Chilliwack to Moab - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-23-2019, 11:21 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Trailer: 2019 Escape 19
Posts: 10
Chilliwack to Moab

We are picking up our new Escape 19 in Chilliwack in a few weeks. We are planning to head to Moab UT before returning home to Calgary. I'd welcome any advice on routes from Chilliwack to Moab and info on good campsites along the way.
__________________

Martin Cramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 12:06 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
rotateclockwise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Durham, North Carolina
Trailer: 1721
Posts: 179
Staying around Jackson, WY and the Tetons is nice. Though, depending on when you are traveling through, campsites might not be open and it will be chilly. The views are incredible and Jackson is a nice town.
__________________

rotateclockwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 04:41 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: North Vancouver, British Columbia
Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 towed by F-150 with 2.7l eb, formerly Escape 17B 2017
Posts: 534
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Cramer View Post
We are picking up our new Escape 19 in Chilliwack in a few weeks. We are planning to head to Moab UT before returning home to Calgary. I'd welcome any advice on routes from Chilliwack to Moab and info on good campsites along the way.
Using Google Maps, down the I-5 to Seattle, then I-90 East to Ellensburg, then I-82/I-84 to Salt Lake City and then cross country to Moab. Avoid Seattle in the rush our like the plague. There's good overnight parking at Wild Horse Casino just outside Pendleton, We have also stopped at Walmart in Mountain Home Idaho too, both are free. As an alternative, the great basin highway (highway 93 south from Twin Falls) to Ely, Nevada (you can overnight at the Ely Hotel) then east on highway 50, for something different.

Moab is wonderful, great scenery all around. Horsethief Campground out of town is great and smaller and cheaper than in town, but its dry camping and no hook-ups.

If you are new to this, get the Allstays App for information on places to stay, including free places to camp.

Happy Travelling.
Chris & Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 05:21 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
davidmurphy02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Austin, Texas
Trailer: 2019 5.0TA, 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Posts: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris & Patricia View Post
Using Google Maps, down the I-5 to Seattle, then I-90 East to Ellensburg, then I-82/I-84 to Salt Lake City and then cross country to Moab. .
We are picking our 5.0TA on April 12 and will take this same route on our way home to Texas. We drove it in September when we went to Chilliwack to visit ETI and found it to be a great drive.

We plan to stay at the Lynden KOA a couple of nights to load up, stock up, and check out everything then will leave to head south on Sunday morning to avoid the worst of Seattle traffic. We mapped out a relatively easy 3 day drive to Moab, staying the first night in Umatilla OR at the Umatilla Marina & RV Park on the Columbia River, and the next night at the Riverside RV Park in Heyburn, ID on the Snake River. Both are nice little city owned RV parks, hookups and not too expensive - and both on a river.

Link for Umatilla: https://www.umatilla-city.org/marina

Link for Heyburn: - Riverside RV Park - City of Heyburn *

In Moab the commercial campgrounds are very expensive but there are quite a few BLM campgrounds in the area. If you look at Route 128 heading east on the north side of town there are half a dozen nice BLM campgrounds right on the Colorado River within the first few miles, no water or hookups but spectacular scenery.
__________________
David, Mary, and 3 Cats
davidmurphy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 10:19 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: SLO County, California
Trailer: 2014 21
Posts: 3,019
Got to stage yourself in many instances to snag a first come spot at those BLM sites on the Colorado(and Horsethief first come vs. Deadhorse SP resevations). Big Bend about 4 miles up the Colorado was very nice for us.
__________________
"Are You Sure?
- Russell Casse, Independence Day
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 10:20 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Surrey, BC, British Columbia
Trailer: 2014 Escape 19'
Posts: 161
If you aren't in a hurry, you could take I-5/99 all the way to Bakersfield, then head east. Go to Lone Pine on 58/14/395, then east through Death Valley, Las Vegas, and hit the Utah National parks (Zion, Bryce, Capitol Reef) on the way to Moab.
__________________
Kirk & Shelley
2014 19'
Surrey, Beautiful BC, Canada
KirkB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 10:32 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: North Vancouver, British Columbia
Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 towed by F-150 with 2.7l eb, formerly Escape 17B 2017
Posts: 534
Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkB View Post
If you aren't in a hurry, you could take I-5/99 all the way to Bakersfield, then head east. Go to Lone Pine on 58/14/395, then east through Death Valley, Las Vegas, and hit the Utah National parks (Zion, Bryce, Capitol Reef) on the way to Moab.
That would be a good route, although we find that I-5 is better scenically south of Sacramento rather than 99.
Chris & Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 10:33 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: SLO County, California
Trailer: 2014 21
Posts: 3,019
Gonna probably be Hot in Death Valley by then and that drive in from the 395 is the most difficult entrance. Was just there and was intent on not repeating that journey we took in April 2014 with a Highlander/17B combo. The only good part of that in/out traverse was being sure we needed a larger tow for the 21 we soon ordered afterwards.

Just finished a loop from here to Palm Springs then Vegas for a wedding and the road from Pahrump was easy. Not much worse was from DV to Beatty on the 374. After trying to get info from rangers, etc. in DV(none knew) we found the 168 from Nevada to Big Pine to be awesome!
__________________
"Are You Sure?
- Russell Casse, Independence Day
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 11:05 PM   #9
Member
 
jnfrombigt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: North Augusta, South Carolina
Trailer: 2019 Escape 5.0TA
Posts: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Cramer View Post
We are picking up our new Escape 19 in Chilliwack in a few weeks. We are planning to head to Moab UT before returning home to Calgary. I'd welcome any advice on routes from Chilliwack to Moab and info on good campsites along the way.
I'm picking up June 24 and plan the same trip to Moab to visit Arches and Canyonlands. After that, we'll head down t Monument Valley and the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. I'll be interested in what you recommend following your trip.
__________________
"Everyday's a Holiday"
jnfrombigt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 11:12 PM   #10
Member
 
jnfrombigt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: North Augusta, South Carolina
Trailer: 2019 Escape 5.0TA
Posts: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmurphy02 View Post
We are picking our 5.0TA on April 12 and will take this same route on our way home to Texas. We drove it in September when we went to Chilliwack to visit ETI and found it to be a great drive.

We plan to stay at the Lynden KOA a couple of nights to load up, stock up, and check out everything then will leave to head south on Sunday morning to avoid the worst of Seattle traffic. We mapped out a relatively easy 3 day drive to Moab, staying the first night in Umatilla OR at the Umatilla Marina & RV Park on the Columbia River, and the next night at the Riverside RV Park in Heyburn, ID on the Snake River. Both are nice little city owned RV parks, hookups and not too expensive - and both on a river.

Link for Umatilla: https://www.umatilla-city.org/marina

Link for Heyburn: - Riverside RV Park - City of Heyburn *

In Moab the commercial campgrounds are very expensive but there are quite a few BLM campgrounds in the area. If you look at Route 128 heading east on the north side of town there are half a dozen nice BLM campgrounds right on the Colorado River within the first few miles, no water or hookups but spectacular scenery.
As I mentioned on an earlier post, we'll be making the Moab run late June and I'll also be interested in your recommendations. Our journey will eventually lead to I40 then we'll head east.
__________________

__________________
"Everyday's a Holiday"
jnfrombigt is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Escape Trailer Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:49 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.