Current Border Situation - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-06-2019, 07:34 PM   #21

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
They can't read minds, feel pressured and under scrutiny, have a difficult job judging since 9-11. The new normal. A Niagara Falls border guard on the Canadian side once gave me such a time (I thought she was ready to pull her Glock on me), just because I (gulp!) didn't have a passport and wanted a picture of her searching my trailer. It was a wake-up for sure.

Remember "...you touch my junk and I'll have you arrested.?" Would a TSA guy order a strip search of a grandmother? Under these circumstances, no accounting for stupid.
Old 01-06-2019, 08:48 PM   #22

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
And, don't wear sunglasses. Take your hat off.
Yes sir.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
And open the rear windows in your rig if you can. We had loads of fun with the FJ one time.
Last summer on our way from Alberta to Idaho, I had the misfortune of wearing my baseball cap and prescription sunglasses in my FJ at the border crossing. Was the border guy ever mad about that! He asked us to pull over to the side and then confiscated our two oranges.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 08:58 PM   #23

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Walter View Post
He asked us to pull over to the side and then confiscated our two oranges.

Lucky he didn't give you a vasectomy.
Old 01-06-2019, 09:23 PM   #24

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Is this the one with the trailer, or are you leaving later. Our plan is for Saturday too.
No, Saturday is a down and back day. We're basically leaving towards the end of the month with a couple of stops in CA on our way to Q'site.

Speaking of Q'site, I wasn't just kidding about the "Where's Quartzsite" comment. That really happened. Adding "in Arizona" might have been the thing to do. I'll do it this year.

Are you taking FSR radios or CB's with you? I'd recommend having FSR radios in case several of us end up going through the Mexican border at the same time.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 10:32 PM   #25

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post

Are you taking FSR radios or CB's with you? I'd recommend having FSR radios in case several of us end up going through the Mexican border at the same time.

Ron
I had to goggle FSR radio, and did find FRS. I assume this is correct. Either way don't have them, though my brother might. I haven't had a CB radio since 1975.

When traveling in groups, which we do often, we usually just text, or if needed call as it is free for us in Canada and the US. In Mexico we would have to pay the daily fee for 10 days.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 10:44 PM   #26

OK, I have several pair and I'll bring them. My newest ones, Unidens, are way better than the older ones but the older ones will work, they just don't have nearly the range of the Unidens.

The problem with using phones is that you can run out of phone coverage in Baja pretty quickly.

We like having FSR radios because if one of us goes off to shop or kayaking etc. we can easily stay in touch.

Yup, I think my CB radios will now go in the same box where my antique cell phones live. Their day seems to be over for road use.

Ron
Old 01-06-2019, 10:59 PM   #27

I've got a pair of Uniden FRS radios. Got them for fishing, when one guy is down river and you want to check in with one another.
Most of the time, one or the other hadn't turned his on, or was on the wrong channel.
We also used them in caravan travel. Found our cell phones much more convenient as we could text. The radio required an immediate response ( what now, that I'm past the exit ? )
My cell phone is always in my pocket, always charged. My FRS radios are in a cupboard in the trailer, which reminds me, I should probably put them on charge.

I quite enjoyed listening to FRS during the Pacific National Exhibition. Seven year old kid on the radio says "Dad, are you there"? Seven dads answer, "I'm here". Fourteen kids say "where's there"?
"Where I left you, what do you think"?
Old 01-06-2019, 10:59 PM   #28

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Those radios do sound like a good idea. Not real expensive either.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 11:12 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Those radios do sound like a good idea. Not real expensive either.

Cheaper, and better, longer range.
Only needs radio protocol.
Mine have Weather channel too, which might be useful, if you need to justify the purchase.
Old 01-06-2019, 11:14 PM   #30

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Don't want to put a damper on the Mexican fun, but we are getting news reports that gas stations are running out of gas and there are long gas lines similar to the early 70's in the US. Not sure if the problems are widespread or localized to certain regions, but probably worth doing some research as it's a long walk back up from Baja.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 07:14 AM   #31

Trailer: 2014 21' Escape
I would be curious since marijuana became legal in Canada has that increased people being searched as they enter the US? Sure as heck gives them a reason to search more people I would think. Hope things smooth out soon.

Happy and safe travels,

Steve
stratos175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 07:25 AM   #32

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 towed by F-150 with 2.7l eb, formerly Escape 17B 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratos175 View Post
I would be curious since marijuana became legal in Canada has that increased people being searched as they enter the US? Sure as heck gives them a reason to search more people I would think. Hope things smooth out soon.

Happy and safe travels,

Steve
Canadian authorities have made it very clear to Canadians that crossing the border with even legally obtained weed continues to be illegal, even into Washington State where under state law it is also legal. However it certainly has been an issue with a question sometimes asked at the border “have you ever consumed marijuana?” especially as some Canadians have been illegally denied entry when choosing not to lie if they had consumed it previously.

Border staff can be bad assed dudes but can’t be messed with.
Chris & Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 07:36 AM   #33

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris & Patricia View Post
Canadian authorities have made it very clear to Canadians that crossing the border with even legally obtained weed continues to be illegal, even into Washington State where under state law it is also legal. However it certainly has been an issue with a question sometimes asked at the border “have you ever consumed marijuana?” especially as some Canadians have been illegally denied entry when choosing not to lie if they had consumed it previously.

Hi: Chris & Patricia... Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 10:08 AM   #34

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Cheaper, and better, longer range.
Only needs radio protocol.
Mine have Weather channel too, which might be useful, if you need to justify the purchase.

I'm assuming from this conversation that regs for the FRS radios are the same in the U.S. and Canada and you can freely use them in both countries. Is this correct?
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 11:25 AM   #35

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
I'm assuming from this conversation that regs for the FRS radios are the same in the U.S. and Canada and you can freely use them in both countries. Is this correct?
Yes, sort of...
Wikipedia does a good job of explaining FRS and GMRS which has been available both in the same radio. Some channels had higher output power than others...kind of a mess for the novice user. At the end of the article they explain country compatibility.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Family_Radio_Service

If you program your sub tone, it would be rare that you would hear another user. Of course you always have a pre agreed on backup channel and a code word when to switch.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 11:31 AM   #36

Canada seems to have had a long slide towards deregulating radio use including VHF and CB.

VHF used to require a station license and that the operator to have a restricted radio operators license. Over the years the regs slid and now, if you have the mis-fortune to use marine VHF, it's and unregulated zoo just like when CB was at it's worst.

At any rate, aside from power limitations, there doesn't seem to be much restriction on FSR use. One of our local big box stores even uses them for employees.

Ron
Old 01-07-2019, 11:44 AM   #37

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Of course if you are buying FRS radios you don’t want to get stuck with the half watt power output when you can legally have 2 watts. Manufacturers seldom put the power output rating on the box.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 04:29 PM   #38

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
Yes, sort of...
Wikipedia does a good job of explaining FRS and GMRS which has been available both in the same radio.

Thanks for the info and reference. I don't know if I could lose my ham radio license by abusing another radio service, but I don't want to take the risk.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 07:05 PM   #39

Trailer: 2012 Casita
Quote:

I wonder if consuming entails using a cream on owies? I plan to never bring it along if I head north, but I do find that a cannabis based salve seems to work to keep my back loosened up. I think I can take it legally into Oregon and CA Note that pot is still illegal on federal lands here in the U.S.
Slowpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 07:38 PM   #40

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Canadian authorities have made it very clear to Canadians that crossing the border with even legally obtained weed continues to be illegal, even into Washington State where under state law it is also legal. However it certainly has been an issue with a question sometimes asked at the border “have you ever consumed marijuana?” ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpat View Post
I wonder if consuming entails using a cream on owies? I plan to never bring it along if I head north, but..
This issue is not the same for each direction. Since use of marijuana is (within regulations) now legal federally in Canada, I don't see any reason for Canadian Border Services Agency staff to ask adult visitors to Canada if they have previously used it. Of course, don't carry it across the border - that's not legal in either direction - and don't expect to find the same types of products in Canada as in other countries.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote