maybe just being overly cautious? Thanks for your comments though, very much appreciated!
Lucy
Joe Walsh
Charlie & Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 03:56 PM   #22

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17B - 2009 Chevy Tahoe Hybrid
Lucy, I paid the $30 through AT&T to get roaming when I went up for the Rally. If I were go for an extended period (the $30 covered 30 days), I might do it again but for short-term, would not. Would put in Airplane Mode and use wifi where it is available . . . and save the $30.

On another thought, what have you done for phone service if you are from the U.S. while in Canada? Paid the extra cost for roaming? Or shut off your phone?
Old 06-25-2015, 04:13 PM   #23
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDarby View Post
On another thought, what have you done for phone service if you are from the U.S. while in Canada? Paid the extra cost for roaming? Or shut off your phone?

When I fly there, I usually pick up a prepaid SIM card and just swap it out. They're relatively inexpensive.
Old 06-25-2015, 04:16 PM   #24

Trailer: 5.0 TA - Sept. 2015, 2016 Silverado 2500 Duramax
Quote:
Lucy, I paid the $30 through AT&T to get roaming when I went up for the Rally. If I were go for an extended period (the $30 covered 30 days), I might do it again but for short-term, would not. Would put in Airplane Mode and use wifi where it is available . . . and save the $30.

Hi Ellen. We probably will just put it in Airplane mode. Good thinking!
Thanks!
Lucy
Joe Walsh
Charlie & Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 04:31 PM   #25

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Airplane mode turns whole phone into an ipod-esque device...You want to instead disable data roaming and cellular data for out of country stays without extra charges.
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 05:16 PM   #26
Site Team

Chilliwack Pick-up Trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCnomad View Post
Airplane mode turns whole phone into an ipod-esque device...You want to instead disable data roaming and cellular data for out of country stays without extra charges.

Depends. Some American carriers and plans charge a ton for international voice roaming too. Of course, you won't be charged unless you make or receive a call.
Old 06-25-2015, 05:23 PM   #27

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Golly, I used to go camping for days and days without a phone. Just got one last year so I could call to check on my 98-year-old dad and that's the only time I use it.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 05:41 PM   #28

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave & Penny Smith View Post
Folks:
Thanks for all of your replies--I guess I should have emphasized that were looking for information on traveling back from Chilliwack (through Canada) after having re-entered Canada subsequent to having taken possession of the Escape (at Sumas). Assuming that I'm able to pre-register the trailer with the Utah DMV, re-entering Canada, should hopefully be no problem. It seems a missed opportunity not to explore Canada (particularly given the exchange rates) once we are already there.
Thanks,
Dave
We will be doing the same. After taking the trailer at Sumas, WA, we are camping nearby on the Washington side for two nights, then going to a place on the Canada side for a night not far from ETI. Then we go east through Canada. Had to book everything due to it being August. Booked the last or next to last spot in some places.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 06:57 PM   #29
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenH View Post
Golly, I used to go camping for days and days without a phone. Just got one last year so I could call to check on my 98-year-old dad and that's the only time I use it.

When I retire Karen....when I retire. The only way folks will be able to reach me then will be by snail mail, or maybe Pony Express. Till then, it's the electronic blizzard.
Old 06-25-2015, 08:02 PM   #30

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by kstock11 View Post
Just an observation on this thread. I've been following the forum for a bit over two years now. I've noticed many buyers talking about staying close to Escape "in case of problems." I can only remember one forum member who brought their Escape back. (due to a defective door) We've had our 19' for over a year & had 3 items fail, but none of which we felt that Escape could have predicted as they all worked upon delivery.
Am with you on this one; best thing to do is perform a thorough inspection- but it is somewhat difficult to do as you're literally at the end of the production line and there is another trailer waiting for the "orientation" bay. So, may not be practical to run the water for example, but still print out a checklist you can easily find online and go through it. "An ounce of prevention".....
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 08:21 PM   #31
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Pant, pant, pant. I thoroughly understand the need (want) to stay close to ETI for a night or two. Although I'm not new to towing an all molded towable (did it for years), a 5th wheel and all the STUFF inside Ten Forward... was.

Besides after orientation, I was exhausted. All that information coming to my brain quickly and hyper-overload with adrenalin (Ten Forward was MINE). I was actually grateful to camp close by for a day (two nights for me). YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 08:50 PM   #32

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
I agree with the "stay close" to begin understanding the new trailer with all the systems. For my wife & I, this was the first time ever in a trailer. (After 50+ years in a tent) As to a lack of confidence in ETI - no way. If you've been in manufacturing, then you know that they have their processes together. They are successful because they have built a production system with checks and balances that doesn't leave anything to chance.
Old 06-25-2015, 08:57 PM   #33

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
They're good but no one bats 1000. We had some small issues- and I know others who have had larger ones out of the gate. The most current question about design and/or production consistency is now a concern with solar panels.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 10:42 PM   #34

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Also, coincidentally, my son just told me last night about seeing a trailer in a gas station about the same size as mine. My son was talking to the driver who had a horrible time pulling out after getting his gas. I said I would just go through the lines at the truck stops -- not sure if it's allowed or not but . . . kind of thinking nobody would actually say anything.
There are two problems with going through the big wide truck lanes at a truck stop:
  1. Some of them are cardlocks, which only work if you have an account with them.
  2. Most have only diesel fuel (since the big rigs are essentially all diesel) - excellent if your tug is diesel, but most of us have gas engines.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 10:53 PM   #35

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17B - 2009 Chevy Tahoe Hybrid
Aha!!!!! Good t'know -- thanks!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
There are two problems with going through the big wide truck lanes at a truck stop:
  1. Some of them are cardlocks, which only work if you have an account with them.
  2. Most have only diesel fuel (since the big rigs are essentially all diesel) - excellent if your tug is diesel, but most of us have gas engines.
Old 06-26-2015, 07:24 AM   #36

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA
I have stayed at the Lynden KOA. Not too far and very nice people. Mostly Canadian.
There are two campgrounds right there at Chilliwack.

On another topic: When we bought the classic in 2011, we spent 4 weeks exploring Canada before exiting just west of Glacier NP into Montana. Took about 30 minutes because they had not done very many. Then we mailed the export docs back to Tammy. I suspect the Sumas deliveries are happening because people were not sending the export docs back fast enough and Tammy was getting flack from Canadian tax people.

Dick
Old 06-27-2015, 03:21 AM   #37

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19'
Definitely stay near ETI the night before orientation. After so many hours of driving, you will want to be well rested.

Many options in and around Chilliwack to test your RV systems. We stayed at Royalwood just 10 days ago when we picked up our trailer. Just a few miles from ETI. Full hookups and cheap!
Daubsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 09:47 AM   #38

Trailer: Escape 21 'Toto'
We're starting off our trip to Vancouver Island with a visit to ETI for a refrigerator swap. We're going to stay at "Camperland" Bridal Falls RV "Resort," about 15 minutes from ETI, on June 29 and 30. Will post a quick review here on the forum in case it's a help.
Old 06-27-2015, 11:17 AM   #39
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daubsy View Post
Definitely stay near ETI the night before orientation. After so many hours of driving, you will want to be well rested.

Many options in and around Chilliwack to test your RV systems. We stayed at Royalwood just 10 days ago when we picked up our trailer. Just a few miles from ETI. Full hookups and cheap!
Hi Sean, I guess I missed it. How do you guys like the trailer?
Old 06-27-2015, 12:22 PM   #40

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Hi Sean, I guess I missed it. How do you guys like the trailer?

Hi Robert,
We're having a great time! Getting settled in and finally having some downtime. I plan to do a write-up when I get back, if not sooner.
Daubsy is offline   Reply With Quote