Countdown - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 06-06-2015, 11:18 PM   #1

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Countdown

Every time I see someone mentioning the number of days to pick-up, I look at where we are and wonder what we should be doing. A bit more than two months left.

We need our passport cards and as much of our "necessary" camping items as we can fit. We will try to sort those out of the whole big pile soon. Have to have most days booked due to going in August, so working on that. Expect to get our orientation straight shortly.

Been to the Pacific Northwest and have seen the great Haystack and Portland and Seattle and the San Juan Islands. Also California many times. Been to city areas in Canada including Ottawa, Montreal, Toronto, Quebec and Victoria. So we will finally be seeing Banff and Jasper and points east, which will be a totally different kind of trip. It is amazing how having a trailer changes one's traveling mainly to the outdoors rather than the indoors. And that will be a great change.

What else do we need to do to get ready?
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 11:51 PM   #2

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floating Cloud View Post
(snip) It is amazing how having a trailer changes one's traveling mainly to the outdoors rather than the indoors. And that will be a great change.

What else do we need to do to get ready?
That's what I'm looking forward to for when we get our trailer. My husband has been all over the world with his mother on her various trips and cruises. He acts as her sherpa and minder. Some of the places I would have loved to have gone to, but I never would have been able to handle the long flights squished in those stupid airplane seats with some chair reclining idiot in front of me. Or the worry about eating food that would make me sick due to my food restriction.

BUT, with a trailer I don't have to worry about that. There's so much to explore in the US and Canada. I'll have my own kitchen with me and I can stretch out when I want to relax.

Do you have a check list of what all you think you'll need and all that? I'd start setting stuff aside now as that time will creep up on you and before you know it you have a bazillion things to pack and not enough time to do it. Set aside one area of the house and start putting your stuff there. Check it off your list.

One thing I forgot on my recent motorhome, month-long rental. Roll of quarters for the laundry! Fortunately each place made change, but you never know.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 12:07 AM   #3

We happen to have a built-in place in the console for quarters and I keep more elsewhere but will put that on the list because we will need more. When camping, they are often needed for showers, and we will need the Canadian version! Thanks! No change for showers available and no one around at night when you need it.

Travelling overseas on a plane is not the problem that it is here. The planes are always big and the seats are comfortable enough, nothing like domestic. And some of the airlines in other countries have their own nice touches.

We will be sorting our items for the trailer and it is a matter of trying to fit what we need. Too bad someone in Chilliwack or WA does not have a service to keep what you ship up there for your Escape!
Old 06-07-2015, 12:42 AM   #4

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quarters won't get you far.
Generally need "loons" for the shower.
Old 06-07-2015, 01:13 AM   #5

Birds for the shower. Right. Have to remember to get some after crossing.
Old 06-07-2015, 08:01 AM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Quarters won't get you far.
Generally need "loons" for the shower.
It was a loonie for 5 minutes at Osoyoos. Nice showers there. Even Lisa, with all her hair could shower within that 5 minute time.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 08:37 AM   #7
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
It was a loonie for 5 minutes at Osoyoos. Nice showers there. Even Lisa, with all her hair could shower within that 5 minute time.
I've been ripped off! In the shower house I used, it was a loonie for 3 minutes. It was fine, 3 bucks... 9 minute shower and I was clean
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 08:42 AM   #8

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Quote:
WA does not have a service to keep what you ship up there for your Escape!
One option would be to send packages to yourself from a UPS Store near you to one in Bellingham. I remember seeing a UPS Store in Bellingham and there may be one in Sumas. Another option would be to just make a list of what you think you will need and just wait and buy them after you pickup your trailer. There is a Campingworld south of Bellingham and all kinds of stores in Bellingham.

Grant

“The journey not the arrival matters.” – T. S. Eliot
Grant & Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 08:49 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I've been ripped off! In the shower house I used, it was a loonie for 3 minutes. It was fine, 3 bucks... 9 minute shower and I was clean
You must have used the showers in the old building (the one we had the meals in), as the other was definitely a loonie for 5 minutes (just checked with Lisa to be certain). Now you know for next year.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 06-07-2015, 06:26 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant & Kathy View Post
One option would be to send packages to yourself from a UPS Store near you to one in Bellingham. I remember seeing a UPS Store in Bellingham and there may be one in Sumas. Another option would be to just make a list of what you think you will need and just wait and buy them after you pickup your trailer. There is a Campingworld south of Bellingham and all kinds of stores in Bellingham.

Grant
Thank you for your reply. I certainly hope we are not buying anything or much there. Don't know if we want to take a chance on sending by UPS. We will have to get a better idea of what we can fit and see if that is all of the must-haves. It occurred to us to take a trailer up there with our stuff but that is more trouble than it seems worth. We expect to be on the road for several weeks coming back and won't have most of our trailer items.
Old 06-07-2015, 06:34 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant & Kathy View Post

Grant
Thank you for your reply. I certainly hope we are not buying anything or much there. Don't know if we want to take a chance on sending by UPS. We will have to get a better idea of what we can fit and see if that is all of the must-haves. It occurred to us to take a trailer up there with our stuff but that is more trouble than it seems worth. We expect to be on the road for several weeks coming back and won't have most of our trailer items.
Old 06-07-2015, 06:46 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Corps of Engineers and many others charge only a quarter for three minutes, varies a little but nowhere near that expensive. That's all right. We are making a wide berth around some parts of Canada where we hear some people may not have had a shower for weeeeks! You will note that some people have to check with their wives as to anything regarding showers!
Old 06-07-2015, 09:28 PM   #13

Quote:
Corps of Engineers and many others charge only a quarter for three minutes, varies a little but nowhere near that expensive. That's all right. We are making a wide berth around some parts of Canada where we hear some people may not have had a shower for weeeeks! You will note that some people have to check with their wives as to anything regarding showers!
Our cheap loonie for 5 minutes, is not a lot more than your quarter for 3.

Not sure where you got this defamatory info about Canadians, but I can say living here my entire life, I have never heard of it. Just to be clear, we don't all live in igloos or sod huts any more either.
Old 06-07-2015, 10:56 PM   #14

Expecting to see Escape "igloos" or Eggloos. Heard the shower thing on Fiberglassrv. LOL
I have no doubt that most Canadians are cleaner than most Americans not to mention the country in general. I hear the provincial parks are great and am looking forward to staying at those.
Old 06-07-2015, 10:59 PM   #15
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
I have no doubt that most Canadians are cleaner than most Americans not to mention the country in general.
Seriously? Lol
Old 06-08-2015, 12:51 AM   #16

Oh, please, we know you are very clean.