Cross country, how miles a day? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 04-26-2015, 10:10 AM   #1

Trailer: 19' towed by a 4Runner
Cross country, how many miles a day?

Hope this thread is in the right place. Wondering how many miles a day you have towed? I'm planning on picking up my Escape in August via New Jersey. A few things have changed and now my daughter goes back to school before Labor Day weekend. This is a loss of about 4-6 extra days I was factoring into our trip, super fun days I was counting on. Trying to not to have to drive everyday. What are some of your long mileage habits? At what point do you burnout?
GRINGOandTICA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 10:40 AM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I'm afraid my daily mileage is not practical for many, but being retired, I'm in no hurry. My last cross country trip was 305 days, averaging 134 miles per driving day, shortest 1.7 miles, longest 350.8. If given the choice, I prefer to do under 200 miles per day, stopping around 1:00 - 2:00PM so I have time to set up, relax, take in the area, and plan for the next leg.
Old 04-26-2015, 10:57 AM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19', 1974 Boler
There are so many variables including time and vehicle comfort. I also like to stay 200 miles or less a day when on vacation BUT if I am driving to a destination and often on my first day to get a good start I will drive 500-600 miles in one day (my TV is incredibly comfortable for long drives). My normal work day starts very early so I keep that schedule and I am usually on the road by 4:00 a.m. or shortly after.
Ian G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 11:29 AM   #4

Trailer: none
When we drove from Albuquerque, NM to Chilliwack in July 2013 to pick up our used 2008 Escape 5.0 at the factory we drove about 500 miles per day (without the trailer...heading up to BC). On the way home we kept it at about 300 miles per day and found that plenty enough to go with the trailer. We had pre-reserved all the overnight stops so we knew exactly where we were going each day. That eliminates some stress when traveling in unfamiliar areas.
Sold both 7/22
FMLNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 12:21 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Last year we left Osoyoos on Sunday morning stopped 2 nights in Montana, 3rd night in BadLands, SD, 4th night in Indiana and home in Pennsylvania on 5th night. Five 600 mile days, you may need one more.
Old 04-26-2015, 12:26 PM   #6

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Been doing 350ish...
Old 04-26-2015, 12:53 PM   #7

Trailer: none
We have found that it takes us about 7 hours to go about 300 miles, including gas and meal stops. This is using mostly interstate highways at about 60-65mph max. So, when planning a trip on highways, we figure an average of 50mph plus time for stops/rest breaks....it all depends on how long one wants to drive on a given day....an nice early start helps.
Sold both 7/22
FMLNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 01:20 PM   #8

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
Travel over long distances, like Jim mentions above, can be made easier by utilizing your Escape to the fullest. We make every effort to maximize daylight, this makes the long time in drive mode easier and most important that daylight is critical for finding a location and parking our trailer.

We learned quickly that attempting to stay in established campgrounds added substantial time to find and drive to. They also require some planning and the willingness to accept short and long days. With proper planning for meals and eating our own food we make faster stops and a healthy alternative. We overnight at those locations offering Free RV Parking, frequently Walmart or in the west, Cabela's.

Evenings are the time to utilize the shower, walk for exercise or stock up on provisions.

Such a life style is pretty boring and only used when long distances are involved. It also has other downsides. We would much prefer the 200 miles every other day routine to explore and relax.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 01:23 PM   #9
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
We like the 200 miles a day approach, unless we're pressed for time. It allows us to sleep in a bit, have an unhurried breakfast and actually enjoy the coffee, review our route, do some journaling, and go at a nice easy pace with plenty of daylight left for setting up at the next campsite. On a couple of legs during our trip home from Chilliwack, we had to drive 350 or 400 miles and it wasn't nearly as enjoyable.
Old 04-26-2015, 02:24 PM   #10

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
What we've run into is if we stay in Walmarts and the like, we don't want to pull in too early, not my idea of a nice place to while away the hours but at times it's the only or best option. Hence we travel farther on days we'll be staying at such and try to pull in around 6 or 7pm. If there is a state park or some such we want to hit we'll pull in early, like 1pm, and make it a short day. Being early risers we're usually on the road by 8am. We're not at point yet in life where there is no time frame for a trip, even if it's an 8 week trip, there is a start and finish date.
Old 04-26-2015, 02:34 PM   #11
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
We're not at point yet in life where there is no time frame for a trip, even if it's an 8 week trip, there is a start and finish date.
We're not at that point either. Gotta get on a plane in the morning and go work.
Old 04-26-2015, 02:44 PM   #12

Trailer: 2001 coachmen
We traveled, weather permitting, 4 hours a day ...from 10-2pm.

Missed the individuals who are still in the rat race going to work and back.
reetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 03:04 PM   #13

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
Bummer. So how many days does that leave you with to get there and back?
Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 04:03 PM   #14

Trailer: 2014 17B;2012 Nissan Frontier SV 4
I'd also want to factor in terrain. For example mountains/prairies will make a huge difference. Also, since the whole towing thing is new to us, we don't bite off long daily distances. For example, last year we drove from Peachland, BC to Manning Park, BC. I don't remember how long that day was. But we had lots of hills and curves to deal with and then getting into a provincial park for the first time. I was quite tired when we finally were set up at the camp site. (FYI we really liked Manning Provincial Park.)

Larry
LarryandLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 04:19 PM   #15

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
We have made many Ohio to the Rocky Mountain West trips over the last 40 years. When you are working, or have to get back to school you just don't have a choice. 500-600 miles is a good target. 860 miles in one day was a stupid mistake not to be repeated. We choose a quick breakfast before breaking camp (or coffee and a muffin on the road). Lunch is a sandwich at a rest area. Travel is easier out west than in the east.

Although not perfect (or free) KOAs are convenient and usually reliable. Like McDonalds...you know what to expect most of the time.
SeldomSeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 05:15 PM   #16

With the extra insulation and double windows, truck stops are not that noisy, I'll pull over around 2 am and sleep till 6 am and then off for breakfast and another day of driving, then the second day stop at a KOA, shower and clean up and get in bed by 8 pm. Then repeat the same the next 2 days. That way I get in close to 12-14 hours one day and 8-10 the next. "Next Exit" is a good book or APP to have. I also fill up at 1/3 to prevent those, "I wished I had stopped at that last gas station 4 exits ago" scenario.
Old 04-26-2015, 05:51 PM   #17

Trailer: 19' towed by a 4Runner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthe View Post
Bummer. So how many days does that leave you with to get there and back?
Ruthe, I have a window of time myself August 11th to Sept 11th. They have the kids reporting to school the Thursday before Labor Day weekend. My daughter will be entering 7th grade, so I doubt even any homework that weekend. Knowing our district, bet a few other kids will miss those two days too.

Recently I've done a few day trips to Boston and DC for sight seeing. These have involved the return trip being at night. I use to love night driving, not so much anymore. In my 20's I drove across a few times. Sometimes in a rush, other times stopping to smell the roses. Even limped a 1978 VW bus across once. Some legs being 800 miles. IMO 300 or less while towing would be great, but don't want to have to drive everyday.

Heading west I see my wife helping out, heading home once hitched, I don't see her being interested in driving. I'd be ok with the trip as long as we scratch the surface at Yellowstone, soak at a few hot springs, and not spend the entire trip on the interstate. Not a whole lot I want to see between here and the Dakotas, beside maybe an Amusement Park in Ohio. $3000 to have it deliveried to NJ at the tail end of the season would not sit well after all the traveling sacrifices we made this harsh Winter. I want to do the trip, but be safe and have fun at the same time.
GRINGOandTICA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 06:25 PM   #18

Just remember Vinny,
The tolls going back will be a lot more than the ones going out, if you do travel on the turnpikes.
Old 04-26-2015, 07:06 PM   #19

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
We have made 3 trips of over 4000 miles and one of about 2500 miles in the last 2 years .
The daily average for miles driven was a little less than 150 miles /day . The longest one day drive was approx 500 miles . I do not enjoy driving ,that thrill was lost when I was a teenager plus we are retired so 5 to 6 hours per day of driving is more than enough for us. Driving 10 to 12 hours a day seems more like a job then a enjoyable vacation IMHO
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 07:16 PM   #20

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
We did 1450 miles back from Chilliwack in 2 days, pretty average for us.

Most of our (long) weekend camping will be within Colorado or a neighboring state; but for vacation we're inclined to spend more days at the destination and less commuting.
sturski is offline   Reply With Quote