Chilliwack to Toronto through Canada - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 12-03-2017, 09:47 AM   #1

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21
Chilliwack to Toronto through Canada

We are driving west to pick up our trailer in July. I'm planning a quick drive west (quick is relative) and then a slow drive east on the way home with the trailer. We are going to go out through Banff and home through Jasper and did the drive through the Rockies a few summers ago so we are not planning on staying long there. I'm looking for suggestions for somewhere close to Chilliwack to camp for a short time to get the trailer set up before heading east. We will stay a few nights in Jasper and a few nights in Prince Albert National Park in Saskatchewan. From there we will stay in Canada and go home through Thunder Bay. Does anyone have other suggestions of great places to see or things to do along our drive home? We have 2 kids ages 11 and 9. Thanks.
Yakanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 10:05 AM   #2

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakanaka View Post
We are driving west to pick up our trailer in July. I'm planning a quick drive west (quick is relative) and then a slow drive east on the way home with the trailer. We are going to go out through Banff and home through Jasper and did the drive through the Rockies a few summers ago so we are not planning on staying long there. I'm looking for suggestions for somewhere close to Chilliwack to camp for a short time to get the trailer set up before heading east. We will stay a few nights in Jasper and a few nights in Prince Albert National Park in Saskatchewan. From there we will stay in Canada and go home through Thunder Bay. Does anyone have other suggestions of great places to see or things to do along our drive home? We have 2 kids ages 11 and 9. Thanks.
Children would love touring the SS Moyie in Kaslo, BC. Its an old stern wheel ship. There is also an old ghost town between New Denver and Kaslo (I forget the name) but it is very interesting. The hydro power plant there is the oldest running in Canada, still going strong on the very old equipment (they provide tours). There are also some great hot springs in the area - Nakusp, Halcyon, and Ainsworth. The provincial parks in the area have some great sites right on beautiful lakes and some of the towns have municipal campgrounds as well.
New Adventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 10:07 AM   #3

Trailer: 5.0, 2018/juillet
Do the same in august to pick up ours 5.0 TA
Fournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 10:08 AM   #4

Forgot to mention - there are a number of free ferries operated by BC that are fun. The crossing at Balfour is, according to BC, the longest free ferry in the world - about a 35 minute ride. We often take the ferry when going to Kaslo for a weekend. No problem for travel trailers on the ferry.
New Adventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 10:23 AM   #5

Once you hit Ontario you will be amazed at where they locate the power poles that supply AC to your trailer in provincial parks. Don’t be surprised if it is at the front of your site by the road or in the bush half way between your site and the next...a real reach for the cord if that is on the door side. Long story short...you may want to pick up a 30 amp 25 foot extension cord. Best price in Canada is from Costco on line or Walmart.
Have a great trip.
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 12:01 PM   #6

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
We did Canmore to Ontario and back this past summer. No kids but we love beaches. Some campgrounds we liked with great beaches include Falcon Lake Provincial Park in Eastern Manitoba, Lake Superior (Agawa Bay) P P and Pancake Bay P P in Ontario. Kakabeka Falls P P near Thunder Bay has beautiful water falls. I agree with Eggscape about needing an extension cord if you wish to use shore power in many of the sites in the parks we visited. At some sites a 25 foot extension may not be long enough.
Old 12-03-2017, 01:12 PM   #7

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by etuna View Post
We did Canmore to Ontario and back this past summer. No kids but we love beaches. Some campgrounds we liked with great beaches include Falcon Lake Provincial Park in Eastern Manitoba, Lake Superior (Agawa Bay) P P and Pancake Bay P P in Ontario. Kakabeka Falls P P near Thunder Bay has beautiful water falls. I agree with Eggscape about needing an extension cord if you wish to use shore power in many of the sites in the parks we visited. At some sites a 25 foot extension may not be long enough.
At Kakabeka Falls on the Thanksgiving weekend had to leave the trailer much further forward on the site than I wanted even with my 25ft. extension it was a long reach to the power post, and having the cord coming from under the trailer near the step and across the front of the site was pretty ugly (post was half way to next site to our right facing the road).

Adrian
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 01:16 PM   #8

Trailer: Escape 2018 / 17B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakanaka View Post
We will be picking up our trailer in June, also going west (Ottawa area). There is a campground 1-2 km east from Escape Trailers Cottonwood Meadows RV Country Club. This is where we are planning to do our setup. There is a large shopping centre (CTire also near by) a few more kms east of there if you need to stock up before you go.
bitsnbytes13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 04:41 PM   #9

Trailer: 2011 19'
1.After picking up the trailer head out to Harrison Hotsprings (about 20 miles?). You can get campsites with services or dry camp at Sasquatch Provincial Park. (get reservations) There is a great music festival the second week of July (I think). We may camp there ourselves next year, and attend the festival every day (it's free).
2. We can never get enough of Grasslands National Park, in southern Saskatchewan, for its wildlife diversity. Birds, Buffalo, Rattle Snakes, Prairie Dogs etc.

My Blog; https://lenanddian.blogspot.com
Old Fulica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 05:20 PM   #10

Trailer: 2012- 17'B.... 2016 Tacoma SR5 TRD
Be sure to stop in at Drumheller 3 days min.
https://www.travelalberta.com/ca/pla...r/campgrounds/

A little north of Calgary