Crossing Canadia border with small pet dog? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 08-16-2019, 01:52 PM   #1

Trailer: none yet
Crossing Canadia border with small pet dog?

Hi,

We are leaving our home in California for the exciting trip up to Chilliwack to pick up our new 19' on 8/22. We had planned on bringing our 8 yrs old spayed mini dachie but now I'm worried as I have no backup plan if the border agents don't allow her in with us. We have looked up the pet requirements and have her required complete original up-to-date rabies certificate and exam documents,
Has anyone had a problem taking their pets through the border in the last few monthes?
Can anyone recommend a good animal boarding facility nearby while we have our orientation?
I know others have taken their cats and dogs on this pickup trip so any suggestions are highly appreciated. We are so excited!
Purplecatstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 01:54 PM   #2

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
No problem all you need is the rabies certificate and they won't even ask for that.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 01:57 PM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Sounds like you're good to go. The only thing they might additionally ask, is if you have any open pet food. That almost seems to change daily though.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 02:00 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I get a letter signed by my vet within 90 days of traveling that my pet is current with all shots, particularly rabies. It has never been asked for......in fact they ask me to roll down the rear window and once they see the dogs they bring out treats....
Old 08-16-2019, 02:04 PM   #5

Trailer: escape 19
We just picked up our 19 in July and we brought our dog since we traveled from Florida. Everyone there was great with her during orientation -- they gave her lots of treats! It is a dog friendly environment. We had no trouble at the border; they didn't even ask for her shot record either entering or departing. Leaving Canada they only asked if we had any open dog food that had lamb, which we didn't. The hotel we stayed at the night before right next door Sure Stay by Best Western)also was dog friendly.
stevemcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 02:06 PM   #6

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
It's a good idea to take a small bag of the dog food in its original packaging, and check for any meats not allowed. But I've never been asked about that, either. Once or twice about rabies but not recently.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 02:39 PM   #7

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Same suggestions as above and we crossed with 3 little ShihTzu’s . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 02:53 PM   #8

Trailer: 21' Escape in production 12/05/19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purplecatstar View Post
Hi,

We are leaving our home in California for the exciting trip up to Chilliwack to pick up our new 19' on 8/22. We had planned on bringing our 8 yrs old spayed mini dachie but now I'm worried as I have no backup plan if the border agents don't allow her in with us. We have looked up the pet requirements and have her required complete original up-to-date rabies certificate and exam documents,
Has anyone had a problem taking their pets through the border in the last few monthes?
Can anyone recommend a good animal boarding facility nearby while we have our orientation?
I know others have taken their cats and dogs on this pickup trip so any suggestions are highly appreciated. We are so excited!
We just got back from our visit to Canada. They didn't even ask for our dog's papers, and we have two dogs (and had their paperwork in order). On the way back they asked us to roll down the window to see what was in our back seat. They dogs made it clear that they were the ones in charge of "security". LOL
Gori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 03:36 PM   #9

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gori View Post
We just got back from our visit to Canada. They didn't even ask for our dog's papers, and we have two dogs (and had their paperwork in order). On the way back they asked us to roll down the window to see what was in our back seat. They dogs made it clear that they were the ones in charge of "security". LOL
Yes, we always say there is a dog in the back seat. They respond just roll it down half way.

Coming back into the U.S. we were also asked about dog food with lamb which we did have. But we also had a receipt showing it was bought in the USA so they let us keep it. Advice: bring dog food receipts for crossing into the U.S.A.
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 04:10 PM   #10

Trailer: 2019 F150 eco boost with 2017 5.0 TA in tow
We have crossed the border a couple of times with a Boykin Spaniel and a Ratty and haven’t had any problems or questions.
RicVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 05:17 PM   #11

Trailer: 2016 Escape 21
Pets

We’ve crossed several times and simply take our dogs rabies certificates even though we’ve never been asked for them. The Canadian border officers often offer our dogs treats and are very friendly.
JaneM. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 05:30 PM   #12

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
The Best Western right next to Escape is pet friendly, there is even a night door for those night walks...
Old 08-16-2019, 06:55 PM   #13

Trailer: none yet
Thank you everyone for the pet information and assurances - I will have my unopened chicken Dry dog food with US receipt with "everything but the kitchen sink" packed! We already made our SureStay reservations too so it's off I go tommorow morning for the Chilliwack adventure - sure am excited!
Purplecatstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 08:26 PM   #14

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
If you cross into Canada with a small pet you have to return to the U.S. with a moose. NAFTA, you know.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 09:24 PM   #15

Trailer: 2016/ 5TA Spirit Bear
Crossed the border dozens of times on a boat and in our 5TA with our Golden Retrievers. Have a rabies certificate from your vet and you are good to go.
Mark James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 09:37 PM   #16

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Definitely a non-issue. Many dogs, many years, sum total of questions about dogs is about twice.

Even obnoxious Gertie, who barks furiously on approach to the booth and gives every impression of wanting to levitate and take the officers hand off, has never had a question asked about her. We give her a biscuit just as we arrive but she's determined to make her presence known.

Truth be told, Americans crossing into Canada are probably more likely to be asked about something else than Fido.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote