Chilliwack Pick-up Trip - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-25-2015, 11:43 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Sandy, Utah
Trailer: 2015 Escape 17B
Posts: 100
Chilliwack Pick-up Trip

Folks:
We're starting to plan our trip to pick-up our Escape (17B). Completion date is Aug. 14th (Fri.). Our orientation is scheduled for 11:00 am that day. Various people have mentioned the value of staying near ETI for a few days in case there are any problems with the trailer. Given our pick-up on Friday, this probably means staying near Chilliwack through Mon. (17th). What are your opinions of campgrounds near by? We typically camp without hook-ups (are getting the solar panel & 6V batteries).

We're also looking at options for our return to SLC. We'll have several weeks available and are interested in ideas as to routes/camping etc. We've spent considerable time in the Canadian mountain parks (previous backpacking, climbing, camping trips), so are more interested in areas we haven't seen. Thinking about interior B.C. west of the Rocky Mountains.

We'll probably drive directly to Chilliwack on our way up (I84, I90, & I5), but are open to suggestions for our return. Ideas?

Thanks for your suggestions.

Dave
__________________

Dave & Penny Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 12:28 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
EDarby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Trailer: 2015 Escape 17B - 2009 Chevy Tahoe Hybrid
Posts: 552
Good idea. Do you think ETI would hook up with you again to bring your 17B back across the border?

Various people have mentioned the value of staying near ETI for a few days in case there are any problems with the trailer.
__________________

__________________
You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream.
C.S. Lewis
EDarby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 01:24 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
rbryan4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
Posts: 7,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDarby View Post
Good idea. Do you think ETI would hook up with you again to bring your 17B back across the border?
You know, I've thought about this scenario. For those who want to camp in Canada after picking up, why not just do so and when you're ready to go back to the US, ask Escape to take the trailer from Chilliwack to Sumas as normal? But, that won't work. The trailer is sold for EXPORT only for US buyers, so there is no BC tax, etc. The trailer hasn't been officially exported until it crosses the border and the paperwork is completed. So, operating it in Canada before it's exported is essentially illegal.
__________________
"You can't buy happiness, but you can buy an RV. And that is pretty close."
rbryan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 01:27 PM   #4
Member
 
KarenB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Tahoe City, California
Trailer: 2015 Escape, 19'
Posts: 87
You should talk to the folks at escape about good camping places nearby, as many seem to be old hands at camping.....plus, it is soooo beautiful around there, we were thinking about doing the same thing but didn't really fit into our schedule....K
KarenB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 01:29 PM   #5
Member
 
KarenB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Tahoe City, California
Trailer: 2015 Escape, 19'
Posts: 87
Interesting point Robert....Reace did ask us if we were staying in the area in the event we needed anything. Since we weren't, I didn't really ask him exactly how that would play out....K
KarenB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 01:32 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Sandra L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Antelope, California
Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2005 Toyota Sienna
Posts: 1,513
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
You know, I've thought about this scenario. For those who want to camp in Canada after picking up, why not just do so and when you're ready to go back to the US, ask Escape to take the trailer from Chilliwack to Sumas as normal? But, that won't work. The trailer is sold for EXPORT only for US buyers, so there is no BC tax, etc. The trailer hasn't been officially exported until it crosses the border and the paperwork is completed. So, operating it in Canada before it's exported is essentially illegal.
That's news to me! I did that very thing, and stayed nearby the factory. As there were some minor glitches that were readily handled, it was very convenient. Did the laws change since 2009? I would recommend staying nearby for that very purpose for a day or so even if you have to cross back over and go to Chilliwack.
__________________
Peace and Sunshine
Sandra L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 01:36 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
rbryan4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
Posts: 7,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandra L View Post
That's news to me! I did that very thing, and stayed nearby the factory. As there were some minor glitches that were readily handled, it was very convenient. Did the laws change since 2009? I would recommend staying nearby for that very purpose for a day or so even if you have to cross back over and go to Chilliwack.
I don't think any laws have "changed". Just saying that the trailer hasn't been exported until it crosses. And since it's sold for export only, well...
__________________
"You can't buy happiness, but you can buy an RV. And that is pretty close."
rbryan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 01:41 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
EDarby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Trailer: 2015 Escape 17B - 2009 Chevy Tahoe Hybrid
Posts: 552
ohhhh, such good information. Will continue to follow this thread.

Actually, I would like to take the RV driving training that I heard about that's close to Chilliwack and trying to figure out whether to go up before I pick up my trailer or after.
__________________
You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream.
C.S. Lewis
EDarby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 01:54 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Burlington, Vermont
Trailer: 2014 17b/RAV4 (sold) 2012 Chevy Colorado
Posts: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDarby View Post
ohhhh, such good information. Will continue to follow this thread.

Actually, I would like to take the RV driving training that I heard about that's close to Chilliwack and trying to figure out whether to go up before I pick up my trailer or after.
We took the training and found it useful. Ask the instructor to have you drive through a gas station! Just to confirm what others have said, you MUST take posession of the trailer in the US to avoid several thousand dollars in Canadian taxes.
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 01:54 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Sandra L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Antelope, California
Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2005 Toyota Sienna
Posts: 1,513
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
I don't think any laws have "changed". Just saying that the trailer hasn't been exported until it crosses. And since it's sold for export only, well...
The procedure I followed was done at the time, and for some years after that, so I wonder what happened? I had no problems crossing. I was told to park near the entrance (to the US), and gave my handful of papers to the "inspector" (or whoever he was), waited for a bit and was told all was OK and I could be on my way. As I did not give over any keys as I recall, I don't believe there was an interior inspection.
__________________

__________________
Peace and Sunshine
Sandra L is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.