Cross country, how miles a day? - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 04-26-2015, 11:10 AM   #1

Trailer: 19' towed by a 4Runner
Cross country, how many miles a day?

Hope this thread is in the right place. Wondering how many miles a day you have towed? I'm planning on picking up my Escape in August via New Jersey. A few things have changed and now my daughter goes back to school before Labor Day weekend. This is a loss of about 4-6 extra days I was factoring into our trip, super fun days I was counting on. Trying to not to have to drive everyday. What are some of your long mileage habits? At what point do you burnout?

GRINGOandTICA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 11:40 AM   #2

Trailer: 2016 Tacoma Off Road, 2017 21
I'm afraid my daily mileage is not practical for many, but being retired, I'm in no hurry. My last cross country trip was 305 days, averaging 134 miles per driving day, shortest 1.7 miles, longest 350.8. If given the choice, I prefer to do under 200 miles per day, stopping around 1:00 - 2:00PM so I have time to set up, relax, take in the area, and plan for the next leg.

Old 04-26-2015, 11:57 AM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19', 1974 Boler
There are so many variables including time and vehicle comfort. I also like to stay 200 miles or less a day when on vacation BUT if I am driving to a destination and often on my first day to get a good start I will drive 500-600 miles in one day (my TV is incredibly comfortable for long drives). My normal work day starts very early so I keep that schedule and I am usually on the road by 4:00 a.m. or shortly after.
Ian G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 12:29 PM   #4

Trailer: 2008 Escape 5.0
When we drove from Albuquerque, NM to Chilliwack in July 2013 to pick up our used 2008 Escape 5.0 at the factory we drove about 500 miles per day (without the trailer...heading up to BC). On the way home we kept it at about 300 miles per day and found that plenty enough to go with the trailer. We had pre-reserved all the overnight stops so we knew exactly where we were going each day. That eliminates some stress when traveling in unfamiliar areas.
Sandia Park, New Mexico
FMLNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 01:21 PM   #5
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Last year we left Osoyoos on Sunday morning stopped 2 nights in Montana, 3rd night in BadLands, SD, 4th night in Indiana and home in Pennsylvania on 5th night. Five 600 mile days, you may need one more.
Old 04-26-2015, 01:26 PM   #6

Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
Been doing 350ish...
Old 04-26-2015, 01:53 PM   #7

Trailer: 2008 Escape 5.0
We have found that it takes us about 7 hours to go about 300 miles, including gas and meal stops. This is using mostly interstate highways at about 60-65mph max. So, when planning a trip on highways, we figure an average of 50mph plus time for stops/rest breaks....it all depends on how long one wants to drive on a given day....an nice early start helps.
Sandia Park, New Mexico
FMLNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 02:20 PM   #8

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
Travel over long distances, like Jim mentions above, can be made easier by utilizing your Escape to the fullest. We make every effort to maximize daylight, this makes the long time in drive mode easier and most important that daylight is critical for finding a location and parking our trailer.

We learned quickly that attempting to stay in established campgrounds added substantial time to find and drive to. They also require some planning and the willingness to accept short and long days. With proper planning for meals and eating our own food we make faster stops and a healthy alternative. We overnight at those locations offering Free RV Parking, frequently Walmart or in the west, Cabela's.

Evenings are the time to utilize the shower, walk for exercise or stock up on provisions.

Such a life style is pretty boring and only used when long distances are involved. It also has other downsides. We would much prefer the 200 miles every other day routine to explore and relax.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 02:23 PM   #9

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
We like the 200 miles a day approach, unless we're pressed for time. It allows us to sleep in a bit, have an unhurried breakfast and actually enjoy the coffee, review our route, do some journaling, and go at a nice easy pace with plenty of daylight left for setting up at the next campsite. On a couple of legs during our trip home from Chilliwack, we had to drive 350 or 400 miles and it wasn't nearly as enjoyable.
Old 04-26-2015, 03:24 PM   #10

Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
What we've run into is if we stay in Walmarts and the like, we don't want to pull in too early, not my idea of a nice place to while away the hours but at times it's the only or best option. Hence we travel farther on days we'll be staying at such and try to pull in around 6 or 7pm. If there is a state park or some such we want to hit we'll pull in early, like 1pm, and make it a short day. Being early risers we're usually on the road by 8am. We're not at point yet in life where there is no time frame for a trip, even if it's an 8 week trip, there is a start and finish date.