Chilliwack Pick-up Trip - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 06-25-2015, 10:43 AM   #1

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17B
Chilliwack Pick-up Trip

Folks:
We're starting to plan our trip to pick-up our Escape (17B). Completion date is Aug. 14th (Fri.). Our orientation is scheduled for 11:00 am that day. Various people have mentioned the value of staying near ETI for a few days in case there are any problems with the trailer. Given our pick-up on Friday, this probably means staying near Chilliwack through Mon. (17th). What are your opinions of campgrounds near by? We typically camp without hook-ups (are getting the solar panel & 6V batteries).

We're also looking at options for our return to SLC. We'll have several weeks available and are interested in ideas as to routes/camping etc. We've spent considerable time in the Canadian mountain parks (previous backpacking, climbing, camping trips), so are more interested in areas we haven't seen. Thinking about interior B.C. west of the Rocky Mountains.

We'll probably drive directly to Chilliwack on our way up (I84, I90, & I5), but are open to suggestions for our return. Ideas?

Thanks for your suggestions.

Dave
Dave & Penny Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 11:28 AM   #2

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17B - 2009 Chevy Tahoe Hybrid
Good idea. Do you think ETI would hook up with you again to bring your 17B back across the border?

Various people have mentioned the value of staying near ETI for a few days in case there are any problems with the trailer.
Old 06-25-2015, 12:24 PM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDarby View Post
Good idea. Do you think ETI would hook up with you again to bring your 17B back across the border?
You know, I've thought about this scenario. For those who want to camp in Canada after picking up, why not just do so and when you're ready to go back to the US, ask Escape to take the trailer from Chilliwack to Sumas as normal? But, that won't work. The trailer is sold for EXPORT only for US buyers, so there is no BC tax, etc. The trailer hasn't been officially exported until it crosses the border and the paperwork is completed. So, operating it in Canada before it's exported is essentially illegal.
Old 06-25-2015, 12:27 PM   #4

Trailer: 2015 Escape, 19'
You should talk to the folks at escape about good camping places nearby, as many seem to be old hands at camping.....plus, it is soooo beautiful around there, we were thinking about doing the same thing but didn't really fit into our schedule....K
KarenB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 12:29 PM   #5

Interesting point Robert....Reace did ask us if we were staying in the area in the event we needed anything. Since we weren't, I didn't really ask him exactly how that would play out....K
Old 06-25-2015, 12:32 PM   #6

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
You know, I've thought about this scenario. For those who want to camp in Canada after picking up, why not just do so and when you're ready to go back to the US, ask Escape to take the trailer from Chilliwack to Sumas as normal? But, that won't work. The trailer is sold for EXPORT only for US buyers, so there is no BC tax, etc. The trailer hasn't been officially exported until it crosses the border and the paperwork is completed. So, operating it in Canada before it's exported is essentially illegal.
That's news to me! I did that very thing, and stayed nearby the factory. As there were some minor glitches that were readily handled, it was very convenient. Did the laws change since 2009? I would recommend staying nearby for that very purpose for a day or so even if you have to cross back over and go to Chilliwack.
Old 06-25-2015, 12:36 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandra L View Post
That's news to me! I did that very thing, and stayed nearby the factory. As there were some minor glitches that were readily handled, it was very convenient. Did the laws change since 2009? I would recommend staying nearby for that very purpose for a day or so even if you have to cross back over and go to Chilliwack.
I don't think any laws have "changed". Just saying that the trailer hasn't been exported until it crosses. And since it's sold for export only, well...
Old 06-25-2015, 12:41 PM   #8

ohhhh, such good information. Will continue to follow this thread.

Actually, I would like to take the RV driving training that I heard about that's close to Chilliwack and trying to figure out whether to go up before I pick up my trailer or after.
Old 06-25-2015, 12:54 PM   #9

Trailer: 2014 17b/ 2012 Chevy Colorado
Quote:
ohhhh, such good information. Will continue to follow this thread.

Actually, I would like to take the RV driving training that I heard about that's close to Chilliwack and trying to figure out whether to go up before I pick up my trailer or after.
We took the training and found it useful. Ask the instructor to have you drive through a gas station! Just to confirm what others have said, you MUST take posession of the trailer in the US to avoid several thousand dollars in Canadian taxes.
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 12:54 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
I don't think any laws have "changed". Just saying that the trailer hasn't been exported until it crosses. And since it's sold for export only, well...
The procedure I followed was done at the time, and for some years after that, so I wonder what happened? I had no problems crossing. I was told to park near the entrance (to the US), and gave my handful of papers to the "inspector" (or whoever he was), waited for a bit and was told all was OK and I could be on my way. As I did not give over any keys as I recall, I don't believe there was an interior inspection.
Old 06-25-2015, 01:00 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
The procedure I followed was done at the time, and for some years after that, so I wonder what happened? I had no problems crossing. I was told to park near the entrance (to the US), and gave my handful of papers to the "inspector" (or whoever he was), waited for a bit and was told all was OK and I could be on my way. As I did not give over any keys as I recall, I don't believe there was an interior inspection.
Ah, I see. You did the export. We didn't have to park anywhere except at Bob's Burgers in Sumas WA. The delivery driver contracted by Escape exported the trailer, handled all the paperwork, and just met us there. That's been SOP for quite a while now.
Old 06-25-2015, 01:04 PM   #12

Thanks for this! Also, coincidentally, my son just told me last night about seeing a trailer in a gas station about the same size as mine. My son was talking to the driver who had a horrible time pulling out after getting his gas. I said I would just go through the lines at the truck stops -- not sure if it's allowed or not but . . . kind of thinking nobody would actually say anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardsale View Post
We took the training and found it useful. Ask the instructor to have you drive through a gas station! Just to confirm what others have said, you MUST take posession of the trailer in the US to avoid several thousand dollars in Canadian taxes.
Old 06-25-2015, 01:33 PM   #13

Quote:
Thanks for this! Also, coincidentally, my son just told me last night about seeing a trailer in a gas station about the same size as mine. My son was talking to the driver who had a horrible time pulling out after getting his gas. I said I would just go through the lines at the truck stops -- not sure if it's allowed or not but . . . kind of thinking nobody would actually say anything.
I always check out ingress and egress prior to pulling in any gas station, as the last thing I need to do is have to back up!
I also try to get gas at Costco as there has always been plenty of room. There is a Costco gas station in Bellingham, WA, and I have seen many Canadian vehicles there. Oregon is my favorite as they still pump the gas for you.
Old 06-25-2015, 01:36 PM   #14

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Quote:
I always check out ingress and egress prior to pulling in any gas station, as the last thing I need to do is have to back up!
Yes, that's what I do and it is very important. Try not to over think or stew about gas stations too much--especially with a 17.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 02:22 PM   #15

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19' (sold), Escape 5.0 as of August 2019 (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave & Penny Smith View Post
Folks:

We're starting to plan our trip to pick-up our Escape (17B). Completion date is Aug. 14th (Fri.). Our orientation is scheduled for 11:00 am that day. Various people have mentioned the value of staying near ETI for a few days in case there are any problems with the trailer. Given our pick-up on Friday, this probably means staying near Chilliwack through Mon. (17th). What are your opinions of campgrounds near by? We typically camp without hook-ups (are getting the solar panel & 6V batteries).

We're also looking at options for our return to SLC. We'll have several weeks available and are interested in ideas as to routes/camping etc. We've spent considerable time in the Canadian mountain parks (previous backpacking, climbing, camping trips), so are more interested in areas we haven't seen. Thinking about interior B.C. west of the Rocky Mountains.

We'll probably drive directly to Chilliwack on our way up (I84, I90, & I5), but are open to suggestions for our return. Ideas?

Thanks for your suggestions.

Dave

Congratulations! We are picking up our 19 the day before on the 13th with inspection scheduled for 8am. We are staying the first few nights at NAS Whidbey Island. While not real close to ETI, it's within driving distance if need be.
JStelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 02:33 PM   #16

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17B
Pick-up Trip to Chilliwack

Folks:
Thanks for all of your replies--I guess I should have emphasized that were looking for information on traveling back from Chilliwack (through Canada) after having re-entered Canada subsequent to having taken possession of the Escape (at Sumas). Assuming that I'm able to pre-register the trailer with the Utah DMV, re-entering Canada, should hopefully be no problem. It seems a missed opportunity not to explore Canada (particularly given the exchange rates) once we are already there.
Thanks,
Dave
Dave & Penny Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 03:43 PM   #17

Trailer: 5.0 TA - Sept. 2015, 2016 Silverado 2500 Duramax
After pick up

Quote:
Originally Posted by JStelly View Post
Congratulations! We are picking up our 19 the day before on the 13th with inspection scheduled for 8am. We are staying the first few nights at NAS Whidbey Island. While not real close to ETI, it's within driving distance if need be.
We have our orientation on Sept 8th at 8am.... And we're also hoping to camp nearby ETI. Or were thinking about camping nearby Sumas for the same reasons. Just in case, and also to get acclimated to our new trailer. Hoping to connect with Loren & Cathy who are picking up their new trailer on the 10th. We will then be heading down the coast a ways.
So, any suggestions as to what campgrounds people would recommend would be gratefully appreciated!
On another thought, what have you done for phone service if you are from the U.S. while in Canada? Paid the extra cost for roaming? Or shut off your phone?
Thanks!
Joe Walsh
Charlie & Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 03:44 PM   #18

Charlie, we just shut off phones at the border. We stayed at Best Western next to Escape, which had wifi, so not a big deal. I've been majorly dinged in the past for international roaming so didn't want to get into that again....K
Old 06-25-2015, 03:46 PM   #19

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Just an observation on this thread. I've been following the forum for a bit over two years now. I've noticed many buyers talking about staying close to Escape "in case of problems." I can only remember one forum member who brought their Escape back. (due to a defective door) We've had our 19' for over a year & had 3 items fail, but none of which we felt that Escape could have predicted as they all worked upon delivery.
Old 06-25-2015, 03:50 PM   #20

Trailer: 5.0 TA - Sept. 2015, 2016 Silverado 2500 Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenB View Post
Charlie, we just shut off phones at the border. We stayed at Best Western next to Escape, which had wifi, so not a big deal. I've been majorly dinged in the past for international roaming so didn't want to get into that again....K
Thanks Karen!
Thanks for your response.
We are planning on staying at the Best Western also the night before orientation, but thinking for the few days after pick up. We went up to Montreal last summer and I think I got majorly dinged then too... Don't want to do that again either!!
Joe Walsh
Charlie & Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote