Chisos Basin campground at Big Bend - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-24-2015, 10:05 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Chisos Basin campground at Big Bend

I've been to Big Bend National Park a few times, but so far not with my Escape 21. I was wondering if anyone with a 21 has camped at the Chisos Basin campground. The Big Bend NP website says trailers over 20 feet long are "not recommended", but I'd be tempted to try. So, has anyone camped there with a 21?
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 10:18 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
I've been to Big Bend National Park a few times, but so far not with my Escape 21. I was wondering if anyone with a 21 has camped at the Chisos Basin campground. The Big Bend NP website says trailers over 20 feet long are "not recommended", but I'd be tempted to try. So, has anyone camped there with a 21?
I wouldn't hesitate to camp at Chisos with a 19, so I hardly see how a 21 is a problem. The campsites are "smallish" but there aren't any trees to block a bigger rig from backing in. There are also a few pull throughs. The road in is also fine for a 21. I've definitely seen bigger rigs there. I'd say go for it.
Old 02-24-2015, 11:39 PM   #3
Site Team

Should have added this though Mike: there are two or three hairpin turns on the road into the campground if I remember. The reason they don't "recommend" trailers over 20 feet is that the hairpins may require you to nudge into the oncoming traffic lane a bit. I don't think its a big deal, but FYI.
Old 02-25-2015, 12:30 AM   #4

Trailer: 2016 21' Escape (usetaowna a 19, a Burro and 2 Casitas)
Quote:
Thanks for bringing this up. It's on our radar for November during the Terlingua Chili Cookoff. If you look on Google Earth, you can see what look to me like a couple larger RV's up there. I read on a campsite review website (RVParkReview.com?) that under 30 would be ok. I'm going to try it with the 19.

Speaking of the chili cookoff, anybody been? I hear anything from a fun outing to wild drunken bikers. At this stage of my life, I think I prefer the former...
Greggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 05:33 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggo View Post
Thanks for bringing this up. It's on our radar for November during the Terlingua Chili Cookoff. If you look on Google Earth, you can see what look to me like a couple larger RV's up there. I read on a campsite review website (RVParkReview.com?) that under 30 would be ok. I'm going to try it with the 19.

Speaking of the chili cookoff, anybody been? I hear anything from a fun outing to wild drunken bikers. At this stage of my life, I think I prefer the former...
Terlingua is both of those Greg, and everything in between. There are two cookoffs, and both of them claim to be the "original" and the best. Both of them turn into a party and the chili kind of takes a back seat.

I'd say if you're a biker, or senior, or family looking for a fun outing they have something for everybody. In some ways its like Mardi Gras in the desert, but nowhere near as crazy. Plenty of family folks and tamer venues. The photos on this page give you a feel for it:

The Ghost Town in Terlingua, Texas, is the home of the Big Bend Holiday Hotel, the Terlingua Trading Company, and the Starlight Theatre Restaurant and Bar.
Old 02-25-2015, 05:53 AM   #6

Trailer: Escape 21 November 2014; 2022 GMC 1500 3.0L
Quote:
Mike,
We stayed south for our initial trip home in November, and stopped at Big Bend with our 21'. We towed up to Chisos for a look for a quick visit, but didn't spend the night, although there was room. The road gets a little interesting at a couple of points, but in the off-season shouldn't be a problem. The grade up to Chisos is gradual but on the steeper side, so watch your temps. Definitely worth going, since the sandy camp site down near the river seemed less inviting to us.
Bill
Bill and Earline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 08:16 AM   #7

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
We were there just a few weeks ago but with a 19'. I agree with pretty much all that is stated above. The CG hosts live in larger class A's so yes you can get up there. My advice would be to go up and stop at the sign in area then walk the CG to find a spot. We made a wrong turn and had to backup up a bit in the CG. The CG itself can be quite tight and of the 60 sites most are not suitable for our sized rigs but we did find a great pull thru site.

Steve
2019 Chevy Silverado RST 1500, 5.3L
sjnuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 08:31 AM   #8

Although this shot does not give you the best idea of the CG setup, the views are quite nice!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0300.jpg  
Old 02-25-2015, 08:41 AM   #9

And a fun photo with the clear night sky.
Attached Thumbnails
Starry Escape.jpg  
Old 02-25-2015, 10:38 AM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Okay. I've been to Chisos Basin and knew about the switchbacks on the road, I had just wondered if there was any other reason for the length restriction. Apparently there isn't, at least for a 21-foot trailer.

While discussing Big Bend, has anyone camped at the Cottonwood campground at Castelon?
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 11:15 PM   #11

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
While discussing Big Bend, has anyone camped at the Cottonwood campground at Castelon?
We were there over Thanksgiving - in tents. Far fewer people use Cottonwood than the two other "big ones" - which makes it all that more attractive for us. The individual sites seem a tad bigger than RGV and are probably a lot bigger than Chisos Basin. We were entertained by various raptors, owls and javelinas almost every evening. The trees are big but not too close together so you probably can get direct sun on your solar most of the day if you park wisely.

PM me if you want to go into more detail.

--
Alan
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote