Driving Cross Country towing a 17B - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 11-12-2018, 08:39 PM   #41

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B SOLD
Day 7 - Settled in Grand Canyon Railway RV Park, in Williams, Az, 28 F, Wind 13 MPH, at 6700 Ft high.

We got out of Albuquerque as the Snow Rain Flurries were coming in, lot of long inclines on our way here, but our trusty Highlander towed fine.
Water Leak Chapter is behind us now, & Pump is working fine for Fresh Water use.

My back is hurting some, hoping for a chair in our next Camper. I will go over to the Casita's site to see from where they got the Chairs for their Spirit model, as Donna showed in the picture above.

Tomorrow we will leave our Schnauzer with the Pet Resort attached to this RV Park, & board the Train for Grand Canyon.

This cold weather is throwing a wrench in going anywhere out plans, anyway we will make the most of this visit & plan to come back in summer, god willing & the creek don't rise.
disneydoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 07:14 AM   #42

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
JonV converted a seat to a marine captains chair attachment he purchased in his Escape 17. So there is that option....
Old 11-13-2018, 04:04 PM   #43

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by disneydoc View Post
Now California has fires & issues with smoke & air quality, we will see how it goes when we reach there next weekend...........

Raj,
Hope you're enjoying the Grand Canyon Rwy and the Canyon itself.

Regarding California and fire, air, and road conditions: info is available on the CalTrans quickmap: QuickMap

On the left are pulldown menus to turn on road conditions icons, and other features, to get up to date travel info.

As of now, Tuesday, if you're planning on US-101 or I-5 north out of the Los Angeles area, I-5 is clear (** see Edit); US-101 through Ventura County is open, but many off-ramps are closed to access south of the freeway due to the fires. but smoke is blowing out to the ocean. North of Ventura, US-101 is along the coast, and with clear skies.

Have a great trip.
Edit: 2:00 P.M. Tuesday: NOAA just issued the latest wind warning, which would include I-5 through the mountains north of Los Angeles:
...HIGH WIND WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 5 PM PST THIS AFTERNOON... * WINDS...Northeast winds 20 to 30 mph with gusts to 50 mph will persist through the afternoon. * IMPACTS...Winds this strong may down trees and power lines, causing property damage or power outages. Cross winds can make driving difficult, especially for drivers of high profile vehicles and vehicles towing trailers. PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS... A High Wind Warning means that damaging high winds of 58 mph or greater are likely or imminent. Secure all loose outdoor furniture in advance of the onset of strong winds. Monitor the latest forecasts on NOAA Weather Radio or your favorite media source.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 09:57 PM   #44

Day 8th - Grand Canyon AZ, El Tovar Hotel- Kachina Lodge, at 7000 ft high altitude, sunny day, 31 F, Wind 4MPH

Today morning we boarded the Grand Canyon Railway Train at the Depot in Williams AZ, after they had a 15 min Western Show right by the side of the Depot.
We rode the 2 hr 15 mins slow riding, fun train ride to the Canyon, they had musicians & the conductor was giving the running commentary about the place's history...., it had a restaurant with some good eats.
Soon after reaching the Canyon we took a hour & half long narrated Coach Ride of the South Rim. It had 3 halts showing the canyon from 3 different strategic points, with the driver telling us its history & associated interesting facts. The immensity & the scale of the Canyon makes you feel what a small part a human....you & I are in the grand scheme of the whole creation.
We were tired, climbing steps & hiking up hills by the time we reached the hotel. I was surprised seeing this much crowd on a cold November day.
Most of the dining up here in these lodges is managed by a single company, needs prior reservation, there are not too many restaurants around here & they have a sort of captive audience.
All in all a fun but a tiring day. I am off my driving duties today & tomorrow.

Thanks Don for the info on the devastating California Fires. You be safe & take care, I noticed that you live in the Ventura County
Old 11-14-2018, 08:48 PM   #45

Day 9 - Williams AZ, Grand Canyon Railway RV Park, 31F, Wind 6MPH,

Well rested in the Kachina Lodge last night, Harveys in Bright Angel Lodge was our favorite Restaurant for some sumptuous meals with no reservations needed.
DW went out of the hotel to the adjoining South Rim around 6 AM to see & shoot videos of the Canyon in all its grandeur at Sunrise.

We saw two brilliant, well made movies 1) Imax movie in Tusayan & 2) In the Visitors Center about the Grand Canyon its origin, Native Indians inhabitation, its discovery by Explorers, its geography, the Ponderosa Pines, & about Fred Harvey a Brit who made the infrastructure, hotels, routes etc...making it possible for visitors to come.

The train experience was very unique, with our attendant & a Musician keeping us entertained all the way back to Williams. Another fun filled day at the Grand Canyon.
Old 11-15-2018, 08:25 AM   #46

Day 10 - Williams Az, early morning 6 AM, 19F

Yesterday evening, we had problems with no water inside the Camper, with the hose connected to the Faucet outside to the City Water. I do not know if low Temp of upto 18F (-7C) is freezing up the pipes. We switched on the Pump & used from the Fresh Water Tank.
No kinks in the water hose, no leaks & with good water supply at the outside Faucet, then the water started coming by itself. This morning again there is no water from with the City water on, but the Pump is being needed.

I suspect Low Temp has something to do with no city water inside the Camper, but I do not know what to do to remedy that. Is it air in the camper pipes ? I am unable to come up with other reasons.

If some one has had these problems with no water would care to suggest any ways to helppppppp.
Thanks
Old 11-15-2018, 08:29 AM   #47
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:

Yesterday evening, we had problems with no water inside the Camper, with the hose connected to the Faucet outside to the City Water. I do not know if low Temp of upto 18F (-7C) is freezing up the pipes. We switched on the Pump & used from the Fresh Water Tank.
No kinks in the water hose, no leaks & with good water supply at the outside Faucet, then the water started coming by itself. This morning again there is no water from with the City water on, but the Pump is being needed.

I suspect Low Temp has something to do with no city water inside the Camper, but I do not know what to do to remedy that. Is it air in the camper pipes ? I am unable to come up with other reasons.

If some one has had these problems with no water would care to suggest any ways to helppppppp.
Thanks
Your water hose froze from bib to trailer. Make it a practice to disconnect it when the temperature is going to go below freezing. It's a simple solution....
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 09:24 AM   #48

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:

Thanks
I agree with Donna on unhooking when the overnight temperatures are going to be well below freezing.

A couple of things that can extend the use of the city water connection in freezing weather - keep the hose on the ground as much as possible. The earth will usually cool more slowly than the air. You can purchase a heated city water hose. I know some love them, others are not impressed, but it is a solution.

My "learning experience" with frozen city water connections was at at Willow Springs on US 395 a bit north of Bodie Ghost Town. Close to 8000', but it was warm, May 9th, so I hooked up. 22°F at 3:00AM, and it didn't warm up by the time I planned to leave at 8:00AM. The handle of the city water connection was frozen open. I managed to get the hose disconnected & rolled up (lots of crinkling) but couldn't close the faucet. I didn't want to leave it open since it would eventually thaw, but the problem was solved for me - as I walked by it, it unfroze, spraying me with ice water! At least I got to shut it off, and learned a lesson...
Old 11-15-2018, 09:53 AM   #49

Williams,
9AM 36 F

Thanks Donna & Jon, I appreciate your input & help. It does not take much to rattle me up in this cold country.

1) So now I will (try to) disconnect the water hose, which has become hard & is not pliable anymore, so put the mangled mess hose in the back of the SUV & leave for Vegas, where the Temps are a bit higher. Hopefully it will thaw by itself or buy a new water hose..

2) I have to empty the Tanks, as they are 2/3 full, should I do it now (It is 36F now) or wait till I reach Vegas .

Thanks a lot
Old 11-15-2018, 09:56 AM   #50
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
2) I have to empty the Tanks, as they are 2/3 full, should I do it now (It is 36F now) or wait till I reach Vegas .

Thanks a lot
Either way is fine since it's above freezing. Depends on if the additional weight is a problem for you. I don't particular want to tow with water in the gray water tank, but often tow with the black water more than half full. Figure the extra sloshing will help breakdown solids, etc.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 11:13 AM   #51

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Get yourself a heated supply hose to use in this type of situation or fill your tank and disconnect before retiring, your choice. These hoses are expensive https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...w?cm_vc=-10005
Attached Thumbnails
1227271.jpeg  
Old 11-15-2018, 01:53 PM   #52

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
If you’re still in Williams there’s a good Thai restaurant.
Old 11-15-2018, 08:58 PM   #53

Day 11 - Las Vegas RV Resort, 62F wind 2MPH

We got settled in the Park, and are happy to change into T Shirts, Shorts & get out of warm clothes which we had on when we left Williams AZ this morning.
I placed the frozen water hose in a bucket & left it in the Shower, it thawed & was ready for use here. That was a good lesson, learned the hard way to disconnect the water in freezing temperature.
The Flexible Hose Protector & a Coupler Lock are not available at the local Walmart, I would need to order them online when we get back home.

This park is right in the middle of the city, sites are close to each other, their regulations sheet reads as though it was meant for a prison to keep every guest in line & as if they are doing a favor & a obligation on us. They did have good reviews in RVPark reviews, so here we are to stay here for close to a week. Our plan is to attend as many shows as we can & goof around the Sin city.

I want to thank everyone for chiming in & I hope to meet Donna, Jon & CPA sometime, who give their time & advice to others on this very helpful Forum. I for one have been a beneficiary of their advise.

Thanks to every one
Old 11-16-2018, 09:07 PM   #54

Day 12 - Las Vegas RV Resort, 6.30 PM 58F, W 3MPH, a beautiful sunny day

We spent the day at Hoover Dam, an easy 30 mile drive south of Vegas - We were in total awe seeing this masterpiece, a giant concrete structure, a testimony to what men with vision can do, to build & raise the largest Dam in the middle of nowhere out of canyons & Desert land.
Man could tame a mighty Colorado river to an orderly flow of water to irrigate the Desert land in the place of floods & drought it used to cause. It brought water & with it came livelihood, prosperity & progress to many western states.

A major part of the Hoover Dam Visitors Center is presently closed for construction til Feb 2019 & so is the Dam Tour. We drove up & down the Strip on our way back to the Camper, DW is planning the shows to go to, starting tomorrow.

I screwed on the Hose Protector to the Water Bib & the Brass L to the Camper. No leaks now.
Old 11-16-2018, 11:13 PM   #55

Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
It’s a fascinating dam, disneydoc. I remember from a tour we did years ago, that the interior concrete is so deep and so thick, that after all these years it is not now, and will never be completely dry.
Enjoy the shows and don’t leave too much of your hard earned cash behind.

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 09:15 PM   #56

Day 13 - Las Vegas RV Resort, 56F, Wind 2 mph, Nice Sunny Day, gets dark here by 5PM.

Circus Circus on the Strip was OK, those Slot Machines do not do anything for me, saw few Trapeze acts there, the whole place looked like a zoo to me with different children games, some eating places mixed in.

We have decided against going to the Bay area, due to smoke, people are wearing masks there, some how it does not seem a good time to visit. We have been to the Bay area many times in the past.
That means we will be staying here in Vegas till Thanksgiving, ie a total week here instead of 3 days originally planned. We are thinking of getting a 3 day Hop On Hop Off Ticket & go around the place & see some shows. I am getting a feeling I may get bored staying here for a week, we will see how it goes........
Old 11-17-2018, 09:31 PM   #57

Trailer: 2018 19'
Visit or better yet camp at red rock canyon or valley of fire. Both amazing places w nice cgs. Red rock has just one. Blm free camping out of Overton on poverty flats.
Old 11-17-2018, 09:33 PM   #58
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
got a tip to check out Jessie Rae's BBQ in Vegas, supposed to be some of the best ribs-n-stuff in the western US. little hole in the wall unassuming joint...

me, I avoid Vegas (I call it Lost Wages) like the plague, but if I'm ever passing through again, Jessie's is a must stop from what I hear.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 10:21 PM   #59

Trailer: 2017 19'
Yeah it’s probably a good idea to stay away from the Bay Area, although when we left this morning the air quality was better than the previous days already.
caddoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 02:10 PM   #60

Trailer: 2012 Escape 17B, 2011 Ranger FX4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chama View Post
. . . comments on "winging it when on the open road". I think that is entirely a matter of personality and personal preference. As an old pilot who is stil alive to tell this tale, I am very uncomfortable unless I know exactly where I am going, . . .
We prefer the spontaneity of stopping or travelling on as the mood strikes us (we just traveled from late June to mid-September from Vancouver Island to Newfoundland & back without a single pre-planned stop or campground reservation -- and the only time we didn't get a campsite was on our last night homeward bound at Swiws (formerly Haynes Point) park at Osoyoos -- and even there we got a spot in the overflow area.
This is in direct contrast to how my Dad (yes, he was a private pilot!) liked to camp in his Westfalia in his 60's and 70's throughout the BC interior. When he passed away a few years ago, we found many of his trip itineraries (these were his planning itineraries, where he had detailed how to do the trips, not his after-trip reports) -- they looked like the Alaska Milepost books, with 0.1km-increment logs of where to turn onto what back road, at an expected time of 1420 hrs, in order to reach such-and-such camping spot at km x.x on the shore of Chilko Lake between 1715 & 1730 hrs. But he did love his planned trips - as we love our unplanned ones!
Sometimes his planning or preparation had flaws, and luck stepped in to bail him out -- like his back-road trip through the Chilcotin where, because of the remote gravel roads he expected to drive, he took two spare tires, mounted on rims, and luckily never needed them -- only to discover on his return that the rims were the wrong size for the Westfalia!