Colorado travel: Highway 40 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 08-04-2018, 06:31 PM   #1

Trailer: escape 19
Colorado travel: Highway 40

Hello All,

We are planning a trip across the US. We saw that Hwy 40 may be a nice route from Salt Lake to Denver. It also seems to have a few very high passes.

Has anyone taken that route towing a trailer? What suggestions do you have?

Regards paul
mrpdk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 07:33 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpdk View Post
Hello All,

We are planning a trip across the US. We saw that Hwy 40 may be a nice route from Salt Lake to Denver. It also seems to have a few very high passes.

Regards paul
It is a very nice route, and we've been on it several times. Don't really have any suggestions other than enjoy the ride. Make sure to stop at Dinosaur National Monument just east of Vernal if you have the time. Worth a visit. We also like Heber City and have fond memories of riding on the Heber Creeper.

One other thing: at Kremmling CO you have a choice of staying on US40 and heading toward Granby and Winter Park, or going down highway 9 to I-70. Highway 9 is much quicker and easier, but we like the scenery on the Winter Park route much more. The road does get a bit twisty however. Nothing you can't handle with a trailer, just be on your toes.
Old 08-04-2018, 07:46 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA picked up in July 2017.
I pulled my 5.0TA from Flaming Gorge to Steamboat Springs, Silverthorn and into Denver in late June on my way home from Olympic National Park. I have also gone HWY 14 thru the Poudre River Canyon and Hwy 34 up into Rocky Mountain National Park and over the Trail Ridge Road. I haven't been between Vernal, UT and SLC but near Vernal you can stop at Dinosaur National Monument, the dinosaur fossils are at the entrance near Vernal. I camped at the Green River campground in the monument and the no see um bugs came right thru my screens. They were gnats and didn't seem to bite but I killed hundreds in the bathroom. I go to Steamboat Springs a couple times a year and camp near the summit of Rabbit Ears Pass at 10,000 ft. I love the downtown hot springs pool, there is a nice bicycling path thru the town along the river and a good tapas bar, the Mahogany Grill which has tapas during Happy Hour from 3:00 to 5:00. Then walk to the Hot Spring Pool.
The passes aren't bad but I pull with a 2010 F 150 with a 5.4 V8 engine. The roads are pretty well maintained as people need to get to the ski areas during winter.
SFDavis50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 09:57 PM   #4

Trailer: 2012 E19
I just traveled that way in July, from Steamboat Springs to SLC. The road is good all the way, not bumpy. Scenery in NW CO was sort of bland IMO. I had a wonderful campsite NW of Vernal in the Ashley NF, at Whiterocks NF CG. No water at the CG right now (it's shut off for some reason), but the place was cool (68* by dark), peaceful and fragrant under the pines with the sound of a rushing stream faintly heard. I took a walk on the dead end road past the CG after dinner and again after breakfast... no vehicles. No mosquitos, either. Weekends might be busy there, but midweek there was only one other camper besides myself.
Mike G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 07:34 AM   #5

Trailer: 2013 19' Escape 1977 Trillium 1300
Favorite campground if you are staying in Denver is the Clear Creek RV Park in Golden. Right downtown Golden, walk to downtown, restaurants, etc. Owned and operated by the city of Golden. Not cheap but worth it.

Reservations are usually needed 60 days in advance. Spend a few nights!

Don't overlook I-70. Its a pretty scenic section of Interstate. In Utah, it brings you relatively close to Capitol Reef and Arches. In Colorado, you start with Colorado National Monument near the border with Utah. Its a real surprise!
NCBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 05:07 PM   #6

Trailer: 2015 19 foot
We are also going to be going from SLC to Dinosaur NM and then to Black Canyon of the Gunnison NP. Thanks for the information on Rt 40. How about Rt 139 over the Douglas Pass? Or is it necessary to detour Rt 64 to Meeker and then Rt 13 to Rifle and then I-70 back to Grand Junction?
Old 08-05-2018, 05:08 PM   #7

Yes, CO National Monument is very scenic and worth a drive through. There's a CG in the monument, high up with a view, as well as a nice state park with some hookups about 5 miles from the north entrance.
Old 08-05-2018, 06:08 PM   #8

Trailer: Escape 1721
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCBill View Post
Favorite campground if you are staying in Denver is the Clear Creek RV Park in Golden. Right downtown Golden, walk to downtown, restaurants, etc. Owned and operated by the city of Golden. Not cheap but worth it.

Reservations are usually needed 60 days in advance. Spend a few nights!

Thanks for the tip about Clear Creek. Been wanting to visit Golden and Denver and that is an excellent location in town.
rotateclockwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 06:19 PM   #9

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Hey Rotate, is your trailer a 2017 21' Escape? never heard of a 1721 model?
Old 08-05-2018, 06:22 PM   #10

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpdk View Post
Hello All,

Regards paul

One suggestion: Between Winter Park and I-70 you will have to traverse Berthod Pass. This is a serious pass by Colorado standards and will require skillful use of lower gears and careful application of brakes to avoid overheating. I would consider turning south at Kremmling onto route 9 and head for Silverthorn to join with I-70. Yes, you will have to go "under" Loveland Pass through the tunnel, but that is a 4 lane highway with far fewer twists and switchbacks than Berthod. And route 9 is essentially flat. I have done the Kremmling-Silverthorn-Denver option a half-dozen times with my '21 and would always prefer it over the Berthod Pass option.

--
Alan
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 06:52 PM   #11

Trailer: Escape 1721
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Hey Rotate, is your trailer a 2017 21' Escape? never heard of a 1721 model?

Yes, 1721 is short for a 2017 21'. Great trailer. This one is a keeper!
rotateclockwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 10:18 AM   #12

Trailer: escape 19
Thank you for your ideas and suggestions so far. We will be using some of these.
mrpdk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 02:53 PM   #13

The city park in Craig CO has some moderately interesting wood carvings you could stop and see. (They are deteriorating, unfortunately.) The park is just a block or so north of the main drag. It's worth 10-15 minutes to stop and stretch your legs.

Click image for larger version

Name:	18DSCF1872sm.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	272.9 KB
ID:	33283

Tags
colorado, hwy 40, mountain passes